Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM

222 posts, read 862,464 times

Advertisements

Roadhouse 66 (1985) with William Dafoe and Judge Reinhold was filmed exclusively
in Kingman according to the film credits. Oatman was included, too.

Was wondering whether, despite the passage of 30 years, The 66 Cafe & Bar
still exists under a different name these days. Looks to be in a rural area back
then. Not sure whether it was in Kingman or elsewhere:

This is the DVD cover:

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
It's highly likely that it may have never existed.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
It's highly likely that it may have never existed.
You could be right as it might have been nothing more than a movie prop. Am
sure the mobile home in background is authentic. Unfortunately, google street
view excludes most of Kingman.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
That's totally real. I mean look at that place, complete with old utility wires and everything. You can't make that up. It seems to me I've seen this place around the small community of Valle Vista, about 10 or 15 miles east of Kingman, before you get to Hackberry. Still standing I'm pretty sure, but out of business.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
I am sure wondering myself, need to take another look at Hackberry general store and see if this would fit without the gas pumps.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
I am sure wondering myself, need to take another look at Hackberry general store and see if this would fit without the gas pumps.
No, I have pictures of the Hackberry store. It's a flat roof, not a gable. I feel like I've seen something like this somewhere near Valle Vista though. It's possible I could have been thinking of this place at the corner of Antares Road. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4186...0Pk3GqX1Uw!2e0

That doesn't look quite right either. Is there another abandoned place that's on the Kingman side of Valle Vista along Rt. 66? Or maybe it's further out toward Seligman. Lot of old structures like this are around.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Well if you are not sure I turn to a friend who just happens to be the Executive Director of Tourism.
Here is his reply

This is heading south-west of Kingman on the way to the old sand dragstrip. The building no longer exists, staff in the Visitor Center did some research on this two or three years ago. You can get there by taking 4th Street South across the tracks, then continue with a slight curve right onto Old trails Road. This image is looking West just a couple hundred feet from the where Old Trails Road breaks off of 4th Street and was Route 66 in the 1920's - 1930's. Here is a Google Maps link: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1842.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
thanks for that research, rambrush....

based on the Executive Director of Tourism's info, I wonder if that building in the google picture with the chocolate-colored roof just west of 3rd St on Old Trails replaced the old building (but obviously not on the exact footprint)...??.....

maybe a local could go out there and try to duplicate the exact angle of that picture??!!

EDIT: just looked at the picture again....I wonder if the old "cafe" is on the EAST side of 3rd and that that is 3rd visible just beyond the cafe and on this side of the further structure, which may have been replaced by the chocolate-colored roof building in later years

I really like research like this

Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I really like research like this
Just now checked in again. If this was in Kingman with the foothills to the south then
the cafe would be located on the east side of road with foothills in background. Seems
to be located in a rural area rather than in town.

The road was level near the cafe then went uphill and curved to the left. Right past the
cafe where road is still level can take a hard right turn onto a westbound street as well
a left turn onto that same street where you see the home behind that cafe.

Meaning, cafe is in northeast corner at west/east road with a southbound road running
uphill and curving to the east.

Notice that the race in movie started right by the Beale Hotel on southbound 4th St just
before the railroad tracks.

One more thing, the cafe had kitchen in back with bar counter and stools overlooking
the kitchen. Booths were located on the right. A pool table or two in middle with just
chairs and tables on the left. Jukebox by the door. Don't know whether that was the
actual cafe interior or a movie set.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM

I won't be able to get down there until possibly Monday as I am up at the other end of town.
So it will be interesting when I can get down and snap a couple of pictures of the area. Meant to also ask a fellow worker as he lives on Hubbs and been there for 50+ years but got busy and never got the chance. He would be another source I could track down.
He at one point advised that between the tracks by Crazy Freds truck stop to the east of the steel plant used to be a ladys of the night establishment but never have gotten that confirmed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona