Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

The one thing we keep thinking about since last nights storm and others we've been in now is all the food stores and the fresh meat,seafood,cheese,bread,deserts etc. The front doors open and close constantly during those Haboobs and one food city that we were in where it was just as bad inside as it was outside, kind of like the airport last night.

Don't know how thrilled I'd be to have all that blowing whatever in my flan,pudding,salads,cakes etc. since you really don't know what other than dust it is.
I'd of figured the grocery stores would have a plan in place to either close down the store or seal off the cases where uncovered food is.

Anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM

475 posts, read 814,705 times
A little bit of grit..just call it ruffage.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I don't think they have any plan. These storms like last night's are very rare, they move quickly, and produce has to be washed thoroughly at home, dust storm or not. In my decades of living here, I'd never given this issue any thought.

Last edited by observer53; 07-07-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think they have any plan. These storms like last night's are very rare, they move quickly, and produce has to be washed thoroughly at home, dust storm or not. In my decades of living here, I'd never given this issue any thought.
We started wondering about this two years ago when we were in Casa Grande at the Food City I spoke of in the prior post which was also our first encounter with "flying mud".
While a haboob of this magnitude may be rare severe dust/sand storms here are not as evidenced by us being in them every year since we've been here.
I find it interesting no one seems to have thought of this before... I mean think about this, with everything that is dumped onto or blows onto the dirt from waste to pesticides to god knows what and that all gets thrown up in the air and deposited where ever it lands, maybe on the cake you just bought...
Think of it this way, would you eat a piece of cake or bowl of pudding,potato salad etc that you dropped on the ground in the middle of a feed lot or waste treatment plant? Well you'd think the haboob isn't picky about what materiel it picks up...

Last edited by observer53; 07-07-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We started wondering about this two years ago when we were in Casa Grande at the Food City I spoke of in the prior post which was also our first encounter with "flying mud".
While a haboob of this magnitude may be rare severe dust/sand storms here are not as evidenced by us being in them every year since we've been here.
I find it interesting no one seems to have thought of this before... I mean think about this, with everything that is dumped onto or blows onto the dirt from waste to pesticides to god knows what and that all gets thrown up in the air and deposited where ever it lands, maybe on the cake you just bought...
Think of it this way, would you eat a piece of cake or bowl of pudding,potato salad etc that you dropped on the ground in the middle of a feed lot or waste treatment plant? Well you'd think the haboob isn't picky about what materiel it picks up...
That's why it's a good idea to rinse your fresh veggies before preparing them. When I worked for a grocery store back in the 70s, they used pesticides to kill mice in the back rooms. Nobody washed the product after, that was the customers job, right or wrong.

Haven't been in Food City in a while. Most stores cover their baked/deli goods. When I do think about it I assume they prepare such goods daily. On the day I see debri in the bread, salad or sandwiches, I point it out to the clerk and don't buy that day. If it looks OK tomorrow maybe.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM

69 posts, read 224,100 times
In my opinion, too much is being made in this thread about dust in the food from this and other previous Haboobs. Let us use some common sense here. Just don't purchase food that may have been contaminated. Wait a few days after the event if possible. Simple as that! I believe that common sense has been "tossed out the window."

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes172 View Post
a little bit of grit..just call it ruffage.
lol

Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
In my opinion, too much is being made in this thread about dust in the food from this and other previous Haboobs. Let us use some common sense here. Just don't purchase food that may have been contaminated. Wait a few days after the event if possible. Simple as that! I believe that common sense has been "tossed out the window."
Nothing is being made of this if you take current food safety requirements into consideration. Being in the food service industry with health codes that get down to the nitty gritty (sorry for the pun ) I'm surprised it's not been addressed by someone.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Bowls of pudding or potato salad, or cakes, are not sitting out in the front of the store uncovered. Your analogy doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
That's why it's a good idea to rinse your fresh veggies before preparing them. When I worked for a grocery store back in the 70s, they used pesticides to kill mice in the back rooms. Nobody washed the product after, that was the customers job, right or wrong.

Haven't been in Food City in a while. Most stores cover their baked/deli goods. When I do think about it I assume they prepare such goods daily. On the day I see debri in the bread, salad or sandwiches, I point it out to the clerk and don't buy that day. If it looks OK tomorrow maybe.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Nothing is being made of this if you take current food safety requirements into consideration. Being in the food service industry with health codes that get down to the nitty gritty (sorry for the pun ) I'm surprised it's not been addressed by someone.
I'm not surprised at all. I really don't think there's an issue. If there is one for you personally, wait a day before you buy anything not in a can or factory sealed package.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
It's the DESERT people, the desert has dust...some days worse then others....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: