Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM

112 posts, read 262,670 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a rim-river-rim hike for May, to take place in one day. We live in Phoenix and intend to stay in Williams (or north, if we can find a place) and begin our hike early in the morning. For anyone who has completed this hike, particularly in one day, I am asking for any tips you may have for us.

We will train by hiking local trails to get our legs/minds in shape. Tho I will do additional research, I know that we will need certain things (several pair of good socks, comfy shoes, lots of water, Aleve, flashlight, camera, plenty of food, etc.). Are there not-so-obvious things we need to bring with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Check out Hiking trail index since 1996! for more tips than what you'll find here.

Couple of things off the top of my head, cut your toenails down to nothing a day or two before your hike (cut really, really short), petroleum jelly for putting on spots that rub and baby wipes. Don't eat a huge meal the day before (from experience all of the hiking jostles your stomach and not in a good way, hence the recommendation for baby wipes).

To really blow your mind, the record for Rim to Rim to Rim was just broken this past summer. Took only 6:21 to run 42 miles from the South Rim to the North Rim and back.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
Early May and late May are two different things. Also I would rather be hiking from north to south. That would be easier. You could easily be leaving the North rim with temps in the mid-50s and find a temp of 103 at the river. Then you have to hike up about a vertical mile. Heat exhaustion could easily set in on the 21 mile hike. I hope you are in your 40s or younger and plan on doing the hike in early May rather than later like Memorial Day7. You will have plent of water since you can fill up at the river. The heat can be the real killer.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 PM

To clarify: rim-river-rim = we will start and end at the South Rim (down South Kaibab, up Bright Angel). Our planned date is May 10; I'm 44 and she is 36. I'm going to be lugging 290 lbs., plus a backpack that'll likely weigh 30 lbs. at the start, so I know I'll have my work cut out for me.

@grmi66 - thanks for the link. I looked around a bit and will certainly be referring to the site for reference as we plan. I appreciate it!

Last edited by 7footer; 12-26-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
have done this or similar many times.....

check on transport over to the South Kaibab Trail...it's a couple or more miles east of the village (where the top of the Bright Angel Trail is)....I think there's a free shuttle, but it may not start early enough for you....no water going down the S Kaibab.....stop in at Phantom Ranch for coffee and a look-around....drink up here, too, for the hike out in the sun...nice trail close to the river for a ways before you start up the BA toward Indian Gardens....plenty of drinking water on the way up the BA (at least three places), but it will be warm in the afternoon as you start up....shade will get better as the afternoon progresses....

honestly, you don't need to go overboard with tons of supplies....carry the basics plus a couple water containers only....drink (and EAT!!!!) at all the drinking water spots, but you probably don't need to carry more than two liters between water spots....steady eating and drinking will help a lot!!.....you don't need "several" pairs of socks....hat with a brim all the way around (not just a baseball-style hat)....dark sunglasses....cotton should be fine in midday if it isn't raining, but bring synthetic for the morning and after dark (if you're still hiking out!)

290 lbs.??...is that your weight?.....a 30 lb. pack is probably too heavy for a dayhike on well-built, popular trails like these.....check on the protocol for when a mule train is encountered....

will think of more later

Old 12-27-2013, 04:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
I suggest Corn Starch for all of those moisture areas and also if you are wearing hiking boots instead of tennis shoes do a search on the different techniques on lacing. As posted keep nails short, the idea here is that going down is just as tough as going up. You feet tend to slide forward in what ever you are wearing then back on way up.
There are a few areas on the south rim coming out that the rangers use for shading up and resting these are not a marked pit stop but something you will look forward to locating. I was surprised by several folks just using sandals and booking right along.
Enjoy the experience

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
For a rim to river and back hike you should be able to get your pack under 20 lbs easily. Since I've moved back to Arizona, have done most of my hiking with a Camelback MULE. So even filled up all the way its about 8 lbs of water, another 1.5 lbs for the weight of the pack and another 5 lbs or so for other supplies puts my pack at around 15 lbs total.

My other word of advice is start cutting weight, if you cut 1.5 lbs a week from now until May that's another 25 pounds you don't need to lug up the trail.

As far as shoes, Merrill Moab Ventilators seem to be the shoe of choice with most of the people I hike with in Arizona.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 AM

@azdr0710 - Yes, 290+ is my body weight. I'm 7' tall, not 5'6", so it's not as bad as one might think. I would love to get down to 280 as I know my knees/ankles/hips will thank me for each pound I can shed. I'm "too skinny" at 270 lb., according to my wife. Lol A 20 lb. pack > 30 lb. pack - hope I can cut it down.

Training and research are going to be the key, and your input so far has been helpful. I expect to find lists of "DOs and DON'Ts" when I 'google' our upcoming trip plans this weekend.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
@azdr0710 - Yes, 290+ is my body weight. I'm 7' tall, not 5'6", so it's not as bad as one might think. I would love to get down to 280 as I know my knees/ankles/hips will thank me for each pound I can shed. I'm "too skinny" at 270 lb., according to my wife. Lol A 20 lb. pack > 30 lb. pack - hope I can cut it down.

Training and research are going to be the key, and your input so far has been helpful. I expect to find lists of "DOs and DON'Ts" when I 'google' our upcoming trip plans this weekend.
Lol, I get the user name now.

You'll really enjoy it! Sounds like it will be well thought out by the time you go.
Backcountry Trail Distances - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7footer View Post
My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a rim-river-rim hike for May, to take place in one day. We live in Phoenix and intend to stay in Williams (or north, if we can find a place) and begin our hike early in the morning. For anyone who has completed this hike, particularly in one day, I am asking for any tips you may have for us.

We will train by hiking local trails to get our legs/minds in shape. Tho I will do additional research, I know that we will need certain things (several pair of good socks, comfy shoes, lots of water, Aleve, flashlight, camera, plenty of food, etc.). Are there not-so-obvious things we need to bring with us?
Trail mix and energy bars, but for a day hike forget the food. Eat a good meal before you go. I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim on my 40th Birthday. We (my brother and I) saw more people abandon food all along the route at each camp spot.

Best to stay in the Canyon Village, not Williams. It doesn't cost any more and will save you a couple of hours of driving, getting into the park, and parking your vehicle.

The temperature at the top will be as much as forty degrees cooler.

Train hiking up step moderately improved trails. You will be surprised on the toll hiking down hill will have on your ankles. Then when you are tired, you get to climb the hill back out.

It sounds like you are going to do the down to the river and back. You will need to be in top condition to do it in a day, although there are some who do it from rim to rim (North to South) in hours. Running.

Water, water, and more water. Stay on the trails. ALWAYS. And don't share your Gorp with the critters, They bite, and it may well kill them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona