Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 13,139 times

Advertisements

Really need some advice, I've read lots of posts on here and found some great opinions. We are planning on moving to AZ in the fall. I have to children, one will be in the 11th grade and another in 9th. I'm looking for a good high school. With good academics and not cliquey.

We don't plan on living in Florence, but somewhere around that has no longer than a 45min commute. So any towns around that distance, that have low crime and good schools??? Also relatively cheap living....just middle class is good. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Something in south Chandler or the southern part of Gilbert, perhaps, would work. I don't know about the high school in Queen Creek, but others will chime in on that, I'm sure. What is your price range, and are you renting or buying?

I suspect there are some "cliques" in every high school.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM

We are looking to rent a house first...trying to stay in the $700-$800 a month range. My main concern is my kids being accepted and not shunned. Plus I want a good education for them obviously. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM

The high schools in Gilbert and Chandler are so large that they are bound to find friends, and will not be "shunned". I'm not familiar with rental prices, but others can help you with that.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,387 times
You may consider Casa Grande as your place to live. Its the most developed in Pinal County...is about 40 mins from Florence and its sort of a pretty drive.... Here you will have access to charter schools should you desire to avoid public schools. But the biggest reason is you will have much more success finding a nice house to rent for 700-800 here in CG than up in Gilbert/Chandler.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
You may consider Casa Grande as your place to live. Its the most developed in Pinal County...is about 40 mins from Florence and its sort of a pretty drive.... Here you will have access to charter schools should you desire to avoid public schools. But the biggest reason is you will have much more success finding a nice house to rent for 700-800 here in CG than up in Gilbert/Chandler.
Not a bad idea... in fact, you could get a little closer, and rent in Maricopa. I have relatives who live there and drive their kids to Chandler for school.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not a bad idea... in fact, you could get a little closer, and rent in Maricopa. I have relatives who live there and drive their kids to Chandler for school.
Well, I haven't read too much good about Maricopa...as in crime and other reports...nor Casa Grande. I'm not sure what to do at this point. We are coming there in March to look at the different towns and get a better idea...but I'm hoping to have a direction to go in before we get there.

I really appreciate this forum. I have gained alot of knowledge from this website and I'm so glad I stumbled across it and all you people from AZ seem to be more than willing to dish out advice and opinions! Thanks so much!!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM

There have been some issues of property crime regarding the foreclosed and vacant houses in Maricopa. I don't know whether that has gotten better or worse in the last year or so. Beyond that, I have nor heard about significant crime issues.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,387 times
And Casa Grande is plenty safe. Especially in the newer developments. Its just the older core part of town that have any problems at all...and even those pale in comparison to bigger cities.

Trust me, for what your budget will get you in the "closer in" cities, you will be in a much nicer and safer area in CG. 800 bucks in Chandler isnt going to get you much and will likely be in an older area.

Yes, Maricopa would be ok for the closeness to the Chandler schools etc...but its a big haul out to Florence if someone is going to be commuting into Florence every day. CG is much closer. Much.

Queen Creek/Santan Valley is another option, the drive into Florence wouldnt be tooo bad...but Hunt Hwy is the only way in and out right now and its still two lane for a good portion. Plus though someday QC will be very developed, right now there is not quite the same infrastructure that is available in CG..

Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Queen Creek/Santan Valley is another option, the drive into Florence wouldnt be tooo bad...but Hunt Hwy is the only way in and out right now and its still two lane for a good portion. Plus though someday QC will be very developed, right now there is not quite the same infrastructure that is available in CG..

What is the speed limit on Hunt Hwy? We were looking at San Tan Valley and Queen Creek before, but my kids weren't too impressed with the schools website. How's the schools there? Any input on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona