Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times

Advertisements

This was on my pillow at the motel tonight. Anyone know what it is? One pic is with flash and one without, both are the same bug. I estimated it to be between a quarter and half an inch, so I assume it's too big to be a bedbug? It was very flat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
This was on my pillow at the motel tonight. Anyone know what it is? One pic is with flash and one without, both are the same bug. I estimated it to be between a quarter and half an inch, so I assume it's too big to be a bedbug? It was very flat.

sure looks like a bed bug, wiki says they can be up to 5 mm in length which is about 1/5", yours is probably just a real healthy one, probably engorged with blood...and pregnant or had just laid it's eggs

just out of curiosity....exactly what motel were you staying at?

(from wiki...)

Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Oh crap! Thanks for the identification. That is not good news. I got bit by something during the night too. It's the first time I've gotten bit during the night at this motel and I've been here since the beginning of June. It's a Studio 6.

How do I keep from bringing bedbugs with me to the house I'm moving into soon? I don't have any furniture to move with me, but I'll have my dog's bed, clothing, a box of files, and some other things.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Wash your clothing and dogs stuff at a laundromat when you leave the motel. Maybe wash the dog too. Don't know whether to say to fumigate the box of files or not. Under management the wikipedia article lists some pesticides.

Bed bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Bed bug information and how to take care of ridding them:
FAQ List for Bed Bugs
And if you're traveling, better to get rid of them before your next destination as they travel easily. High heat treatments are the recommended control.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks!

I took the pics to the motel manager and he confirmed that it's a bedbug. I woke up with a couple of bites. I don't know if those bites happened before I caught the bedbug or if there is more than one that got me after I found this one. It/they might have been brought here from a different motel. I've been here since June without any problems, but I stayed one night at a motel in Phoenix, this past Wednesday. I didn't get bit there though, and didn't get bit here the next night either. Only last night. Yesterday the people next door to me checked out. They were pretty grungy looking people and I wonder if the bedbug might have moved over from their place after they checked out, but the manager says bedbugs don't move to a different room overnight, so he assumes it came from the motel I stayed at the other night.

They're moving me to a different room and getting a pest control company out here on Tuesday. The room has to sit for 2 weeks after treatment. They said the policy is that my room and the room next to me will be treated and possibly the rooms under and behind me. They're having me wash all my clothing before bringing it to the other room, and they said the pest control company will tell me what I have to do with my other stuff. What an ordeal!

I checked the mattress and can't find any signs of bedbugs, so I'm hoping this is an isolated incident. They said they don't take chances though. Even one bedbug gets treated like an infestation.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
there is a registry site to record and research bed bug reports for hotels and apartments, OP didn't indicate which Studio 6 they stayed at so I looked at all listed for AZ and none of the 3 (Phoenix, Tempe, Tuscon) had any "hits", which could also mean that no one registered their experience. Positives could also have also been brought in your own luggage from elsewhere too. You can also search by city and they will pull up all reported observations for city and suburbs.

check your hotel and apartments with this site late at night when you have nothing else to do, it'll be fun...sweet dreams.

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 AM

The assistant manager told me they haven't had a case of bedbugs in 3 years, but someone who has lived here longer than I have said they have. He said they inspected his room because a room near his had bedbugs. At least they do something about it. It's a hassle, but I'm glad they're taking it seriously even if it turns out to be just one bug.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there is a registry site to record and research bed bug reports for hotels and apartments, OP didn't indicate which Studio 6 they stayed at so I looked at all listed for AZ and none of the 3 (Phoenix, Tempe, Tuscon) had any "hits", which could also mean that no one registered their experience.
Someone posted a report on both the Tempe and Tucson Studio 6 tonight. However, their report doesn't mention their experience with bedbugs, only the other problems they had at the motels, so I don't know if they actually had a bedbug problem or not.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
The assistant manager told me they haven't had a case of bedbugs in 3 years, but someone who has lived here longer than I have said they have. He said they inspected his room because a room near his had bedbugs. At least they do something about it. It's a hassle, but I'm glad they're taking it seriously even if it turns out to be just one bug.
No "Bed Bug Expert" here, Themudpuppy . . .

However, KUDOS to your Studio 6 Management as it sure sounds like they are taking this extremely difficult and sensitive issue very seriously and doing everything possible to accommodate.

From what I have read and heard, Bed Bug Infestation is a serious problem for the Hotel Industry, regardless of the size and/or rates being charged.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona