Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM

785 posts, read 1,365,633 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Francisco in the 60s,70s and 80s moving away from Calif. in 1987 but now thinking of relocating somewhere as sadly my wife of 25 yrs has decided to move on.
I am an experienced physician assistant so expect to find work practically anywhere there is are medical practices. Anyways, I love the outdoors and would like to find some where to move where my 16 yr old son and I can enjoy 4 wheeling, hunting, hiking, fishing, kayaking/boating.
My ideal area would be in an area with some green forested hills with plenty of free public lands (not over-regulated) to allow multiple recreational activities.
I would like to live in a gun friendly, moderate minded area that has all the amenities you need (home depot, walmart, hunting/fishing supplies,etc) but difinitely not in the "rat race" of overpopulated communities/cities with traffic-jammed commute lines.
Because I have a 16 yr old son, good education is important and drug/crime ridden areas are out.
I'm budget-minded and desire to live in a moderately priced home of 3/2/2.
If I could I would love to buy at least a few acres but if too costly, want to have quick access to public recreational land.
Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,779 times
Pinetop-Lakeside. There is a hospital in nearby Show Low and multiple clinics. It is as close to "green forested hills as you will come, I think.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Prescott.

Def winters but nothing like Pinetop and lots of good shopping.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM

16 posts, read 53,394 times
Look into Flagstaff, you and your son would enjoy it. Great Uni, local airport and access to many medical facilities. The cost of living is higher than other areas in AZ but the location makes up for it. The Flagstaa police department is full of amazing people and the police to resident ratio is higher than most cities, it feels safe.

There is also Sierra Vista/Hereford area, affordable living (a lot of available land) with access to good schools and very very safe.
Here you're only 1 hour from the big city Tucson.

Arizona is so beautiful! Good luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM

17,907 posts, read 13,838,680 times
In Arizona your larger town/small city options would be Flagstaff and Prescott/Prescott Valley.

Small town options would be Lakeside/Pinetop/Showlow. Payson/Strawberry, and Springerville/Eager, and Chino Valley.

Real small town options would be Williams/Ashfork and Heber/Overgaard.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In Arizona your larger town/small city options would be Flagstaff and Prescott/Prescott Valley.

Small town options would be Lakeside/Pinetop/Showlow. Payson/Strawberry, and Springerville/Eager, and Chino Valley.

Real small town options would be Williams/Ashfork and Heber/Overgaard.
You forgot Yuma, Havasu, Bullhead and Sierra Vista. All of them are well over 30 thousand people. The first 3 are hotter than hell and SV is a military town but very nice weather.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 AM

13,289 posts, read 21,918,469 times
Kingman. You're definitely covered as far as outside activities go. It's surrounded by open desert and mountains. Off-roading is second to none due to endless Jeep trails through the mountains connecting some 2500 abandoned mines in the county. Ditto for hiking. 40 minutes from the Colorado River for boating and kayaking. Great weather due to 3500' elevation. It's on I40 and Highway 93, and also historic Rt66. 90 minutes from Las Vegas. Medical care is a big industry due to the many retirees there. Elementary schools are good, but middle-school and high school options not as good. Keep in mind that AZ ranks dead last for school funding in the country, so that's pretty much par for the course in the state. I met many successful people who were schooled in Kingman during my years there, but there are also lots of deadbeats raised there too, just like any other town. Which side your son will gravitate towards depends on your relationship with him.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 53,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You forgot Yuma, Havasu, Bullhead and Sierra Vista. All of them are well over 30 thousand people. The first 3 are hotter than hell and SV is a military town but very nice weather.
Yuma Havasu and Bullhead are terrible places to live if youre coming from San Fransicso!

Sierra Vista is a great idea for outdoorman, there's Bisbee, Hereford, Senoita and then Tucson only an hour away. Southern Arizona is diverse culturally and politically and has some excellent schools and vacation spots.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 PM

35 posts, read 117,849 times
Well since you are looking for '' forested hills'' I would say flagstaff. The schools are good (I hear) has a big college community for your son, opportunity for you, and tons of activities. Grand canyon just to the north, Sedona to the south, Colorado river to the west, Pinetop to the east, hiking galore in Flagstaff itself. Hard to go wrong!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,779 times
I think Sierra Vista is HORRIBLE for an outdoorsman. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona