Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

My spouse is considering a job in Bagdad AZ. Tell me about the place, please. I'm a grant writer and don't see it as having any opportunties for me.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I can't imagine what a grant writer - or anybody else - would do there. It's been a few years since I passed through, but my recollection is that it is a small place (less than 2000 I think) with the only thing of substance there being the Phelps Dodge open pit copper mine. It's a company town and PD owns most of the land and the houses. They even have a company store. Might be nice if you want to get away into barren hot, desert.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:36 PM

67 posts, read 376,935 times
I wouldn't move there without a visit unless you simply have no choice. It is pretty isolated and probably wouldn't be there at all without the mine. The desert is an aquired taste. Some find it and the solitude beautiful. Others do not.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:15 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Default Bagdad

Hi Karen

I definitely would take the Advice above about visiting there first. You may not like what you see. It is definitely a company mining town and very Generic looking. Certainly is isolated. Closest cities may be Presscott, maybe after that Wickenburg to the south. The cloest small town and communities would be Kirkland & Skull Valley and Peeples Valley & Yarnell further south.

I thought it to be very depressed looking. I remeber thinking of all the places in Arizona , that one would be last on my list.

Mind you , I'm in Sweden now and it would be paradise by comparison. Still take a visit and see before you go there. You may or may not like, but at least you can decide before making a commitment.

Cheers , Kevin

Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM

78 posts, read 421,206 times
This is what I've been told: The mining company built the town for that reason...to get/keep employees. It is so isolated and desolate, that they built homes and the few grocery/general stores and pretty much all the other businesses.

I haven't been there since the late 80's, but not much, if anything, has changed. Still isolated, and can't imagine raising a family there.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 15,419 times
Default Bagdad, AZ .. snow?

can anyone tell me if it snows in Bagdad, AZ?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Yes it has snowed quite often in Bagdad.
As some have said, Bagdad is a very small mining community, where the mining company owns and controls nearly everything. You either fit in or you don't. If you like a small knit town where everyone knows everyone and everything about everyone and you like to sit on your porch all day and chat, then it's for you. Otherwise I'd seek a better place to live than Bagdad. There are few, if any, amenities or things to do. TV reception is not the best either as Bagdad is caught between a rock and a hard place. Otherwise it's located down in the mountain valleys.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 17,899 times
Cool Former resident, frequent visitor

Hello,

Bagdad is a very unique community. Most people who live there would never live anywhere else. People frequently move there and find it unbearable. I lived in Bagdad for 12 years and now live in Southern California. The greatest asset to living in Bagdad is the lack of crime and feel of a caring, country community. Housing is extremely affordable, though you cannot purchase a home in city limits and you must rent from CBRE, who manages the entire property.

A great deal of money has recently been put into an aquactic activity center, which I must say outshines anything we have in our current community. It includes a large indoor pool with a huge slide, water canons, an outdoor lap pool, and best of all no lines or crowds. The center houses a brand new preschool and fitness center. What I love about going back to Bagdad is that it is never crowded. Serenity is certainly something that you can find here, along with the peace of mind that your children can walk to school without fear of abduction. People tend to look out for each other. A few years ago during a layoff at the mine, all the residents that were not layed off proceeded to care for the residents who were until they were hired back, the layed off residents were also allowed to stay in their homes rent free until they were hired back. I can't imagine any other place offering the job security that you can find in Bagdad.

Summers are hot and dry. AC is a must, but the homes are pretty well insulated and electric bills don't compare to mine here in Cali. My favorite season is Monsoon, when warm rains come nearly every evening July-August. Fall is wonderful. Mild weather extends into December. Snow is not rare, it snows about once or twice a year, though it can go a couple years without snowing. It does freeze in the winter.

Any real entertainment requires a drive to Prescott, about 70 miles, Kingman, about 100 miles, or possibly Wikenburg for cultural events. Residents generally make a "trip to town" (usually Prescott) once a week or every two weeks for household supplies. Groceries are usually bought at the local grocer, Bashas. Produce, dairy, meat, and such are fresh and well priced, as are dry goods. Toiletries, diapers, and other items will be more expensive.

Education used to be more of a problem. The campus was recently combined and upgraded a great deal, the school is new and much better than many schools you could find in the city. Safety is not a concern.

TV reception is not a problem, as most residents have DirecTV, as with any area if your particular home does not afford a clear view of the southern sky, you won't be able to get satellite reception. You can also access regular cable. New cell towers have recently been added so that residents now have cell phone reception, though service is best through Verizon which most residents have. Many have canceled regular phone service and use cell phones exclusively, so service is very good.

One activity that is popular in Bagdad is golf, there is a golf course that is well kept. Also, remember the fitness center was recently upgraded with a rumored 3 million dollars. It is VERY nice.

If you would like to visit to see the true atmosphere of the community I would recommend visiting during an event, such as the 4th of July. You will see just about everyone who lives there and get a good feel for the community bond. People are generally very friendly if you give them a chance. As long as you are honest and friendly, you should have no trouble making friends.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 14,607 times
Question bagdad

my husband and i have grown up and lived in for most of our lives. but as of right now its not meeting our financial needs. A friend of my husband lives there now and is talking my husband into moving there. he's going there this weekend to check it out. Iam vary optimistic, and would move almost anywhere, i love a change and a chaleng. my husband is a technition and has his degree, i however have not finished school. so i decided to google "bagdad, AZ" to see what i could see... but what i could not see.... is a college... is there one there? ....

college cares.... yumagirl....

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Panoramio - Photo of Bagdad, Arizona, USA
Panoramio - Photo of Burro Creek on South edge of Wilderness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona