Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 18,729 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking forward to any and all information I can find before we make this big move. I am a little embarrassed but one of my biggest concerns are African Bees, snakes and scorpions. Am I crazy to think that I should be looking under bed covers, cupboards, pools? Should I be really alarmed or what? Those damn nature channels. I am absolutely clueless!!!
I am orginally from Queens in NYC. I moved to NJ three years ago and here we are moving again. We are a young family (2 kids/ 4 and 2 years old). I am excited for all of us because I know this move will be wonderful. I just want to make sure I research as best I can for the best fit. Is that fair?

Hubbie's office will be in Phoenix but we are being geared to look at areas in Mesa like Augusta Ranch, and others (I cannot remember others)
We are a mixed family. I am hispanic (Dominican) and my husband is Black.
I did not see much information on preschools (i guess it depends on were you live?). What is a HOA? Could not decipher acronym. Is it good or bad? Should I be worried about the drinking water? Are there churches? How much commute time from i.e. Gilbert to Phoenix. Please forgive the barage of ???'s.
Also coming from Queens and Nj, I am a big fan of eyebrow threading, indian food, Whole food Supermarket, etc. Sorry if it sounds prissy. But any all help is awesome. Thank you Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomomie View Post
Hello,
I am looking forward to any and all information I can find before we make this big move. I am a little embarrassed but one of my biggest concerns are African Bees, snakes and scorpions. Am I crazy to think that I should be looking under bed covers, cupboards, pools? Should I be really alarmed or what? Those damn nature channels. I am absolutely clueless!!!
I am orginally from Queens in NYC. I moved to NJ three years ago and here we are moving again. We are a young family (2 kids/ 4 and 2 years old). I am excited for all of us because I know this move will be wonderful. I just want to make sure I research as best I can for the best fit. Is that fair?

Hubbie's office will be in Phoenix but we are being geared to look at areas in Mesa like Augusta Ranch, and others (I cannot remember others)
I did not see much information on preschools (i guess it depends on were you live?). What is a HOA? Could not decipher acronym. Is it good or bad? Should I be worried about the drinking water? Are there churches? How much commute time from i.e. Gilbert to Phoenix. Please forgive the barage of ???'s.
Also coming from Queens and Nj, I am a big fan of eyebrow threading, indian food, Whole food Supermarket, etc. Sorry if it sounds prissy. But any all help is awesome. Thank you Arizona

I'm originally from Ny and lived in Jersey for a few years too. I myself was petrified by these desert creatures and was extremely nervous about having to deal with that stuff. I am happy to say after 19 years living on all sides of the Valley I never had a problem or have even seen a snake or scorpion. I always had a bugman because I will not deal with spiders or anything. I can't even look at a spider on TV.

Anyway my sister in-law lives at Augusta Ranch and it's ok, it has a golf course and lots of stores in the area. It's East Mesa but in the Gilbert school district. The school is getting better over there. My kids went to Desert Ridge Jr high the first year it opened and it wasn't so great we moved into the HIghland district, but it was new. My sister in-law seems very pleased with the schools now. HOA means homeowners association and they are good to have. If you live in an area without one, your neighborhood will look like crap.

Get yourself a water filter, I don't like tap water. What kind of Churches are you looking for? There's plenty.

Whole Foods? Hmmmm I can't think of one in that area but they have Sprouts about 15 minutes away. My sister in-laws husband commutes dwontown everyday but he leaves really early like 4:30, it takes him about 40 minutes.

Indian Food? Like from India or American Indian?

I never heard of eyebrow threading sorry.

You might look at zipcode 85236 in Gilbert also.

Subdivisions
Superstition Springs
The Highlands
Towne Meadows
Carol Rae
Holliday Farms
Highland Grove
Higley Grove
Higley Estates
Sonoma Ranch
Val Vista Lakes
Cornerstone
Highland Corner
Melody Ranch

Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
I wouldn't worry too much about crawly creatures. You can do a search on the forum and find a ton of info about that.

We have a LOT of churches here, not to worry.

I have heard of eyebrow threading, saw it on the news a few years ago. You can probably call around and find a salon that does that. Looks interesting.

An HOA is a "homeowners association". I like them for the most part. You pay a fee (monthly, quarterly, or yearly) and they enforce rules in your subdivision, like yard upkeep, cars parked in the street, etc. But they also tell you what color you can and cannot paint your home. Some people hate them, some think they're ok. I have seen my share of neighborhoods that do not have them and they tend to go downhill as no one is enforcing upkeep. Nowadays, most subdivisions have them. Fees will range from $15-$100+ per month, but mostly for a house it will be more like $20-$50. Condos are higher (more like $150-300 per month) this is due to community pools and such.

We only have just a few Whole Food's out here. Like Sheena said, there's also Sprout's which I love, it's not quite like Whole Foods, less fancy and cheaper food.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM

If you guys are any indication of the kind of people I will be around, I am thrilled!!!! Thanks so much for all the feed back. I cannot wait to go to Sprouts? Also the food was Indian from India. I guess I better get used to distinguishing that, huh? So happy to hear about the creepy crawlers, yuck! No more hibijibies. I found the eyebrow threading at some place called Ragtop Day Spa in Tempe also a salon called Mila? Thanks about the HOA. I feel smarter already. The churches we need are Baptist or even Unity Churches. So the commute is 40 minutes, that early in the a.m. ?I was reading on an Arizona website that Phoenix was like 15 minutes from Mesa? I guess they were not factoring in real people travel? Thanks again. I cannot wait to generate more questions. Thanks Ladies

Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
If you guys are any indication of the kind of people I will be around, I am thrilled!!!! Thanks so much for all the feed back. I cannot wait to go to Sprouts? Also the food was Indian from India. I guess I better get used to distinguishing that, huh? So happy to hear about the creepy crawlers, yuck! No more hibijibies. I found the eyebrow threading at some place called Ragtop Day Spa in Tempe also a salon called Mila? Thanks about the HOA. I feel smarter already. The churches we need are Baptist or even Unity Churches. So the commute is 40 minutes, that early in the a.m. ?I was reading on an Arizona website that Phoenix was like 15 minutes from Mesa? I guess they were not factoring in real people travel? Thanks again. I cannot wait to generate more questions. Thanks Ladies
I'm not from Phoenix, but I'd imagine they have Wild Oats (Whole Foods is about to buy them) and Trader Joe's. The second one is out of CA and you may not be familiar with it, but it's a nice store catering to the health-conscious crowd. I personally like it because of the imports. AJ's is a nice grocery chain, albeit expensive. OK, I'm speculating here a bit, but I figure that if we have something in Tucson, Phoenix is bound to have it, too. Everything moves there first.

He-he, this brow threading deal is funny. I didn't know about it until fairly recently, either. Remember a guy was asking on another forum what we thought about it 'cause his wife was making him do it. My understanding was it means receding of heavy brows. Hey, nothing wrong with it if makes you happy.

About the creatures... honestly I don't know why so many people are obsessed with it... I'm yet to see a scorpion and the desert down in Tucson is way more preserved than in Phoenix.

The HOAs... I have mixed feelings about them. I hate them on principle, but it is true that many neighborhoods without them go downhill... Luckily, their previously quite unlimited power to harass people has been curbed somewhat recently.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Yep, you'll find baptist and unity churches. I think you'll find more indian food from india than native indian food, not to worry.

Commute times that you read was probably from the border of Phx on the east to the border of Mesa during non-peak times. The east side of town is very busy commuting wise. I see it on the morning traffic reports and it always looks like a mess. If you live somewhere closer to work it will make life easier. You couldn't pay me to live in Mesa and commute to Phx, I just wouldn't do it. I don't like battling in traffic that much, especially when it's so hot out. How much are you looking to spend on a home? There are so MANY nice areas all around phoenix that would be a better commute.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey Sablebaby
Online we saw the homes in Phoenix above 450+. Also, some home on line everything looks so close. It seems like neighbors are almost on top of each other. Maybe it was the picture angles. Truly wishful thinking. I know hubbie's office is in Phoenix. What towns are close to Phoenix that I would not have to compromise education for the kiddies? Also, since we are a young family. Our kids may be a little noisey for retired spa soaking folks.
Hey Sierra AZ, I laughed so hard with your post. No heavy brow drama just like the brow threading as opposed to waxing. Thanks for all the info.
I am thrilled to have found this posting.Thank you guys
Also, Boston Mom you are awesome. Thanks for your info. I will have a bunch of questions as soon as I get more details of our relo.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hey Sablebaby
Online we saw the homes in Phoenix above 450+. Also, some home on line everything looks so close. It seems like neighbors are almost on top of each other. Maybe it was the picture angles. Truly wishful thinking. I know hubbie's office is in Phoenix. What towns are close to Phoenix that I would not have to compromise education for the kiddies? Also, since we are a young family. Our kids may be a little noisey for retired spa soaking folks.
Hey Sierra AZ, I laughed so hard with your post. No heavy brow drama just like the brow threading as opposed to waxing. Thanks for all the info.
I am thrilled to have found this posting.Thank you guys
Also, Boston Mom you are awesome. Thanks for your info. I will have a bunch of questions as soon as I get more details of our relo.
We definitely have thousands of homes under $450k. Phx is HUGE (!) and we have every price range. You can find some nice homes for $300k or less if that's more affordable. If I were in the market for a home, I'd be looking at $250+ (unless of course I had millions). Yes, the homes are on top of each other, some worse than others though. I've seen some that were just a few inches from roof to roof. Developers like to cram in as many homes they can for more profit.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Augusta Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
We definitely have thousands of homes under $450k. Phx is HUGE (!) and we have every price range. You can find some nice homes for $300k or less if that's more affordable. If I were in the market for a home, I'd be looking at $250+ (unless of course I had millions). Yes, the homes are on top of each other, some worse than others though. I've seen some that were just a few inches from roof to roof. Developers like to cram in as many homes they can for more profit.

The more I read the more concerned I get about things I have not even thought about. For example air quality, dust storms. I read how certain residents feel about Mesa. I guess I would have to go and see for myself. The area suggested to us was Augusta Ranch but I really would prefer not be surrounded by trailers if at all possible. Also I do not want to be stuck inside all day because of the weather. What is the temp like today?

Regardless, I will need to make the best of everything because it looks 99% like the relo is happening. I dont want my kids to suffer because of our bad research and eagerness not to continue to pay New Jersey taxes.
Thanks for all your info and please know I so appreciate it.

Jonomomie

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 108,272 times
Quote:
Hello,

Have you moved yet. Have you found a good place to live? We are going through the same thing, if you have moved you may be able to answer some of my ?'s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona