Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 PM

132 posts, read 250,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I have spent a lot of time in Arizona since I was a kid. I love it as much as I love my home state of California but things like this are unbelievably disgusting!
The legislators are trying to help prevent AZ from being destroyed the way CA has been.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,492,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What's happening to Arizona?

The Japanese sank it at Pearl Harbor, it was taken away from the Mexicans and eventually became a state. It is a living example of truth in advertising, it is indeed an "Arid Zone".
The Hispanics took Arizona and New Mexico, Mexico, California etc etc from the Indians. And newer Indian people took land from other Indians. Im part Aztec and they WERE the big dogs in old time Mexico. But they were cruel to other Indians BEFORE the Spanish came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Actually, Mexicans didn't exist as a race until AFTER the arrival of the Europeans. Mexicans are a mix of Spanish and native blood, making the Mexican race a hybrid one.

In any case, we have solid and legitimate reasons for our immigration policies, many of which pertain to concerns for the health of Americans and the containment of communicable diseases. My husband is a legal immigrant. Been there, done that, jumped through all the immigration hoops and paid the required fees.
Some Mexicans are all Indian and some are all white. Not all of us Mexicans and Chicanos are mixed. I am but mostly Spanish.

Quote:
If they want to go after people who are smuggling weapons and drugs into this country fine (but lets not forget there also drugs and weapons coming in from Canada too). As for the INNOCENT people who come here in search of a better life for themselves and their families, I say let them stay. There are countless Americans who take advantage of the system while immigrants from Central America and Mexico work their butts off! If the government doesn't want them coming here illegally then they should make it easier and less expensive for them to obtain U.S citizenship. And why deport children? What did they do wrong?
Dude: illegals aint innocent. They are bad people. If illegals were good: the Mexican Federales wouldnt treat the Guatemalans like dirt.

Last edited by observer53; 01-31-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The problem with your analogy is that these "intruders" were invited here. They are here because of the jobs. Americans WANT them here. Maybe not you, but the wealthy and powerful who benefit from their presence do or they would be gone. Simple as that. Someone up-thread asked why not enforce the employment laws. We don't want to. As long as we kick out a few for political appearances while the way is open for more to replace them (who will work for even less), the charade continues.
BINGO!
Give the man a cigar.
THAT'S the REAL reason nothing is done about illegal immigration. The business community doesn't WANT anything done because the illegal immigrants provide a source of cheap labor. The GOP rank and file (regular folks) always point the finger of blame at the "bleeding heart" Liberals, but the fact is the business leaders (who are largely Republican) are AT LEAST as responsible for the influx of such immigrants as the Liberals are.

Ken

Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Quote:
Many of those nations did not have to deal with slavery and exploitation of foreign labor (except in their colonies, of course) so the issues are more clear.
OK, out of curiosity, let me ask: which European nations were not involved in the trafficking of slaves? Whose hands are clean?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
OK, out of curiosity, let me ask: which European nations were not involved in the trafficking of slaves? Whose hands are clean?
That is why I phrased it as I did. And it is not a matter of clean hands, it is a matter of introducing these issues (what to do about freed slaves, children of exploited workers) into the equation. We have allowed some 12 million people to come into our country for the cheap labor they provide. Now we have to deal with their children.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Quote:
That is why I phrased it as I did. And it is not a matter of clean hands, it is a matter of introducing these issues (what to do about freed slaves, children of exploited workers) into the equation. We have allowed some 12 million people to come into our country for the cheap labor they provide. Now we have to deal with their children.
Pretty much every European (and other) culture has exploited (often quite horribly) foreign workers, many of whom entered illegally - the Algerians in France, Romanians in Italy, Angolans in Portugal, Indians and Pakistanis in the U.K., and so forth. Saudi Arabia exploits Filipino workers, the Japanese do the same, yet (I presume) most of these don't offer birthright citizenship to those whose parents were in the country illegally. Are you holding us to a higher standard out of a sense of American exceptionalism, because we are better than other countries? Or if it's due to our historical involvement in the alleged exploitation of workers, has the extension of free education, medical care, and social services to the children of those who have come here to enjoy a better, more free life than in their their home countries in any way repaid this debt? Or can the moral burden we incurred in giving their parents employment in a better country than their own only be repaid by granting them (and their parents) citizenship?

I would favor amending the Dream Act to remove the provision of citizenship for those attending college (why should I subsidize a college education for someone else when I can barely afford my own kids' education?), but I think you can and should be able to get a fast track to citizenship by serving in the armed forces of the U.S. If you want to be a U.S. citizen so much that you will bear arms and risk your life and limbs in the country's behalf, then you are the kind of person we want as a citizen, and your spouse and kids should get citizenship, and legal residency for your parents when you complete your term of enlistment honorably, or re-enlist. Your lawful spouse, children, and parents should get a legal residency visa when you begin your term of service.

The 2 big problems with illegal immigration for me is the inability to keep undesireables - violent criminals, sex offenders, terrorists - accountable and out of the country, and the competition for jobs with legal U.S. residents.

On the other hand, U.S. citizens are no longer reproducing enough to renew our population. Americans took all that "Population Bomb" nonsense they read back in the 1960s and put off having kids (often until it was too late). As a result, we don't have enough young people paying into social security to support the demographic bulge of the baby boomers. We need more immigrants if we want to keep social security solvent, and also because I think a regular infusion of the sort of cultural values that the best kind of new Americans bring - entrepeneurship, optimism, family values, a desire to share our culture and values - is generally a good thing. I'd support making the immigration process work faster and more efficiently (not likely to happen with the cutbacks in federal employees that has been proposed by congress), effectively targeting occupations where we do not have enough workers, and opening up the immigration rolls to a wider variety of nationalities.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 01-30-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM

220 posts, read 412,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I would favor amending the Dream Act to remove the provision of citizenship for those attending college (why should I subsidize a college education for someone else when I can barely afford my own kids' education?), but I think you can and should be able to get a fast track to citizenship by serving in the armed forces of the U.S. If you want to be a U.S. citizen so much that you will bear arms and risk your life and limbs in the country's behalf, then you are the kind of person we want as a citizen, and your spouse and kids should get citizenship, and legal residency for your parents when you complete your term of enlistment honorably, or re-enlist. Your lawful spouse, children, and parents should get a legal residency visa when you begin your term of service.

The 2 big problems with illegal immigration for me is the inability to keep undesireables - violent criminals, sex offenders, terrorists - accountable and out of the country, and the competition for jobs with legal U.S. residents.
What about the young people that have already graduated from college? Many of those you saw on TV asking for the Dream Act were college graduates that cannot work because of their status.

We've already paid for their education...

The "2 big problems" you mentioned can be fixed by securing the border, and the prosecution of businesses that hire illegals.

Passing laws that obviously violate the Constitution are nothing more than campaign tools for politicians to get reelected.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
Default hasta la vista

Im with you Kdog people have to realize its not the 1800s anymore the US cant take in every person in the world beacuse their country sucks. Im tired of my kids getting a crappy education beacuse the teachers are busy teaching english to a bunch of kids that dont belong here

Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM

467 posts, read 1,191,009 times
Quote:
If they want to go after people who are smuggling weapons and drugs into this country fine (but lets not forget there also drugs and weapons coming in from Canada too). As for the INNOCENT people who come here in search of a better life for themselves and their families, I say let them stay. There are countless Americans who take advantage of the system while immigrants from Central America and Mexico work their butts off! If the government doesn't want them coming here illegally then they should make it easier and less expensive for them to obtain U.S citizenship. And why deport children? What did they do wrong?
Hummm, ok, BacktoBlue, please do me a small favor, check out this little video and then comment...thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

412 posts, read 680,454 times
Very insightful video Head Coach. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona