Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

That's right. She vetoed both of these bills. She is who I thought she might be. Good for her (and Arizona).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
Some of these bills are seemingly written up just for politics and not necessity.

I don't think Arizonans are ready yet to have guns on campus, but I'd like to see that some day when we mature. The birther bill is also needless.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Brewer said in her veto letter that she was troubled that the bill empowered Arizona's secretary of state to judge the qualifications of all candidates when they file to run for office.
"I do not support designating one person as the gatekeeper to the ballot for a candidate, which could lead to arbitrary or politically motivated decisions," said Brewer, who was secretary of state until she became governor in 2009.
"In addition, I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for president of the greatest and most powerful nation on Earth to submit their 'early baptismal circumcision certificates' among other records to the Arizona secretary of state," she said. "This is a bridge too far."
The certificates are among the documents a candidate could submit in place of a birth certificate

My Way News - Arizona gov. vetoes presidential 'birther' bill

I'll tell ya, that circumcision thing makes my top 10 list for the wackiest things ever thought of by a politician.

Gives a whole new meaning to having no skin in the game.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
THANK GOD!!!!
There is hope yet for good ole' AZ!!!
Go Jan! Didn't think you had it in ya, glad to see it!

Congrats to all of AZ

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Congratulations on having a governor not quite as foolish as the legislature.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to having no skin in the game.
OUCH!

Ken

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's right. She vetoed both of these bills. She is who I thought she might be. Good for her (and Arizona).
My friend (yes I am going to call you that despite our recent squabbles) It shows that our state has hope and that if anything we are a mixed bag with regard to our politics. The same governor who supported 1070 had enough sense to reject these crazy bills. Good for her and good for the state! I'm very surprised she vetoed these bills. I believe that people deserve the right to carry concealed weapons but there should be a line. Allowing guns on campuses and other public buildings poses a greater threat to the sanctity of these domains moreso than it does empower one's right to defend his or herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingspirit View Post
I hope the people of AZ recall here or vote her out soon as possible....nothing but a tool in the Obama agenda....figures....lord forbid we made sure the people we allowed to become president are citizens how horrible and how horrible to allow people to protect themselves on campus.
I don't mean to cause debate but calling Jan Brewer "a tool in the Obama agenda" is like calling Russel Pearce "a tool in the Pelosi agenda." Brewer has developed a reputation for being a right wing conservative with her signing 1070, reducing enrollment in the state's Medicaid program and reducing education spending. Her latest move to veto both of these bills came as a surprise and many assumed she had endorsed it.

The governor has received a lot of criticism in the past from the left and rightfully so. However, I hope these same people are fair and praise her for these recent decisions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
THANK GOD!!!!
There is hope yet for good ole' AZ!!!
Go Jan! Didn't think you had it in ya, glad to see it!

Congrats to all of AZ
Indeed, there is hope for this state!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Congratulations on having a governor not quite as foolish as the legislature.
Sums it up nicely. For me, it's damning with faint praise, but praise nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingspirit View Post
I hope the people of AZ recall here or vote her out soon as possible....nothing but a tool in the Obama agenda....figures....lord forbid we made sure the people we allowed to become president are citizens how horrible and how horrible to allow people to protect themselves on campus.
Excuse me? Jan Brewer a "tool in the Obama agenda"? I see that you don't live here, but you don't understand the players involved at all. Arizona had no business making its own rules for PRESIDENTIAL candidates, and the "guns on rights of way on campus" bill was way too poorly written, just for a start. (and, it would not have allowed "people to protect themselves on campus" anyway. The bill was not written to allow guns all over campuses.)

And, just so you know, she is term limited, and won't be running again. Not a chance of her being recalled. Certainly not over these actions.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I’m glad that she vetoed the bills however it continues to worry me about the elected legislative representatives who wrote the bills and then the entire body of representatives voted for them. That’s scary for the state to think that they are there and representing the people. When will they return with more of this nonsense? Shame on them and shame on those who put them in office. I think I’ll get circumcised in an effort to prove my citizenship should I not be able to provide the long form that they want to see someday; If you have to be a citizen to vote and they may want you to prove it in the future before you drop that ballot in the box. Ridicules that they even “thought” that should be written into a bill to prove citizenship for running in an election.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Default Brewer Vetoes Birther Bill & Guns on Campus Bill

Brewer vetoes presidential 'birther' bill

maybe she does have some chops after all .... i don't believe she can be elected again, so in a sense she could have little to lose in shaping the agenda and maybe not be as beholden to the party as it initially appeared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona