Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 15,640 times

Advertisements

Okay here is the thing, I am from Montana, love it here, but I am scheduled to have an interview Tuesday next week for a new job in Phoenix! I am so excited and I keep telling myself that I would be dumb if I did not take this offer. I will probably move by myself for the time being, my husband soon to follow. The thing is I want to be safe while by myself, and I know the crime rate is like 215, which is double and plus some over the national average. But I have heard that Scottsdale is close by, and is more safe, and nice. However my other problem is that I have never been that north of Montana. I have always wanted to, and I know this is like a once in a life-time sort of deals, plus I am a nurse, and I need all of the experience I need in a large hospital than what is to be offered in Montana. Any suggestions? I would probably rent an apartment at first, then as soon as my husband moved we would rent a house, so definitely want a nice friendly neighborhood. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
Scottsdale has a much lower crime rate than Phoenix but the cost of living isn't pretty. An "average" home will run anywhere from $400,000 (In S. Scottsdale)-$1,200,000 (in N. Scottsdale) Since you're used to Montana life, the city might be a bit overwhelming at first.

I'd suggest looking in Fountain Hills, it's a little cheaper than Scottsdale and has that "small town" feel to it. The mountains are absolutely gorgeous and it has two of the best golf courses around.

I wish you the best!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 PM

Red face How is Tempe also?

My husband had a friend move to Tempe, but we have been unable to reach him, but how is it there? Thank you.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
Tempe isn't a bad area but it's a town FULL of college-age kids. The main campus of ASU is located there and Mill Avenue is a hub of activity. Tempe is relatively affordable but you have to keep in mind that you'll have kids driving around at 1 a.m. and the property might not be kept up.

I don't know what your price range is but if you want to stay under $350,000 I'd keep away from Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, and North Phoenix. Look into Chandler and Gilbert as they are probably your best bet. Both are close enough to Phoenix to commute and are family-friendly. Housing is cheaper too.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 AM

62 posts, read 266,992 times
What is your price range for apartments? There are a lotta inexpensive apartments throughout Scottsdale (check out i think they are Arcadia Apartments at Shea and Gold Dust near Chaparral High School), there are also inexpensive ones all by Tatum and Shea. Near 92nd Street and Shea and MOuntain View has a slew of affordable apartments. I wouldn't cross off living in Scottsdale if you are looking into apartments.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Post Apartments

About $700 (I will also have a mortgage in MT to pay, yikes! That is until the house sells), the hospital I will be working for, has referred me to two people to assist with moving, that's great and all, but these people get paid for this right? I want something nice, affordable, and safe! All advice is very appreciative. Thank you all!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,855 times
Smile Phoenix or Scottsdale

We've lived in the Phoenix area for 9 years. We are in the Northeast valley and find it to be safe. It will probably be a lot different for you here coming from Montana, but I've never felt unsafe. There is plenty of opportunity and depending upon where your job is, there are lots of new apartment complexes that are close to the freeways and shopping. Good areas for families as well.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdaisyd View Post
My husband had a friend move to Tempe, but we have been unable to reach him, but how is it there? Thank you.

If you are considering Tempe south Tempe is not bad, north Tempe anything N of Baseline don't bother

Don't look S Scottsdale either, YUK.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:50 PM

211 posts, read 641,494 times
If you're looking for a home under $300k, chances are you'll be living about an hour to an hour and a half outside central Phoenix due to real estate investors driving the price of everything through the roof in the past couple years.

I work in south Scottsdale and have no desire to come down here after dark. North Scottsdale is very nice, but very expensive too. I'd suggest looking along the 101 loop across the north side of town. Start about Shea or Cactus in the east (Scottsdale) and then follow the loop around, counter-clockwise to the west. Outside the loop will generally be newer homes, and you might find a deal with all the empty homes out here.

While I found this forum looking to leave Phoenix, I've lived all over the place and there really is no place like Phoenix. Despite all the dirt (it rains dirt out here, be ready for it - too dry to rain most of the time), this city is very clean. The landscape, the climate, the culture; this place is great. I've just done about five years here and feel it might be time to move someplace with more water and less than an hour commute (tip: Get a job, THEN find a house. Save yourself precious time commuting.). Then again, I might not be able to find anyplace else that makes me feel as at home as Phoenix does.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 PM

228 posts, read 818,918 times
No one has mentioned it yet but you may want to consider the climate. It will be substantially different than where you are living now. No need to travell all the way south to experience it. Just stick your head in a warm oven and imagine it all over your body. That's about what you'll experience during the summer months. Sure it's dry heat as the locals will tell you but 120 degrees is still 120 degrees. You may want to reconsider completey severing your roots in Montana until you've lived at least one year in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona