Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:43 AM

21 posts, read 98,204 times

Advertisements

Hi. You cannot just up and move to anywhere in the US. You are only allowed 6 months away from Canada then you lose your provincial medical. You must have a green card to work in the US, and not easy to get unless some company sponsers you. Suicide to be in the States without medical coverage, we pay $6.00 per day and think that is cheap. Just check out a visit to a hospital. Do a lot of home work before you jump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM

23 posts, read 91,107 times
Default Try BC first

Before you decide to move from Ontario to the USA, seriously consider BC. Here is my experience. I moved from Toronto, ON to Sacramento, CA on a green card in 1989. I eventually applied for US citizenship so the US considers me a US citizen now, and Canada now considers me a dual citizen.
My main reason for moving back to Canada two years ago, was health ins. costs. As an early retiree with no company retirement benefits I was paying more than 500 USD per month for poor coverage. In BC, I pay the $54 CAD per month to the BC gov't., as everyone here does, and leave my wallet at home when I go to the doctor...no copays or yearly deductables here. No risk that a major illness could wipe me out with the copays. I even get a free yearly physical (which you don't get w/ medicare), and after 65 there is a bi annual free eye test. There is a waiting list for hip replacements, but overall the system works. In my case, it saves me thousands of dollars per year. Even after age 65 the BC health ins. will be much cheaper for me than the US medicare.
The exchange rate at about .875 saves me some money too, so looking ahead to your retirement, consider that the exchange rate may work against any Canadian pensions that you may receive.
Surprisingly, I paid considerably lower income taxes in Canada in 2005 than I had paid in OR in 2004. This fluke was due to Canada allowing "passive" losses on my Portland OR condo rental to offset my other income...something that is not allowed by US tax laws.
One thing that I didn't know when taking out US citizenship is that the US gov't requires it's citizens to file a US income tax return even when living outside of the country. The US is apparently one of only two countries in the world doing this. So when I lived in the US, I only needed to file a US tax return, not a Canadian tax return, but now, living in Canada, I have to file both Canada and US tax returns. This involves the expense of an accountant to work out the tax credits between the two countries (to avoid double taxation). So be aware of this law before turning in a green card for US citizenship.
Another thing that I didn't know was that the US applies a "windfall profit" law to reduce the US social security benifits of immigrants according to their foreign (Canadian) social security pensions (CPP). So if you give up your chance of having a private pension to start over in the US, don't expect to get the full US social security benefit according to their normal schedule for US citizens.
You may also lose part of your Canadian residency pension (OAS) by living in the US.
Be aware that if, like me, you find that you wish to retire in Canada for monetary reasons, that you may live out your retirement days far from your children and grandchildren who have completed their education and built their careers in the US.
Regarding climate, the Okanagan Valley in BC, acts somewhat like the Sacramento Valley in that it results in less rainfall. It also insures milder climate. Snow for a couple of weeks or so is usual, but daily highs, usually above freezing, tend to melt snow off within weeks. So BC can be warmer in winter than many inland states.
Summers are almost too hot in the Okanagan. Hitting the 90's is possible and hiking clubs here tend to shut down for July and half of August. I found the same applied to golf...that some July days are just too hot to play 18 holes. But southern states can be much hotter than that in the summer and air conditioning costs can be very expensive as they were on my large Sacramento home.
As I don't suffer from allergies, I don't know for sure, but suspect that the Ok. valley would have the same inversion and pollen problems that the Sacramento valley is famous for. Perhaps in that case living close to the ocean would be better... Van. Island?
BC is good for outdoor activities and I learned a little golf, X country skiing (mountains nearby), hiking, and swimming (lakes nearby)...very nice.
I would say to try BC first before moving to the US. Consider the greater Vancouver area such as White Rock, Langley, Maple Ridge etc. Also Vancouver Island. Also the Okanagan Valley including Vernon, Kelowna, and Penticton....even Kamloops and Cranbrook.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 21,515 times
We are planning to move either to the Chandler area in Phoenix or Atlanta. Our kids have developed mild allergies recently and we are not sure if moving to Atlanta would be good for their healths. Right now we are in South Florida. Job and study opportunities seem better in both cities. South Florida schools are not good & the area is over priced. So if on were to compare Atlanta & Phoenix, which city is better . Would appreciate any info, especially from someone who has lived in both cities and can make that comparison. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,515 times
Default Phoenix or Atlanta ?

I can totally understand. Our reasons for deciding to move from Chicago were the same. But I may not be able to give you much info, except that Gilbert and Chandler schools are considered good. My children have allergies and we cannot decide if Phoenix would be a better city to move to or Atlanta. I would appreciate any info on the two cities, specially from someone who has lived in both cities and can make the comparison.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,767,938 times
I heard some disturbing news yesterday regarding Chandler. They have a real gang problem brewing with over 5 different gangs involved. I know other cities here have the same issues, but Chandler seemed rather upscale and new to have this develop. There may have been sections we did not tour.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:22 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,114 times
Gangs are everywhere, I have seen no activity where I am in Chandler yet. they are trying to get people involved and help stop the gang activity. there are some in Scottsdale as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona