Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM

112 posts, read 293,294 times

Advertisements

Both my dad and grandpa had valley fever and never knew they had it until it showed up on a chest x-ray. I am pretty sure I had it once but never went to the Doctor. It lasted for a few months. I'm pretty sure valley fever goes away on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,348,555 times
Track and Field Lover, would you choose not to visit the eastern part of the U.S. because of fear of getting Lyme Disease? Because I've lived in the east and the west and I know many more people who have had Lyme Disease than Valley Fever.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

14 posts, read 27,654 times
I had Valley Fever the first year I lived here. I did see the doctor and because one of my symptoms was erythema nodosum I had to do several labs to rule out more serious problems. My legs hurt so bad that I could barely walk. I slept a lot. However, I will say that the doctor was very surprised and called in an intern so that he could see my rare symptom. He told me most people get it and never have any idea. I never took any medication.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 PM

54 posts, read 188,297 times
Thanks for answers!

So, you really think that doctors in Europe can do something about it if you are unlucky and get hit with the dissiminated type of the illness? I hope so!

I actually used the search function but did not find so much in particular about opinions about the valleyfeversurvivorsite being overly exaggerated..

Has anyone checked that site out?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track and field lover View Post
Thanks for answers!

So, you really think that doctors in Europe can do something about it if you are unlucky and get hit with the dissiminated type of the illness? I hope so!

I actually used the search function but did not find so much in particular about opinions about the valleyfeversurvivorsite being overly exaggerated..

No, I haven't, but if, as you've indicated, it emphasizes the rare severe case and makes it seem like everyone who shows up in Phoenix will get it with the first breeze, and are likely to get a severe case (which is actually very rare) I don't need to. What you've read here on this thread, and others you could read here, would tell you that such sites give a very exaggerated view. Come visit, and enjoy yourself. The odds of you getting even a mild case on your visit are VERY low, too low to worry about.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,138,512 times
Quote:
Thanks for answers!

Just the phrase "valley fever survivor" is humorous. That site exists to sell her book.

I think it's like saying I won't go to Europe because I'm afraid I'll get Mad Cow Disease.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,173,803 times
Quote:
Thanks for answers!

I'd like to add, in addition to the entire VF issue being grossly exaggerated on that website, at the end of the day, VF is not some exotic and deadly disease unknown to the medical community. It's a fungal infection. Doctors in Europe are just as capable of managing fungal infections as doctors in Arizona or anywhere VF occurs. And, there's the internet. We're not talking about information being unavailable to doctors in Europe. Really, you are worrying for no good reason. Relax and enjoy your visit!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,248,629 times
Even when you are treated for VF in Arizona it is with standard Anti-fungal medications that are available worldwide. There would be no reason to come to AZ for treatment as there is nothing special to the treatment. Now, a diagnosis of dissiminated VF might be easier to get in AZ just because Doctors here are familiar with seeing VF, however, once you have a diagnosis there is nothing out of the ordinary from any other fungal infection. Also, I've noticed a lot of people on that website say they have VF even though they have received test results showing them negative for VF. Seems every ailment each person has on that website is blamed on VF even when their doctors are telling them otherwise.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
Just let your doctor know that you've been here if you get ill when you get back. As long as they know you've been to the southwest they can keep your symptoms in mind with Vally Fever. Most likely, even if you did get it, you wouldn't need a doctor.
BBC News | HEALTH | Valley fever hits UK patient

Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM

54 posts, read 188,297 times
Default Flight booked!

Thanks again for reassuring answers!

I have booked my flight to Phoenix now!

I dont think I can get sick anyway, as Im in the best shape of my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona