Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

OK so on vacation I was driving I-17 from Phoenix on up to Flagstaff. The scenery is very remarkable as is the change in topography and gain in elevation in a relatively short amount of distance. This interstate has some serious mountain climbing. So why does it not have climbing lanes for trucks? Often it seems it can be difficult to cruise at or near speed limit or even a little bit above as the right lane is clogged with big rigs with hazards on doing 50 mph and the passing lane has idiots racing at 85 mph making it hard to move over and having to use the brakes on short notice. Has the AZDOT ever thought about constructing third climbing lanes on the steep inclines to make driving safer on I-17?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
In that short area you speak of it says all along the roadway that slow vehicles keep right, so there's no need for a 3rd lane. A 3rd lane there would involve closing down the freeway, blasting a large section of the mountain out and huge delays for years of expensive construction time.
It may be a minor inconvenience for some drivers, I've driven that section over a 1000 times with no problems. Years ago it was only one lane curvy roads to and from Flagstaff, you're lucky today with the improved highway.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Has the AZDOT ever thought about constructing third climbing lanes on the steep inclines to make driving safer on I-17?
It would be an extremely expensive project that ADOT just cannot afford.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
If you think I-17 is dangerous, then you haven't seen SR 87 through Payson. Very treacherous in the winter. We live in Gilbert, and this is a quicker route to drive to Albuquerque from where we live, however, in the winter we generally avoid it due to the icy roads, as AZ 87 isn't as frequently deiced as I-17.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
It would be an extremely expensive project that ADOT just cannot afford.
It's not as if it hasn't been done before on interstate highways in mountain passes in other states. I-90 from Seattle burbs all the way on up through Snoqualmie Pass has three lanes each direction traversing some very challenging terrain.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,553 times
There are only a couple of short stretches of I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff that you see this problem. Climbing out Phoenix is probably the one of concern but it isn't really that big a deal. Either you can climb at a reasonable speed and you position yourself or that or you might end up crawling with the slower vehicles. Knowing the road you can be prepared for how you are going to take it. To a lesser degree climbing south out of Campverde can be a little like that.

I used to drive that in my underpowered Nissan pickup with standard transmission and enjoyed the technical challenge of trying to stay in the right place on the power curve. People can't do 85 in the passing lane if you are in front of them doing the speed limit and no you aren't obligated to pull over behind the truck managing 25 so somebody can pass.

I believe the most dangerous part is decending the heights into Phoenix with the rest of the people returning to Phoenix after a weekend up north. I do not like lane changes through the turns coming down that hill but have never seen any accidents.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
I-17 will eventually be widened to three lanes.. it'll just take time. You can see it in all of the bridge reconstruction projects lately - the bridges are all extra wide. Wide enough to accommodate a third lane.

However, I think this has more to do with increasing traffic volume than providing a climbing lane. Can get pretty busy during certain days.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
I-17 will eventually be widened to three lanes.. it'll just take time. You can see it in all of the bridge reconstruction projects lately - the bridges are all extra wide. Wide enough to accommodate a third lane.

However, I think this has more to do with increasing traffic volume than providing a climbing lane. Can get pretty busy during certain days.
I figured that, Arizona's population is growing so quickly it would only be a matter of time.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post

The widening project has already started on the Camp Verde/Copper canyon section.

Curly

Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
ADOT schedule of I-17 improvements north of Phoenix up to year 2030:
Interstate 17 (Black Canyon Freeway) ~ Planned Improvements

There is no mention of widening the area(s) OP has posted about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona