Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM

211 posts, read 641,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
I think in the next 5 years Phoenix will be the next California....
This is the biggest problem as I see it. Sadly, Phoenix is destined to follow in LA's footsteps. (Minus the whole earthquake thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 03:28 PM

228 posts, read 818,310 times
No one has mentioned Sun City or the other retirement communities surrounding Phoenix. They obviously have age restrictions but seem to be very nice communities for those able to live there. What impression do you locals have of them?

Old 09-22-2006, 04:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
No one has mentioned Sun City or the other retirement communities surrounding Phoenix. They obviously have age restrictions but seem to be very nice communities for those able to live there. What impression do you locals have of them?
Check out Sun Lakes or Province for 55 and older.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
Lots of people joke about them - shuffleboard image etc. But for retirement living they are quite nice - especially Sun City area in Northwest and Sun Lakes in SE. Everything is close by that one needs - medical, shopping, dining and entertainment. And they are re-tooling to change their image and appeal to the boomer generation. My mother-in-law lives in Sun City and it is great for her. The neighbors are friendly and look out for each other like in a mid-west town. The homeowners assoc maintains the lots and the roofs even. Until recently, prices there were down right cheap and they still are relative to the rest of the Phx metro area. Housing developments have surrounded them, though, and it is not quite as safe and certainly not as secluded as it used to be. Still, I think that Sun City or Sun Lakes would be decent places to retire to if you like the urban lifestyle.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 PM

211 posts, read 641,096 times
My mom is out in Sun City, around 103rd Ave and Peoria. It's quiet at night, cooler in the summer (a wee bit), and it's not uncommon to see wild rabbits running about through yards and such. You also spot the odd coyote or hawk out there as well. The houses are smaller and less pretentious, and the neighbors do tend to interract well.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:41 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
An interesting note on Sun City is the fences (or lack thereof). In Phoenix area, ALL homes have a block wall around the rear of the lot - wood on the older ones. Except in the older parts of Sun City. They have that open look that is common in the midwest. I don't particulary care for it, but I think it does make for better contact among the residents.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:08 PM

228 posts, read 818,310 times
Interesting comments about Sun City, especially the original developement. I since found that they have great recreational facilities for those that choose a more active retirement. It amazing the number of golf courses, swimming pools, etc. that are available to the residents.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 7,651 times
When I lived here as a child over twenty five years ago the weather was not that bad. I remember wearing a coat and gloves to go to school in the morning. But the effects of global warming can clearly be seen in this area. I unfortunately ended up back here because my residence in New Orleans was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina. I can't wait to leave. I have to consciously keep my complaining in check every day because it is so hot every day and there is never a reprieve. There is no "weather" as such because it is extremely hot and sunny every day. There are no poetic cloudy days, it rarely rains, and it is always hot regardless of the season. There is never a break. I have so many beautiful clothes and I don't know when I'll be able to wear any of them because most of the time it is too hot to wear anything with sleeves. Every day I'm waiting for autumn to come and for the weather to cool down but it is still in the high 90's in mid October. You really do have to consider the weather because if you do not like extreme heat you will be miserable. Also, there is no diversity of industry since it is not an international city. It is very provincial here and there is no cultural diversity. It is like one big boring suburb. The salaries are low. You really have to be an entrepreneur to make it here or make a living in one of the few male-dominated industries here. It is not a good place for a woman for sure. Arizona is still living in the fifties.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

94 posts, read 349,518 times
What hospital will you be working at?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM

54 posts, read 224,796 times
Holy thread resurrection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona