Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,996,099 times

Advertisements

I got the 90-day temps for our two cars, also both 2012s. They are $15 each, the ADOT folks who did it for me were pleasant and gave me the total cost for the permanent registrations (over $800 for the two cars! sheesh!) when I got the temps. The whole process including waiting time took less than 45 minutes, and the ADOT office was pretty busy at the time. As I understand it, when I go back for the permanent registrations, the effective date will be the day I got the temps, so if I wait the full 90 days, which I probably won't, I'd have 9 months left on my 1 year AZ registration. And now I have placards on my cars, so I don't have to worry about getting fined. To me that's worth 15 bucks each. In the case of one car I'm losing most of the year on my PA registration, and on the other car the expiration date for PA just passed, so I lost nothing there, but I'd rather comply with the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,996,099 times
BTW while we're on this topic...does anyone here know if I should take the PA plates off the cars now that I have the temps in the rear window or should I leave them on until I get the actual AZ plates? I didn't think to ask that at the ADOT office.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

710 posts, read 3,393,683 times
There is no grace period, as you know. I would recommend you license your car in VA as planned, and research the way VA refunds pro-rated registration fees once a resident leaves the state.

Arizona will refund excess registration costs when AZ residents move out of state and cancel their AZ registrations, but I am aware that many new england states do not.

In that case, you might have to pay twice, once you get here, or roll the dice and drive on your VA plates while here as an AZ resident. The second option, of course, might cost you a pretty penny if your dice roll comes up craps, or if a neighborhood busybody usedS the "rat" DMV webpage to let the state know about your plates.

It's a perennial issue here in AZ, because tags cost a lot, and surrounding states (texas) are far less expensive.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM

710 posts, read 3,393,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
BTW while we're on this topic...does anyone here know if I should take the PA plates off the cars now that I have the temps in the rear window or should I leave them on until I get the actual AZ plates? I didn't think to ask that at the ADOT office.

Take them off and leave them in the trunk. As far as AZ is concerned, you have valid AZ registration

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,350,327 times
Snowbird defense does not count if you take employment. You go to work, you "MUST" get state plates. PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: