Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 16,075 times

Advertisements

I am about to Move to Yuma from across the country and was wondering if it was anything in special i should know about this area.

Also what are the average utilty cost for this area, what is the school system like.

and ohh yeah what areas should i avoid when looking for a place to live?

Please someone reply to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,249 times
I live in Yuma currently but want to move out. I don't like it here but some people love it. I guess it depends on your preferences. There is a lot of spraying and pollution here. They burn the fields, which is horrible for allergies. I would pretty much avoid any of the apartment complexes. Rent has really gone up around here. I currently pay 555 dollars for a studio apartment. My utility bill has been as much as 100 dollars in the summer for a studio apartment. I do know people with houses who have paid as much as 600 dollars for utilities in the summer. I work at a pretty nice school in the Foothills though.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I live in Yuma currently but want to move out. I don't like it here but some people love it. I guess it depends on your preferences. There is a lot of spraying and pollution here. They burn the fields, which is horrible for allergies. I would pretty much avoid any of the apartment complexes. Rent has really gone up around here. I currently pay 555 dollars for a studio apartment. My utility bill has been as much as 100 dollars in the summer for a studio apartment. I do know people with houses who have paid as much as 600 dollars for utilities in the summer. I work at a pretty nice school in the Foothills though.
The most ive ever paid for electricity is 200 dollars,but I have the equalizer plan,so I pay 105 a month.
this is for a 2200 sq ft house.
Go figure,I guess if you want the temperature inside the house at 74 degree all the time 600 is within reason.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 AM

443 posts, read 2,136,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTATL View Post
I am about to Move to Yuma from across the country and was wondering if it was anything in special i should know about this area.

Also what are the average utilty cost for this area, what is the school system like.

What are you going to be doing ( job wise) and do you want to rent or own a house?
We lived there and I liked the foothills area. My son went to Sunrise Elementry and we LOVED the school there. Even if you want to rent or own I would get a house with a pool, so worth it. Depending on your budget home in town are a little cheapear then those in the foothills. But def get a pool!!!!
We had a 1500 sf ft house and our worse electricity bill was $240 in August and that was with the air running all the time. But in the winter it was sooooo cheap, so it averages out in the long run. A good sight for houses is Yuma, Arizona - Yuma Homes and Real Estate for Sale at ERAyuma.com and check out Yuma Sun : Homepage

You can search "Yuma" on these threads and there are a few taht will pop up. There is a lot of negative commetns about Yuma so take it with a grain of salt. It's sooooo darn hot there in summer, but it's wonderful in the winter!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTATL View Post

Sorry, JSTATL, my only knowledge of Yuma is . . . BOOGER HOT in the Summer!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 18,328 times
I was born and raised in Yuma. There is not a lot of good to say about it. The nice thing is that you are only 2.5 hours from San Diego, and 30 minutes from Mexico, 2.5 hours from Phx. I would only recommend living in the Foothills. The schools are better, and there are some nice new communities right across the street from 3 elementary schools and a brand new High School, also the college. Check out Tamarack Estates, my parents live there and my Dad sells real estate for Coldwell Banker in the Foothills. He has lived in Yuma for at least 25 years and could help you out with a home. Let me know if you want his info.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 92,327 times
I have to agree, I like the foothills area myself but in the winter time, holy cow! The snowbirds invade and our population triples. Depending on your price range, Barkley Ranch, Pioneer Park, and Picacho are all fairly new and nice neighborhoods that are close to schools and shopping.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 AM

443 posts, read 2,136,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizborn View Post
I have to agree, I like the foothills area myself but in the winter time, holy cow! The snowbirds invade and our population triples. Depending on your price range, Barkley Ranch, Pioneer Park, and Picacho are all fairly new and nice neighborhoods that are close to schools and shopping.
I agree 100% I like the foothills and would only want to live there if we ever moved back BUT the winter snowbirds..oh my!!! Just going to Fry's off Fortuna to get a gallon of milk could take a while!!
I wonder though, has it been a little better since the new walmart opened up out there?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 92,327 times
Since the new Wal-Mart opened this summer we won't know if it did in fact help until after the winter visitors are here.

It is almost that time.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,088 times
Im thinking of moving to Yuma to take a job with the Yuma Scorpions baseball team. I'm curious what part of the city the ballpark is located in, if its a good surrounding neighborhood, or bad. Im a mid-20's male so I also would like to know what the night life is like in Yuma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona