Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:19 PM

6 posts, read 24,216 times

Advertisements

We just came back from the Harlem Globetrotters basketball camp that took place at Agua Fria High School. Not only was I completely impressed with this camp, the area was nice as well. I personally didn't see any gangs, graffiti or crime afoot. There is major major growth going on there. This was my first visit which in turn prompted my initial inquiry about the demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Ok, I'm sorry about saying that. In the future, I'll specify the specific area of each municipality I'm talking about, rather than generalizing about the "west valley." I've been to the beautiful area by Thunderbird Park by 59th ave and Pinnacle Peak Rd, and there is just no way that can be lumped together with El Mirage. Sawww-reee!
aww, aren't you sweet. I live right down the street from Thunderbird Park, and yes it's nice. I just wish they weren't widening the road through the mtns. I have loved the small road going through there, it's quaint. Thanks for seeing what I see.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
VERY off subject question for Sablebaby: I heard the city was making improvements to Thunderbird Park? Are they? Have they? Is it neat?

Secondly, and I HATE to stereotype and generalize like this, but, the wealthier Jewish families (doctors and such) have, as it appears, formed a little clique type thing in central Phoenix. Around Central Avenue.. and Oh, Bethany Home, I guess. Every Jewish person I know lives within about a mile of that intersection.

Was that politically correct? Do I get a COOKIE? =D

I've asked a few of them why they moved to the central corridor.. and the response I got was.. "So our kids can be around other jewish children." So.. Thats probably your best bet. But, then again, most people that live in that area send their kids to catholic high schools.. so, I dunno how serious they are about it.

There isn't an actual Jewish COMMUNITY in the south west valley. Just people living here and there.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,453,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Secondly, and I HATE to stereotype and generalize like this, but, the wealthier Jewish families (doctors and such) have, as it appears, formed a little clique type thing in central Phoenix. Around Central Avenue.. and Oh, Bethany Home, I guess. Every Jewish person I know lives within about a mile of that intersection.

Was that politically correct? Do I get a COOKIE? =D

I've asked a few of them why they moved to the central corridor.. and the response I got was.. "So our kids can be around other jewish children." So.. Thats probably your best bet. But, then again, most people that live in that area send their kids to catholic high schools.. so, I dunno how serious they are about it.

The Jewish community in North Central Phoenix is about more than just clustering with people of the same faith. It's the neighborhood where you'll find the most orthodox synagogues, kosher restaurants, and other institutions that cater to conservative and orthodox Jews. On Saturdays, I see some of my neighbors walking to their synagogue. Many of them live in the area because their faith teaches them they cannot start a fire (i.e. a car engine) on the Sabbath, so they need to be within walking distance of the synagogue. There's even an eruv, a sort of virtual wall that allow a little more leniency during the Sabbath, around North Central Phoenix. For all those reasons, NCP remains the traditional center of Jewish life in Phoenix. It's not really about a clique; instead, it's about community, history, and faith for many of my neighbors.

Article about the Phoenix Eruv

As for the Catholic high schools, I'm neither Jewish nor Catholic, but I'd strongly consider those schools for my children's high school education simply because of educational quality. I suspect it's the same for many of the people you've spoken to.

Last edited by exit2lef; 07-23-2007 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM

50 posts, read 246,579 times
Esterbrook - much of Scottsdale is heavily Jewish; contact the Jewish Center or Jewish Family Services, both in Scottsdale - they could help you out - - you have synagogues all over the East Valley - reform, Orthodox, etc...there are also a Hassidic Center just south of Shea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona