Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 7,367 times

Advertisements

Yes. I came to Tucson 14 months ago from Rochester, NY, and I cannot tolerate this weather. I'm all for a little sun now and again, but I need some snow and rain. There's no water here! Sand and dust. Brown mountains. Freaking cactus everywhere! It's uncomfortably surreal.

And it's painfully hot.

Some people like it here, but I am not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
Yes. I came to Tucson 14 months ago from Rochester, NY, and I cannot tolerate this weather. I'm all for a little sun now and again, but I need some snow and rain. There's no water here! Sand and dust. Brown mountains. Freaking cactus everywhere! It's uncomfortably surreal.

And it's painfully hot.

I hope you do more research before you move to your next location. Best wishes on your relocation!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I hope you do more research before you move to your next location. Best wishes on your relocation!
Well, I didn't come here to enjoy the scenery, but to accept a job and end my unemployment streak. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it at first, but maybe it would grow on me. Besides, it was a good opportunity to live somewhere different and expand my horizons. Everyone I knew who had come here was quite positive about the place.

Indeed, I ought to weigh the environment higher next time. Oh, well.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 14,884 times
I hate the heat in Phoenix and I regret moving here. That's not the only reason, though. It's hot for 6 months out of the year now. Used to be 3 months. You are a prisoner in your own house. You can't take walks. That drives me nuts. I can walk in the snow on a sunny day. Here it's worse than winter because you are literally trapped inside for half the year. Phoenix is so overrated. Leaving and cannot wait. I love seeing all these people from other areas wring their hands when they see negative things posted about Phoenix because it bursts their bubble of illusion. Cultural wasteland with scam artists, heat, and 6 months of hell.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,734,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
what town in Az do u live in now?
Chandler.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,268,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgirl52 View Post
I hate the heat in Phoenix and I regret moving here. That's not the only reason, though. It's hot for 6 months out of the year now. Used to be 3 months. You are a prisoner in your own house. You can't take walks. That drives me nuts. I can walk in the snow on a sunny day. Here it's worse than winter because you are literally trapped inside for half the year. Phoenix is so overrated. Leaving and cannot wait. I love seeing all these people from other areas wring their hands when they see negative things posted about Phoenix because it bursts their bubble of illusion. Cultural wasteland with scam artists, heat, and 6 months of hell.
LOL someone who hates it more than me.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgirl52 View Post
Uh; trapped inside for 6 months of a year? I'll give you the daytime during the summers, it's nasty but it seems to depend on what part of Phoenix a person lives in. The older areas with "real" trees and sidewalks ain't too bad. The newer places with "desert landscaping" ARE too hot OMHO.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,949,966 times
I moved here from Florida 7 years ago and AZ summers are a walk in the park compared to the sticky,humid, rainy summers of Florida. It would rain for an hour then the sun would come out and turn the town into a steam room.
The tropical storms would knock out power and you would have no a/c.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post

And it's painfully hot.

You're a rarity because you're considered a newcomer, and most newcomers seem to love it here: the heat, the desert landscape, the dryness, you name it. On the other hand, many natives & long termers grow tired of the same kind of weather practically every day: sun, sun, and more sun ... heat, heat, and more heat. (*YAWN*) It's not so bad when you're younger, but it can get to a person after a while, so in a way I can relate to the things you stated.

But even as much as I hate the summers (at least in Phoenix & much of southern AZ), I still consider Arizona my only home. I may leave on extended vacations to coastal California or northern Arizona during the hot months, but I always have a permanent home in Arizona to come back to. One positive thing I will say about Arizona's summers is they are quite variable. In other words, the entire state is not a brown desert with blast furnace heat. The White Mountains in eastern AZ have lush green forests, and are usually 30+ degrees cooler than the desert regions, which is a great escape.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You're a rarity because you're considered a newcomer, and most newcomers seem to love it here: the heat, the desert landscape, the dryness, you name it. On the other hand, many natives & long termers grow tired of the same kind of weather practically every day: sun, sun, and more sun ... heat, heat, and more heat. (*YAWN*) It's not so bad when you're younger, but it can get to a person after a while, so in a way I can relate to the things you stated.

But even as much as I hate the summers (at least in Phoenix & much of southern AZ), I still consider Arizona my only home. I may leave on extended vacations to coastal California or northern Arizona during the hot months, but I always have a permanent home in Arizona to come back to. One positive thing I will say about Arizona's summers is they are quite variable. In other words, the entire state is not a brown desert with blast furnace heat. The White Mountains in eastern AZ have lush green forests, and are usually 30+ degrees cooler than the desert regions, which is a great escape.
I don't mind summer. I just tell myself that this too shall pass and it always does! lol I've lived other places that I didn't love nearly as much so, like you...and being a native helps, I guess...Arizona is my only home. No matter where I've lived, or for how long, I always came home. I ain't leaving again...I'd just come back.

I love the White Mountains...in summer...but wouldn't want to live at that elevation in winter. Payson or Prescott is plenty high enough for me and just next to perfect. Winter and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona