Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 PM

15 posts, read 124,646 times

Advertisements

There seem to be a lot of gated communities in Arizona. Would you recommend one of these for retirees? Are these communities considered safer than others? I would worry about restrictions in such places. We enjoy having our grandchildren over to stay with us. Would this be allowed in a gated community? I'm not against them; I just don't have much experience with them. I'm from Western Pa. and the only gated communities we have here are REALLY expensive. I would have to be a millionaire and I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
There are a few separate issues here: HOA communities, gated communities, and age-restricted communities. All three are common, especially in the outlying suburbs of Phoenix.

A homeowner's association (HOA) makes rules governing the residents of the community. Residents agree to abide by those rules at the time of purchasing their houses. HOAs can help maintain home values and protect against blight, but they can also become mini-tyrannies. If you are considering an HOA community, make sure to investigate its rules, governance, and finances carefully before making a commitment. A bad HOA is worse than no HOA at all.

Some HOA communities choose to maintain gates. My view is that unless the gates are staffed by a guard (rare except in very upscale developments), they do little good. Residents have a false sense of security and intruders can easily slip through the gates when they follow a resident in.

As for age-restricted communities, I don't know of any that prohibit visits by grandchildren, but they might limit the duration of those visits (probably a limit in terms of weeks or months, not days). Personally, I don't like the idea of age-restricted communities because I like diversity and multigenerational neighborhoods. Nevertheless, some people find them attractive retirement options.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Gates never keep out any crime and in some cases it may even attract it. Valley crime is located in most every corner of the area – gated or not. Most areas are very safe and there isn’t anything to worry about. I’ve lived in Phoenix for 25+ years and only once did my car get broken into and that was in a large business parking lot with security cameras all over. I’m not in a gated area and I don’t pay HOA fees.

Gated communities do have other special items that are important like a common pool that you don’t have to take care of, a club house for parties and larger gatherings, some have craft shops and there are a few that have workout centers that are equipped.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 21,141 times
Default gated communities

Gated communities are only as safe and secure as the security staff that man the gates. Without a professional security staff the gate is only a slight inconvenience for those that would enter the communitiy and commit crimes of theft or worse. One of the big problems is that people that live in gated communities tend to let their guards down thinking that the gate and the security force will protect them, therefore, making it easier for theives. If you decide to live in a gated community with a security force make sure the security staff is professional and that the security director has the knowledge and skills to develop security and safety programs that actually provide the safety and security that you'll be paying for. Most communities have security staff that are low paid and poorly trained. If you would like more information on how to select a good gated community just email me at stephenbeeler@thefirestonesyndrome.com

Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 PM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
If you're considering a gated community that is staffed be sure to check on the dues. Some of them can be pretty high.

Many of the gated communities around us are not staffed though. For the most part I think those are a royal pain. All you have to do if you don't know the code is follow someone else through.

I know the codes for most of them around me since friends give it to you rather than having you call every time you come over.
IMO using 2007# does not exactly promote a lot of confidence in the overall security of the place... wanna bet next year it will be 2008#

Old 09-29-2007, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 21,141 times
Default Be careful when selecting a gated community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandylw View Post
There seem to be a lot of gated communities in Arizona. Would you recommend one of these for retirees? Are these communities considered safer than others? I would worry about restrictions in such places. We enjoy having our grandchildren over to stay with us. Would this be allowed in a gated community? I'm not against them; I just don't have much experience with them. I'm from Western Pa. and the only gated communities we have here are REALLY expensive. I would have to be a millionaire and I am not.
Sandy,
You're right, there are a HUGE amount of gated communities in Arizona and they mostly offer different amenities. I would strongly suggest a gated community for a retiree because of the added security (if you get a good one) and for many of the safety programs they offer such as on site EMT's, alarm monitoring, security patrol response, housewatch program when your gone, etc. Take a look on the internet under "gated communities in arizona" and it should give you a good list. You can request brochures online too. Never make a decision until you visit the community and read the CC&R's to ensure their restrictions and requirements go along with your life style.
Steve Beeler

Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
The Trilogy in Vistancia is a well maintained gated community and I believe the HOA fees are reasonable for the ammenities you receive. The homes are very well done. Shea Homes is having their end of the year sale and you can find some nicely done homes for quite a discount. The resales are even better, Mid $200's or so. You might also want to check on some of the gated sections in the family development in Vistancia across the road. We have quite a few over 50 folks living on this side of the road. You can go to www.trilogylife.com to see if they post their HOA fees. Best of luck to you

Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Gated Communities - I've never lived in a gated community, but if you want to live in such a community, all I can tell you is, make sure the HOA isn't the type that'll make it feel like you're living in a Prison Community! I've heard enough horror stories about HOAs and to me, I see no sense in paying a lot of your hard earned money for the house, and live in an area that is under somebody else's rules, that are often too restrictive in many aspects.

Personally, I think you'll be better off buying a house in a good non-HOA neighborhood, and getting a monitored security system, if your main concern is safety, it makes a lot more sense and it's a lot less expensive than paying those HOA fees and live under their very restrictive rules and snooping eyes.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Come on, Mike . . .

For every negative concerning a "gated community" . . . there are MANY POSITIVES.

The restrictions imposed by an HOA have nothing to do with the gate but usually they do go hand in hand. Although not perfect, it has been proven that gated communities are safer than the non-gated.

Personally, over the years I have found the owners having the most problems with the rules of an HOA are those who feel they are above any and all rules of life in general. Granted, the rules keep me from painting my home purple but it also keeps my neighbor from having a half dozen non-operating vehicles in front of his home.

Bottom line . . . before making a major purchase such as a home, read and understand ALL of the CC&R's thoroughly. If you feel they are too restrictive . . . DON'T BUY.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandylw View Post
a false sense of security worse than real danger itself. con job. they dont work. compounds dont protect. you gota come out and in em and they tend to build them in marginal areas. also pretty easy to illegally enter.
pick a nice community instead.
i will spare you the recent rosarita beach gated community horror story of friends i knew(now dead and his sister knew them both) they assumed gated meant safe. by the way they were both mexican made no difference.

stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona