Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM

283 posts, read 990,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
DaveV ????????, I can only speak from where I live of course becausemonotonous far from it. The desert maybe, but AZ definitely has many more climate zones to choose from within a drive. You can golf, water ski, snow ski, sky dive, swim, drive to the ocean(Cali), gamble(Vegas), mountain bike, hike, rock climb, sight see, hunting, fishing, four wheeling(ATV), etc.... you get the picture. There are many more recreational opportunities available. Location, location, location, which is why property values will remain higher. This is another reason why the economy is stronger here and will continue to be so.
You are telling me that the weather in AZ metros is NOT monotonous? Please. What does Vegas, Cali, Oceans or 4-wheeling have to do with that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM

343 posts, read 552,817 times
This is an Arizona post, outside of just the metro areas. That's what I stated if you read the lines. An argument is not what I'm getting into. It's the fact that there is diversity here instead of monotony! Its my spin just like other people have their spin. Respectully yours.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 AM

283 posts, read 990,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
This is an Arizona post, outside of just the metro areas. That's what I stated if you read the lines. An argument is not what I'm getting into. It's the fact that there is diversity here instead of monotony! Its my spin just like other people have their spin. Respectully yours.
I posted about the weather, not the "climate", and the weather is monotonous anywhere is the state compared to other parts of the country -And I "read the lines" --last time I checked, Cali, Vegas and the ocean are NOT in Arizona - so if this is an "Arizona post", you just contradicted yourself because you mention places outside the state.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 PM

27 posts, read 86,694 times
Default Back to the Question?

Okay - I'm getting a better feel for what you are saying.

I guess I'd like the more monotonous weather - being from Iowa where it change 50 degrees in one day ( yes it has!)

I love the outdoors - so all those activities sound great!

It is definitely more expensive though than Texas - but with less humidity.

I like Arizona - my husband likes Texas. Well, does anyone else have any comments?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweatherplz View Post
Okay - I'm getting a better feel for what you are saying.

I guess I'd like the more monotonous weather - being from Iowa where it change 50 degrees in one day ( yes it has!)

I love the outdoors - so all those activities sound great!

It is definitely more expensive though than Texas - but with less humidity.

I like Arizona - my husband likes Texas. Well, does anyone else have any comments?
Just remember that the prop taxes are much higher in TX than AZ. It basically makes up for the price.

Don't forget that in phx we do not "cool down" at night in the summer!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

85 posts, read 208,277 times
Texas is by far the superior marketplace to relocate...right now..

Phoenix is unfortunately caught in a cycle of housing bubble hostage. It skyrocketed during the years of 2002-2006 probably more so than any other metro area. It is definitely a place to steer clear from until this bubble dust settles.

Texas cities cities rarely experience real estate booms or busts. They go up the 2-3% per year in boom times and bust times. No one in Texas really made tons of cash in 2002-2006 an no one really expects to lose tons of cash in the retreat.

Phoenix doesn't have the diverse economy to cope with the housing retreat. Almost 2/3 of its working population was connected to the housing industry in some way in 2005. Florida is probably the only state worse off now than Arizona. It is because they are in fact retirement areas not income/job areas. Building relocation homes was the "de facto" industry of the Valley of the Sun. Both, are rapidly trying to diversify their economies...but it will take time..

Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
One thing that people forget is that our 115F ain't the same as 95F back east in the summer---------the Phoenix temperature is cooler due to the much lower humidity.

Being from the Wash DC area; I can attest to both........DC damned near killed me in the summer-------and, that was 30 years ago when I was a teenager.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
I posted about the weather, not the "climate", and the weather is monotonous anywhere is the state compared to other parts of the country -And I "read the lines" --last time I checked, Cali, Vegas and the ocean are NOT in Arizona - so if this is an "Arizona post", you just contradicted yourself because you mention places outside the state.
Monotonous as in no 'back east' style winters (outside of our higher elevations)?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,920,274 times
Default Phoenix weather swings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweatherplz View Post
Phoenix has 50 degree weather swings... when it is 120 degrees outside and you go into an air conditioned store that is set at 70 degrees!

Personally, I prefer the more mild climate in the Prescott area. At 5,000 feet, we average 90 degrees in the summer and 50 degrees in the winter. We get nice rains in the summer and a dusting of snow every now and then in the winter.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 AM

85 posts, read 208,277 times
Ponderosa..

You would have to be blind in the valley of the sun to not discount the affect that the housing industry had on the area economy. I am not blaming the lifelong locals. Californians were selling homes in drove to buy cheaper housing in Phoenix area. Retirees from Chicago were selling homes in droves to retire in cheaper warmer Phoenix area. The relocation craze in the last 5 years got to extraordinary levels. I don't blame people for quitting their jobs to become agents or mortgage people. It was too easy to make money in the real estate connected sector. The economy shifted into a "company town" effect.

You would have to have been blind to not see the thousands of builder signs in 2004-2005 on every street. Farflung edge towns like Suprise and Queen Creek were building houses at insanity levels. Too many laborers, craftsmen, and professionals all wanted a piece of that pie. Jobs shifted unhealthily into a real estate dependent econmy.

My opinion is that the dust needs to settle. The economy needs to branch away from its housing/retirement housing dependecy.

The original poster wanted to relocate somewhere warm with a modest budget and family friendly.

I fully believe that Texas with its cheaper housing and higher paying jobs in a diverse sector was a more realistic choice. A diversifed economic outlook for Dallas/Houston/Austin makes the risk of uprooting a family less riskier.

I never commented on whether Phoenix is a good place. I just would steer cleer of buying into it until this whole housing crisis subsides.

If the housing market collapses any further, related unemployment could cripple the Valley of the Sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona