Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

I've recently responded to the Valle thread on the Flag forum and thought it would be interesting to find comparisons and contrasts amongst those familiar with Valle and Ash Fork land. I viewed land in both areas before choosing Valle. Nothing against Ash Fork, as a nature lover, it's a very nice area on the open range. However, I found the views of the SF Peaks with its 30 mile distance to South Rim better for camping purposes. Since both areas are water haul on the open land, that wasn't taken into consideration. Hope to hear perspectives from both Ash Fork and Valle land owners without any flaming here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Valle Pics of my land

http://www.magnum0417.portfoliobox.me/valle-az-pictures

Last edited by magnum0417; 10-26-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 AM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
I would go with Valle.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Gonna play devils advocate and mention one benefit Ash Fork has. Proximity to I 40 and not being blocked from civilization during winter storms being at 5000 feet. Even though Valle gets modest winter snows, one can be stuck there if Williams,Tusayan and Flagstaff all at 7000 feet as opposed to Valle's 6000 feet are getting dumped with heavy snow. Rte 180 and 64 are the only ways to leave Valle and one must travel to higher altitudes in every direction to get to the interstate.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
very pretty

Old 10-29-2013, 06:02 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Ashfork is closer to Civilization, Williams,Flagstaff and Prescott

Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Ashfork is closer to Civilization, Williams,Flagstaff and Prescott
Prescott's shopping, specifically PV along Rte 69 blows Flag away so no arguing that Ash Fork is closer to more shopping amenities. Flag's shopping area consisting of a puny mall and a strip plaza with Best Buy on US 89 leaving a lot to be desired for a city of 70000 people and NAU as well.I like Flag but the shopping stinks for a town of its size IMO.

Ash Fork has more permanent residents than Valle too. Grand Canyon Subdivision is largely raw acres once one gets more than a mile from either Rte 180 or 64.

At this point, I am not looking to make any improvements although I am hearing Coconino is becoming more anal retentive about acceptable alternative septic for expenses if a perc test fails. I love the acreage I have but have my concerns are with the perc test since there's a lot of red clay which suggests that it may fail. I figure costs could be in the high 5 figures to get a modest home and everything else required to pass code when that time comes. Yet, I've seen homes in Valle on the same acreage selling for 50K already turn key. Those homes had less rigid septic guidelines from what I understand and are "grandfathered" if you will.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM

56 posts, read 180,996 times
The things that make Valle unattractive are the roads. Highway 64 is a dangerous place to drive, as is Highway 180. Besides the snow and the tourists (who drive fast and often quite recklessly) you also have elk crossing the road as well as winter snows that close the roads frequently.

Elk related deaths are a problem everywhere here in Northern AZ and it applies to Ash Fork as well.

The snow usually shuts Highways 64 and 180 down several times every winter. The plows can't keep up and the drifts can get quite big. I've seen 7' drifts out there before.

As long as you know its remote (more so than Ash Fork) and that the roads are treacherous, Valle is just as good as any other place.

Just watch out for those tourists. Especially ones from the land of driving on the wrong side of the road. You'll see that happen often when you have headlights coming at you at 80-90mph in your lane at night. Oh and the ones that pass on double yellows at 100mph plus on a curve that goes into a dip. I've seen a few fatal head-ons out there on that curve.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM

56 posts, read 180,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
However, I found the views of the SF Peaks with its 30 mile distance to South Rim better for camping purposes.
There are places in Ash Fork where you can see not only the peaks (except Elden), but Bill Williams and Mingus Mountains as well. Particularly out in West Wood Estates and a few places in Juniperwoods Estates.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjae View Post
The things that make Valle unattractive are the roads. Highway 64 is a dangerous place to drive, as is Highway 180. Besides the snow and the tourists (who drive fast and often quite recklessly) you also have elk crossing the road as well as winter snows that close the roads frequently.

Elk related deaths are a problem everywhere here in Northern AZ and it applies to Ash Fork as well.

The snow usually shuts Highways 64 and 180 down several times every winter. The plows can't keep up and the drifts can get quite big. I've seen 7' drifts out there before.

As long as you know its remote (more so than Ash Fork) and that the roads are treacherous, Valle is just as good as any other place.

Just watch out for those tourists. Especially ones from the land of driving on the wrong side of the road. You'll see that happen often when you have headlights coming at you at 80-90mph in your lane at night. Oh and the ones that pass on double yellows at 100mph plus on a curve that goes into a dip. I've seen a few fatal head-ons out there on that curve.
Rte 180 I agree can be dicey. However, 64 has never been an issue personally with "blindspots." It is mandated from just north of Williams right up to near Valle that all drivers have lights on 24/7 as you know. I personally find Red Butte kind of fascinating to the north which rises above the Coconino Plateau.

Valle is in a "dry spot" if you will. Elevation rises north,south and east. Snow is far less than in Williams and Tusayan yet one no doubt would be stuck if those two towns got hit hard with snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona