Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM

27 posts, read 86,807 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move from Iowa - somewhere warmer. I've been doing research for over a year and we can't seem to make a decision. So, I'm just trying to gain as much info as I can.

Could you help me?
Here's what's important to us:
We want to be within 30 minutes to an hour of a large city (further if we really like the area).
It needs to be safe and family oriented (we have a young child).
It needs to be affordable - coming from the midwest - we can't spend more than 150k-250k on housing.

I've been thinking about somewhere east of Phoenix or northeast of Phoenix - but, can't seem to find out too much info. Like east of Apache Junction - and on north to Camp Creek?

I have no idea what's out there - been to Phoenix/Scottsdale/Sedona a lot - but not the other areas.

I'd like it to be HOT - but, maybe not quite as hot as in the valley - and definitely not as cold as Flagstaff area.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...
THANKS ALL!

Also - what about Payson??

Last edited by warmweatherplz; 08-05-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM

343 posts, read 555,041 times
Hmmm, lot's of options that fit your criteria. It's hard to guide you in the right direction without being biased, but the area of Apache Junction can fit your price range. It's hot there and northeast of Phoenix you would have to get closer to the mountains for moderate weather, but cost of living goes up. You can still pick up housing around $200k in Payson, but it doesn't give you much more than 12oo sq ft, and that's an hour away. If you want to be within 30 minutes of a large city, it's going to be hot, but you can find housing in your price range on the fringes of the metro areas of Tucson and Phoenix. Like I said, there are many options that will fit for you!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Hmmm, lot's of options that fit your criteria. It's hard to guide you in the right direction without being biased, but the area of Apache Junction can fit your price range. It's hot there and northeast of Phoenix you would have to get closer to the mountains for moderate weather, but cost of living goes up. You can still pick up housing around $200k in Payson, but it doesn't give you much more than 12oo sq ft, and that's an hour away. If you want to be within 30 minutes of a large city, it's going to be hot, but you can find housing in your price range on the fringes of the metro areas of Tucson and Phoenix. Like I said, there are many options that will fit for you!
If I were going to go up in housing prices- and be a little further away from the city - where would you suggest?
I would like it a little cooler then the valley!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:46 PM

106 posts, read 643,918 times
Have you thought about Sierra Vista,it's only 1 hr from Tucson and housing is alot cheaper.
goodluck.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM

283 posts, read 992,679 times
Texas...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 PM

45 posts, read 150,420 times
I would suggest Anthem, but I am not sure what houses go for up there. You can rent a 3 or 4 bedroom for under 1200 up there if you want to consider renting.

Anthem is about 15-20 minutes north of phoens, it has everything you need right in the little town, 2 grocery stores, blockbuster, walmart, and a movie there is coming soon.. And you are only about 15 minutes from town, so its heaven.

There is almost no crime there, I have never seen a report of anything going on, besides a few kids getting caught with weed a few years back, but that happens everywhere you go.

There is not a hard drug problem up there, which is very good, I know alot of people that lived up there, as I went to high shool with alot of them before the Anthem High School was built, and as far as I know, the kids are pretty good up there.

I think you shouldnt have much of a problem finding a nice house for 200k, there is currently alot of houses for sale up there, plus they are building condos and alot of other stuff.

If you can afford it, I would definetly move there!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Prescott, Payson, Globe, and Camp Verde are all cooler places. Globe and Camp Verde are less expensive, but less to offer. Prescott is likely out of your price range. Like another poster said, you could try Sierra Vista, but an hour from Tucson, yet it's nice! Also, Oracle is just north of Tucson and has some good housing and almost 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Texas...
What's really interesting is that is the other state we are considering. It's down to Arizona and Texas. It's me that loves the desert. I can take the humidity - but, would rather not have to. Also, I don't mind 115 degrees IF it cools down a bit at night. I just want to be outside as much as possible.
And in Texas - it seems like it doesn't cool down for three months out of the year.
Why did you say to go to Texas - as opposed to Arizona?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 AM

283 posts, read 992,679 times
It had all the qualities you specified, the housing is cheap and the weather less monotonous..

Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM

DaveV ????????, I can only speak from where I live of course becausemonotonous far from it. The desert maybe, but AZ definitely has many more climate zones to choose from within a drive. You can golf, water ski, snow ski, sky dive, swim, drive to the ocean(Cali), gamble(Vegas), mountain bike, hike, rock climb, sight see, hunting, fishing, four wheeling(ATV), etc.... you get the picture. There are many more recreational opportunities available. Location, location, location, which is why property values will remain higher. This is another reason why the economy is stronger here and will continue to be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona