Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times

Advertisements

Feels like a Florida day today! The humidity is only around 30 percent but the dew point was 61%. I can't stay dry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I am pretty much sold on moving back to Florida as I have grown tired of northern winters. I love the sun, tropical flora, and the wetlands that Florida has to offer, but I keep tossing around the notion of living in the desert as well. Can anyone out there offer up a decent comparison of the quality of life, etc. in these two states? I know, I know, most of you will say that I will not be able to top where I live now as far as overall quality of life goes....but yeah...I can't deal with the thought of putting up with one more winter after I survive the one coming...
As I stated many times before on CD, I don't miss Florida. I was in Tallahassee for over 13 years and spent a year in South Florida at Fort Lauderdale/Miami. I feel euphoric in being home in Arizona. I live in Scottsdale. I've been going up Piestewa Peak on weekends and love the sound of quail in the morning as I start the ascent. I had missed the Arizona monsoons here in Phoenix - the sight of the nimbocumulus clouds coming over from the Mogollon Rim is awesome.

I get flashbacks of pleasant memories of childhood in Scottsdale now that I have returned. I recall seeing "Star Wars" at the old Cine Capri back in early childhood. I remember watching drive-in movies in Scottsdale or Mesa. I remember Legend City, Wallace and Ladmo, etc.

But now I get to build "pleasant memories" in the modern time frame of 2017 and beyond. Everything old is new again. By contrast, I don't really have many pleasant memories of "Florida". I feel deeply relieved to escape.

When I was a child I used to watch the jets leave Sky Harbor Airport and had an urge to travel. Now that I am middle aged and escaped Florida I don't want to travel this year. I just want to be home in AZ. I missed watching the sunset from Papago Park when I was in Florida. Now I am here living it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKidATIrIH0

Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
If I had to do it all over again, I would've just spent the extra money and moved to California in the first place, skipping both Arizona and Florida altogether.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,803 times
I lived in South Florida for 15 years and have lived in Arizona for 16 years now. All factors considered Arizona is the hands down winner.
1. better weather(7 months are better than Florida since you have over 320 sunny rain free days in AZ and the summer is more bearable than Florida)No humidity in AZ ,in Florida I ran the a/c almost all year round because of humidity
2.closer proximity to weekend vacation areas(california, vegas, mexico and N arizona) from south Florida where the majority live it will take you almost 12 hours to get to NC and 9 hours to get to Georgia which makes a day trip almost impossible.
3 bugs are a big problem in Florida and no problem in AZ
4 friendlier people( more people with core family values live in Az)
5 better housing available in AZ (newer and cheaper) and the lack of humidity and rain makes housing stay newer looking longer and lowers maintenance costs big time
6 cheaper food costs due to having over a dozen different food stores in AZ as opposed to 1 major monopoly in Florida (Publix)
7 home insurance costs in Arizona are over 66% less expensive than Florida(what you gain in no state income you lose to insurance companies in Florida)
8 This is the main reason I moved (no natural disasters in Arizona where in Florida you never no when life or property will be ruined by a hurricane or a tornado)you cannot put a price tag on peace of mind because of no natural disaster threats if you have lived through a severe hurricane, tornado, or earthquake with a young family.

https://tinyurl.com/yadjvzme 36 Reasons Why Arizona Is The Best State with great pics[/url]

Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 AM

Autism, I tried living in Florida (Daytona Beach) briefly. Loved the ocean, but did not like the city at all! I enjoyed living in Florida becaise there is so much to see and do. Arizona is a totally different vibe and is awesome in its own way. Although Phoenix, Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale are popular cities here I always say if you want to see the best of Arizona you gotta get out and explore the state.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,924 times
Default Fla or Az.

This is my first time on so not sure how to do this, but...
Replying to autism360
Your #3 AZ has no bugs? Huh? That's why I just joined this forum... wondering if the rest of Arizona is as buggy as I have found it here in South Sedona: roaches, crickets, beetles of every kind up to 3 inches, snakes, bats, wasps, ants, scorpions.... I am so sorry we moved here, I hate it. Funny thing is I grew up in south Florida (lauderdale area) and with Sedona's monsoon season heat and humidity I might as well have moved back to fla -- something I never ever wanted to do. Please do your research very carefully -- and include some roach motels.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntodesert View Post
This is my first time on so not sure how to do this, but...
Replying to autism360
Your #3 AZ has no bugs? Huh? That's why I just joined this forum... wondering if the rest of Arizona is as buggy as I have found it here in South Sedona: roaches, crickets, beetles of every kind up to 3 inches, snakes, bats, wasps, ants, scorpions.... I am so sorry we moved here, I hate it. Funny thing is I grew up in south Florida (lauderdale area) and with Sedona's monsoon season heat and humidity I might as well have moved back to fla -- something I never ever wanted to do. Please do your research very carefully -- and include some roach motels.
Many people are surprised to learn that Arizona can get humid during monsoon. While it is nothing like east coast humidity, you definitely feel it. So, you hate AZ? Would you move back to Florida?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 28,924 times
Never back to Fla. Arizona not what I expected but went along with what husband wanted. SW Colorado is my favorite, most livable.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I am pretty much sold on moving back to Florida as I have grown tired of northern winters. I love the sun, tropical flora, and the wetlands that Florida has to offer, but I keep tossing around the notion of living in the desert as well. Can anyone out there offer up a decent comparison of the quality of life, etc. in these two states? I know, I know, most of you will say that I will not be able to top where I live now as far as overall quality of life goes....but yeah...I can't deal with the thought of putting up with one more winter after I survive the one coming...
I love AZ and am euphoric to return to my home state after about 14 years in FL. I came back spring of 2017 - half a year ago. As a Gen X guy who remembers Scottsdale in the 70s (e.g. Los Arcos Mall, drive-in theaters, etc), it's great to see all the growth in homes and industry - everything "old" is new again. I am an avid mountain hiker and have been going up Piestewa Peak every weekend over the summer. I am slowly getting back to my old speed of the 1990s despite being middle aged. I love it.

To be fair to Florida, the one VERY DISTINCT advantage the state has compared to AZ is home football games. The level of competition, fan base size, fan intensity, "vibe" on campus, etc. in Florida far exceeds home football games in AZ. For example, this weekend U of A is playing NAU. Last Thursday, ASU played New Mexico State. By contrast, Florida and FSU have very elite caliber of competition today with a national focus. Tallahassee on game day becomes almost as densely crowded as downtown Miami with traffic jams. Florida's home game atmosphere at Gainesville exceeds Notre Dame (trust me I know).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGTYsEfxfkk

Florida also has a huge asymmetric cluster of football talent compared to other states: 3 star to 5 star. Gainesville's new quarterback from Wakulla HS south of Tallahassee beat out an experienced Notre Dame transfer. Other well-known HS to recruiters include Lincoln, Lawton Chiles, St. Thomas Aquinas, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central, Manatee, etc. On home games many of the local talent get on display with a fan frenzy. it just doesn't get like that here in AZ (except rarely). FSU and Miami get a lot of local talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9gkJGno08

But I'd rather hike up Piestewa Peak than be caught in a traffic jam with drunk undergraduates in Tallahassee for a game where CTE is prevalent and many players are often in trouble on campus (e.g. suspensions, Winston, etc). No big deal to miss out now that my understanding of neurological impacts of football has matured. I'd rather watch Pac 12 soccer these days anyway.
CTE found in nearly 90 percent of brains donated by deceased football players

Old 09-02-2017, 10:34 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I can understand what you mean. We live where we can afford. Which means we can't always live where we would prefer. I have the same situation as you. An older Mobile Home in a 55+ Park in Fla. Sadly a park that keeps lowering the age to move in, and basically became low income housing. I've wondered does the whole country allow senior parks to become this. Or is it a Florida thing.

I imagine overall Arizona is a more pleasing location. I lived there briefly. At least alot less crowded and safer from storms. Like anywhere if you don't have adequate income, for these expensive times we live in. Then I think quality of life will suffer anywhere.

I think my vote would me Arizona over Florida. As long as you find the right spot for yourself.

This post is reference to Ozarkchicken post.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 09-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Reference post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona