Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,195 times

Advertisements

Dear Anyone: Am moving my son out to Prescott Az from Ca. I have been searching for any route that does not include mountain driving since I have a fear of mountain roads. Did find one post that said to go on Kirkland Rd - Skull Valley to Von Springs Rd. (are these bypassing the mountain rds?) any guidance would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
I would say jump on I-40 over to Ashfork and south into Prescott. No problems no narrow mountain roads. Now if ya take I-10 over to Wickenburg and up through jerome and Kirkland up to Prescott, That is hilly twisty roads.
I-8 or I-10 over to I-17 and North would be good just longer and up the hill to sunset point is not a bad hill climb. Then left into Prescott.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Since Prescott and surrounding areas are in the mountains, how are you going to avoid living there?

BTW rambush's directions are good ones

Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 AM

I beleive the key word is; her son is moving there. She/ he is only getting him there.
Plus Prescott is fairly flat around town just crazy traffic to contend with.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
I would say jump on I-40 over to Ashfork and south into Prescott. No problems no narrow mountain roads. Now if ya take I-10 over to Wickenburg and up through jerome and Kirkland up to Prescott, That is hilly twisty roads.
I-8 or I-10 over to I-17 and North would be good just longer and up the hill to sunset point is not a bad hill climb. Then left into Prescott.
Have to agree with this.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Actually Jerome is on the other side of Prescott, between Prescott and Sedona on 89A.

One way, without a lot of twisty, turny roads, is to do the I-10 to Hwy 89 out of Wickenburg. Follow that north til you get to Kirkland Junction. At Kirkland Junction, though, get off Hwy 89 and go through Skull Valley. You'll come into Prescott on Iron Springs Rd. That is a much less windy road and is actually much faster (even though it's slightly longer).

Or I-10 to the 101 to I-17, north to Cordes Junction, then Hwy 69 into Prescott.

Or if it's not too far out of your way, I-40 to Ash Fork and South on Hwy 89 would have the least amount of twists and turns.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Or I-10 to the 101 to I-17, north to Cordes Junction, then Hwy 69 into Prescott.

Or if it's not too far out of your way, I-40 to Ash Fork and South on Hwy 89 would have the least amount of twists and turns.
Take either of these two suggestions by Gretchen. The I-40 route has virtually no mountains at all - although getting to I-40 from inside CA may be anoter story. The I-17 route takes you up a mountain grade, but you are on a major interstate, so it is not very scary.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Had Jerome on my mind, meant Yarnel.

You repeated my other directions just fine though.

Quote:
Actually Jerome is on the other side of Prescott, between Prescott and Sedona on 89A.

One way, without a lot of twisty, turny roads, is to do the I-10 to Hwy 89 out of Wickenburg. Follow that north til you get to Kirkland Junction. At Kirkland Junction, though, get off Hwy 89 and go through Skull Valley. You'll come into Prescott on Iron Springs Rd. That is a much less windy road and is actually much faster (even though it's slightly longer).

Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Some folks don't realize you can get off Hwy 89 at Kirkland instead of continuing on into Prescott. 89 has lots of hairpin turns in that section between Kirkland and Prescott. The other road through Skull Valley brings you in on the west side (vs south side) of Prescott.

Sorry, Rambrush, I was just clarifying. Didn't realize I was being redundant, redundant.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Some folks don't realize you can get off Hwy 89 at Kirkland instead of continuing on into Prescott. 89 has lots of hairpin turns in that section between Kirkland and Prescott. The other road through Skull Valley brings you in on the west side (vs south side) of Prescott.

Sorry, Rambrush, I was just clarifying. Didn't realize I was being redundant, redundant.
Hey no problem, used to be a great place to eat in Kirkland. I have had the pleasure of bicycling most every paved road in Az. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona