Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

648 posts, read 3,094,597 times

Advertisements

davev you're exactly right. i've traveled to many places in the u.s. and there are clearly differences in the way people interact. you mentioned boston so i thought id put in my two cents about the east coast. i found people in the east to be as friendly as people in the midwest. i'm moving to upstate ny in spring of 2009 and i can't wait!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM

77 posts, read 230,134 times
Default I agree with Dave

we are a product of our environment to some degree, I am not as friendly as I was when I came here, Its kind of like when in Rome do as the Romans do. I try and stay aware of it, influence is there though.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM

999 posts, read 4,531,928 times
Did you guys see how they treated Borat in NYC when he tried to say hello???

Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Default borat, lol no

what they do to him?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 AM

999 posts, read 4,531,928 times
I don't want to ruin it for you....You'll have to rent the movie and see...

Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 AM

Default I might have to rent the movie, sounds funny

Thanks for the movie tip

Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Did you guys see how they treated Borat in NYC when he tried to say hello???
Just because their not stupid doesn't mean their not friendly.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,924 times
Moved from Russia to Phoenix, AZ and lived there for 11 years.

First 5 it was fun, maybe because I was learning a new culutre, country, city. After 6-7th year the weather started to get to me a lot. It was hard to do anything after work between May and October, comfortably I mean.

I grew up with outdoors, 4 seasons, fresh food, but I cant say that Arizona was not a great experience. It was very educative, and fun at some parts. Definately what most of you covered is right on target here.

Im happy to say I moved out 3 months ago to a beautiful Los Gatos, CA which is in the Bay Area. I have a nice job, live with a fiance, and we both make a very good ammount of money together for our mid 20s. So i havent noticed the "Its So EXPENSIVE IN CA" just yet. But I will be ready for it. Reason is, Im not looking for a house.

After work in mid July, which is now we are able to go walking, joging, and sometimes at later evenings put on a light jacket. Not to forget I ride a bike to work every morning for 6 miles both ways with a temperature in the low 70s.

Oh and on the weekends Santa Cruz, Monterey, Napa, San Francisco, Yosemites, I cant complain. My camera is in love with this area.

Farmers market every Sunday, Whole Foods, 4000 restaurants of your choice in my area.

Honestly, I wasnt living in Phoenix, I was surviving summers in Phoenix.

But I cant forget the thunderstorms, the rain, and the smell after the rain in the desert.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:03 AM

Default well now Comrade im depressed!

lol gee thanks! some of us are still surviveing the summers!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgett View Post
I am from MI and retired to Phoenix and after a year moved back to MI. Now I will admit that the main reason for leaving was a family illness BUT I don't know how long we would have stayed anyways.
We are in our mid 50's, retired and bought a home in a family neighborhood (Ahwatukee). We didn't want an Active Adult Community because we felt they were too confining. The neighborhood we moved to was nice but we quickly found that everyone hibernates in the summer. Of course that's what we do in the midwest but even when people did come out at night (in PHX) they just smiled and maybe waved. We also found that the people our age were retired military and were very conservative. We almost had to whisper that we were liberal thinking individuals.
Then there was the issue of immigration, immigration, immigration. That's all you hear about. The hatred for Hispanic's was unbelievable.
Next was the cost of living. Yes the property taxes are low but the price of a nice sized home is quite high. Four years ago you could get a great deal but prices have gone up.
Education is horrible. I am a retired teacher and looked into their system and told my grown daughter who lives in PHX to put her kids in private school. The teachers are grossly underpaid and the curriculums are inadequate.
There is no feeling of community and we felt very alone. We got so tired of the endless heat of the summer and even when you went out to restaurants (during the summer) they were very quiet and empty. The winters were not as warm as we thought they would be and even though you have endless blue skies, sun, and mountains to look at you do miss seasonal changes.
Yes there are jobs there but the pay does not equal the cost of living.
Thank you for your informative post. I am looking to relocate to the Scottsdale area from Los Angeles, but I am finding that the prices of homes are not that affordable. Since I cannot afford to buy in LA and no longer want to live here anyway, I thought I would move to the Scottsdale area to be closer to my Mother. But all the real estate listings I see are not encouraging. I can't afford what I want out there either! I just don't know how to tell my Mother or what to even decide at this point. Your post was very informative and if there is anything else you can tell me please do. I am single also so it would be nice to be able to meet new people, make friendships and find a special man, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona