Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM

456 posts, read 1,499,678 times

Advertisements

The OP mentions truck lanes. That is what ADOT is doing on the southbound I17 going up Copper canyon hill. (Out of Camp Verde)

Curly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
The OP mentions truck lanes. That is what ADOT is doing on the southbound I17 going up Copper canyon hill. (Out of Camp Verde)

Curly
You are correct about the ADOT lanes from mile post 280 to 282 farther up the highway but I believe OP is talking about the curvy steep mile posts 242 to 248 north from Black Canyon City area which is the more congested narrower roadway. That area is not scheduled yet for widening and won't be until estimated 2050.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 AM

570 posts, read 1,002,280 times
I did the drive on I-17 to northern Arizona a couple weeks ago. It's a beautiful and scenic drive most of the way up. There are areas where people really need to slow down, and that's what makes some of the ride a little scary.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You are correct about the ADOT lanes from mile post 280 to 282 farther up the highway but I believe OP is talking about the curvy steep mile posts 242 to 248 north from Black Canyon City area which is the more congested narrower roadway. That area is not scheduled yet for widening and won't be until estimated 2050.
I have driven that more times than I can remember. I don't think it is much of a problem as long as the trucks stay in the right lane like they are supposed to. The left lane moves along decently and the stretch is fairly short. Three lanes would not hurt of course, but it would not be my priority for tight freeway funds.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have driven that more times than I can remember. I don't think it is much of a problem as long as the trucks stay in the right lane like they are supposed to. The left lane moves along decently and the stretch is fairly short. Three lanes would not hurt of course, but it would not be my priority for tight freeway funds.
This ^^^^^

I drive I17 from 179 to Phoenix and back a lot.

Mostly, the traffic flows just fine on the road. On the climbs from Black Canyon City to Sunset Point, from Camp Verde to Cherry and the climb from 179 up towards Flagstaff you just need to be a little patient from time to time.

The main irritation on the road is not the big rigs. Rather it is the left lane campers - often with CA plates - who seem oblivious to any other driver on the road.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I also have driven that hiway more times than I can remember or count. I've done it three times, round trip, in the past couple of weeks. Only once have I been held up because of an accident anywhere on the hiway. Last Sat. there was that accident just north of Black Canyon City and it took me 4 hours to do a 2 hour, or less, drive. What a mess. Cars and trucks lined up for, literally, miles. Most of the time the trucks and RVs do stay in the right lane and that's nice. As long as there are no accidents I think it's a great drive.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
a third lane would certainly be safer and more efficient....yes, other similar areas across the country do have them....and, yes, it would be tremendously expensive to add....

I-17 was built to its current configuration in the mid-1960s and was state-of-the-art at the time....and the population of metropolitan Phoenix then was about 700,000....

Arizona @ AARoads - Interstate 17

Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM

56 posts, read 140,329 times
my first meeting with I-17 Southbound was in winter of 1992 on our way to San Diego . we had left the flatlands of Nebraska and spent the night in Flag ,next morning when we left Flag it started to snow . i had not had any pervious driving up or down mountains .on the way down until we got into San Diego it seems we hit just about every kind of storm on earth . that even included a sandstorm as we went West on I-10 .
now i drive from where i get on I-17 at Cordes Junction and coast right on down . still at times i think of my first trip down from Sunset Point as the scariest . that belongs though driving East on I-80 through Nebraska and road is solid black ice .

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
I encounter two different scenarios when driving the climb north on 17. Both are the result of ignorant rudeness.

A big rig going about 40 mph is attempting to pass another big rig going 39, effectively blocking both lanes.

When passing a big rig at the speed limit, some brain dead moron zooms up on my tail going 10-15 mph over the speed limit and expects me to match his speed and get out of his way. If I am going the speed limit and am passing a slow vehicle in the left lane, nobody has the right to tailgate me into hurrying up.
Those feelings of personal powerlessness you're experiencing are not my problem. Take it out on somebody else.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM

344 posts, read 643,128 times
It was only a few short years ago (40) that the road to Flag was one paved lane on each side. 60 years ago there were still sections that were hard gravel. As tough as it is the road now is much improved. For an adventure try the Fossile Creek road from Strawberry to the I 17 connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona