Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 46,165 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm currently from Cincinnati, OH. I'm looking to move to the kingman/golden-valley area and was looking for some advise and comments on my questions from some folks that live out there currently.

My reason for moving is plainly because Ohio just sucks, I hate winter, I hate the politics, I hate the rude people, and most of all I hate the city in general. Now, I love the HEAT and the landscape of Arizona. I have visited the area in the Spring so I can't comment on the hot summers, but I'm looking to return in the summer for 2 weeks to see for myself if I can handle the heat or need to look elsewhere.

I'm curious from you guys that live in the area, just how bad is the heat? Last summer the temps got up to 95 degrees here with a humidity level of 45-60% making the temp "real feel" around 110-115. I can handle this but of course the human body can only take so much. I keep hearing the term dry heat thrown around in Arizona, does that mean the humidity stays relatively low or am I misunderstanding the meaning?

To give you more of an idea of my needs, I have a gifted son that will be rolled into K12 home schooling, so the schools mean nothing to me. A 1.5 hour drive for civilization to me is nothing as well. I'm an introvert and don't like being around people as it is. I hate the city life and all the morons around me so I'm looking for a densely populated area. I'm a stay at home dad who is an independent game designer for mobile devices. My work commute means absolutely nothing. I have no desire for a night life, and I could careless about going to the movies because I can't stand the ignorant people who do go the movies and ruin the experience.

Also have to ask, how bad are the meth labs in Golden Valley, every where I research it seems some people have a negative look on the area due to meth heads and drug dealers, is there any truth to this? I've also heard of unfair practices by the police out there. Is that just something criminals complain about? I'm not doing anything illegal and I mind my own business, should I have any fears about being a new resident?

Are there any areas in Golden Valley that have public water access or do you guys have to transport your water to your homes? The people in Kingman were really rude to me when I visited in the spring, they don't seem to have patience or tolerance for outsiders who ask a lot of questions about the area. Can I expect the same in Golden Valley?

Thanks everyone in advanced I'm just really curious and excited to know more about the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,823,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamguy View Post
I could careless about going to the movies because I can't stand the ignorant people who do go the movies and ruin the experience.
[...]
The people in Kingman were really rude to me when I visited in the spring, they don't seem to have patience or tolerance for outsiders who ask a lot of questions about the area.
It sounds like you have a pretty bad attitude about people in general, so that's not surprising. When we moved to Kingman, we found everyone to be friendly and helpful. We left two years ago, but still keep in touch with our friends there.

There are no meth labs in Golden Valley because it's cheaper to import meth from Mexico than to make it any more in AZ due to the restrictions on the raw materials. There are meth users in the area. Golden Valley streets are mostly pretty rural, so your biggest worry would be getting ripped off when you're not home. However, it sounds like you're a homebody, so that may be less of a factor for you. Otherwise, the meth heads probably won't bother you.

There are areas with municipal water in GV.

If I were you, I'd want to live in a more conventional neighborhood with other children for my kid to socialize with. YMMV.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 PM

10 posts, read 44,255 times
I am loooking at the kingman/ golden valley area , relocating from oregon....I am curious if any body has recomendations? I am quickly approaching fifty, single white male, no kids and don't have a ton of money to spend a home....thinking in the 40-50k range. I am a harley owner and love the sun. I have done some research, looks like the kingman area is a better choice, planning to visit the area in late april to check it out. Thanks for any input or recomendations.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,357,219 times
I gotta ask.....not meaning to offend...but what is it about Golden Valley that would make it a destination ? I do understand the attraction of cheap land, but....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 42,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdasun View Post
I am loooking at the kingman/ golden valley area , relocating from oregon....I am curious if any body has recomendations? //Thanks for any input or recomendations.

We moved to AZ. from Oregon in 1997. I currently live in Salome but we plan to move to Golden Valley as soon as we sell our home here because jobs are scarce here without commuting 50+ miles. Also my sons live and work in Kingman so we are moving to live closer to them and my Grand-kids, besides there are jobs where the commute is less than 30 minutes.

We chose Golden Valley because of price and because we like open spaces. If you like the desert and don't have a problem with dust, (and wind) can't hurt to try. You won't ever really know if you will like it or not unless you try. Kingman area is growing. You should be able to find something comfortable in your price range but it would be small. Get in touch with a few Realtors and tell them of your plans. Perhaps rent first, or get an RV and house sit for a year to make sure you can handle the climate before committing to owning a home. That way if you find it isn't for you you don't have to wait for your house to sell to get out.

My husband and I are in our early 50's and don't need a 3 bedroom house anymore so we purchased a 34 ft. 5th wheel RV to live in after we sell the house. We hope to find an acre or so of property where I can keep my horse. We plan to get a lot with power but want to haul water and do research on building a composting toilet. My husband is disabled and I don't make a heck of a lot of money so this is the most affordable way we have found to own our own "home" and enough property to be able to keep our animals and have a garden.

Are you still planning a trip down to check it out this month?

Also you might make contact with clubs in the area that you might want to join when you get moved down there, (Like a motorcycle club for example), network with like minded people who already live there so you can make some friends beforehand, and they can give you first hand advice.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 44,255 times
Thanks for the advice, going to be in the area end of April or first part of May. Thinking Kingman will be a good area to check out. Thanks again azequine

Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Why would you home school a gifted child? Unless you are some kind of genius that seems like a giant disservice to your child. He/she needs to be in a good urban school with top teachers where he/she can interact with other gifted children.

Going to live in Golden Valley, good for you. Buy a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona