Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 80,922 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm a guy in my 20s from the Deep South. I love the heat... just not so much the humidity in my part of the country. I've been to the desert southwest before and love it. I see myself living there forever. What's this part of AZ like? I was considering moving to Tucson, but I want to have another option. Are towns like Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City, and Kingman nice? Is the average rent cheaper (1 bed 1 bath/studio) in those 3 cities than Tucson you think? I just need to be in the desert. Phoenix is just too big. Medium sized cities/towns for me. I'm open for other city/town recommendations. Also, I'm not moving there right now...just doing my research and exploring. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
I think these small Arizona towns can offer an excellent quality of life for the right person or family. Whether or not you are that kind of person would depend entirely on you.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I think these small Arizona towns can offer an excellent quality of life for the right person or family. Whether or not you are that kind of person would depend entirely on you.
That sounds great kdog. I would like to think I am the right kind of person to settle around the area.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 AM

70 posts, read 280,076 times
Hi Sharkie! I'm in the BHC/Fort Mohave area along the River. I blog about it all the time. If you want to read some of my posts, you can at my website or blog, both in my profile here.
I personally love it here. 17 years in October, from Southern Cali.
I couldn't tell you how the rents compare to Tucson but for a 1/1 or studio you could probably get in for under 300 a month somewhere adequate, and 400 or so somewhere attractive.
My husband's from Tampa FL and had a little acclimation issue with the heat at first--but he grew to really love it here.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice - Next Wave View Post
Hi Sharkie! I'm in the BHC/Fort Mohave area along the River. I blog about it all the time. If you want to read some of my posts, you can at my website or blog, both in my profile here.
I personally love it here. 17 years in October, from Southern Cali.
I couldn't tell you how the rents compare to Tucson but for a 1/1 or studio you could probably get in for under 300 a month somewhere adequate, and 400 or so somewhere attractive.
My husband's from Tampa FL and had a little acclimation issue with the heat at first--but he grew to really love it here.
400 or so for somewhere attractive? I live on the coast and 400 (or anything around that price) is unheard of. I'm paying almost triple that without utilities! I wouldn't call my place nice either lol. Thank you Candice! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Time to move to the desert ASAP.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
You planning on working? While your rent may be 1/3 of what you pay now, it's also possible your income may be as well. Jobs are scarce you know. Not trying to scare you off, but you do need to have your eyes open. Also, what are your needs for social life? It's not the best in these small towns. I have a family and we're pretty self-sufficient. But I would think a young person would find the social opportunities to be somewhat limited.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You planning on working? While your rent may be 1/3 of what you pay now, it's also possible your income may be as well. Jobs are scarce you know. Not trying to scare you off, but you do need to have your eyes open. Also, what are your needs for social life? It's not the best in these small towns. I have a family and we're pretty self-sufficient. But I would think a young person would find the social opportunities to be somewhat limited.
Yes kdog I plan on working. I'm not ever going to move somewhere with out a job lined up. Social life? Got to be better over there than here. I'm a young guy surrounded by older folks who play golf and compare medications with one another hahaha. Besides I'm more of an outdoorsman. Not like I need to hang out in some club. Those days have passed for me. That's why I'm considering BHC area, Tucson, and some other places. I'm just researching right now.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM

70 posts, read 280,076 times
kdog is right, sharkie; our costs are lower but so are our salaries. We are a service industry dominant workforce.
If you have medical background or a teaching credential, teachers and especially medical personnel are in demand--and the latter are given many inducements.
Valley View Medical Center is planning an expansion and I just met today with one of their representatives and the administrators of a new private school who are looking to lease option one of my commercial buildings.
The hospital is promoting the new school to doctors they want to recruit, since the doctors won't relocate without good schools for their kids. It was really interesting.
This is an available rental I just grabbed (from a local rental co site-I do not do residential rentals) - in a brand new building and a 2/2 for 550 . . . just to give you an insight into what is typical.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice - Next Wave View Post
kdog is right, sharkie; our costs are lower but so are our salaries. We are a service industry dominant workforce.
If you have medical background or a teaching credential, teachers and especially medical personnel are in demand--and the latter are given many inducements.
Valley View Medical Center is planning an expansion and I just met today with one of their representatives and the administrators of a new private school who are looking to lease option one of my commercial buildings.
The hospital is promoting the new school to doctors they want to recruit, since the doctors won't relocate without good schools for their kids. It was really interesting.
This is an available rental I just grabbed (from a local rental co site-I do not do residential rentals) - in a brand new building and a 2/2 for 550 . . . just to give you an insight into what is typical.
Thanks Candice! My field is environmental science/engineering.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
I just thought I'd point out that Kingman's climate is lot different than BHC and LHC's climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona