Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

51,084 posts, read 24,586,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
AZ is ranked 24th but I noticed it's also ranked #1 in the country for growth rate

The Grand Canyon State’s job and economic growth forecasts over the next five years are the best in the U.S
Arizona - Forbes

All I'm saying is not to take just one economic indicator that you happen to like and dwell on that. Look at the big picture and get various viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM

13,996 posts, read 8,156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
All I'm saying is not to take just one economic indicator that you happen to like and dwell on that. Look at the big picture and get various viewpoints.

I am looking at the big picture and if some folks don't want to move here because they feel the state is too conservative or not in tune with their values fine.

I am much more concerned with economic growth esp. within the Phx metro.

Population growth through 2017 is expected to be the second fastest in the country. People gravitate towards Arizona for its warm weather and business-friendly climate.
http://www.forbes.com/places/az/

Old 03-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I am looking at the big picture and if some folks don't want to move here because they feel the state is too conservative or not in tune with their values fine.

I am much more concerned with economic growth esp. within the Phx metro.

Population growth through 2017 is expected to be the second fastest in the country. People gravitate towards Arizona for its warm weather and business-friendly climate.
Arizona - Forbes
Funny how you just ignored the box in the upper right:

Forbes Lists

#24 Best States for Business

You're seeing only what you want to see. Not the big picture.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,576,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You had 4 CEO's who gave a damn about the recent controversy and I doubt they were they were the only ones. These people dont exist in a vacuum. They have families. They care where there kids go to school. They care about what type of community they will be living in. When all else is equal, they do care about the intagibles. Austin, Las Vegas, Dallas, Raleigh, Tampa and Orlando offer inexpensive housing as well. We are not the only state that offers sunshine and cheap housing. Social issues matter. It's sad that even after this controversy, some people in this state still don't get it. The legislators thought the way you did but they had a reality check.
It made the news out here in LA more than just the usual chuckle of "look what Arizona did this week." I vacation to Arizona several times a year and it's sad that it has become the Chick-fil-a of states. I've found myself in recent weeks telling people, "no, it's really not that hateful of a place." There's a difference between a state that is viewed as tough on crime, independent, libertarian, conservative; and a state that is viewed as discriminatory.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM

784 posts, read 926,292 times
I usually spend 1 day a week in Chicago and have made many trips to Detroit the last couple of years.....I can say without hesitation that both are in utter ruin....oh and we may as well as throw California into the mess....how many cities have filed for bankruptcy and how many are on the edge of it.....they are financially worse off today than they were before..regardless of what Jerry is saying.

Their infastructure is broken, their education system is broke, both are essentially bankrupt...crime is rampant and people and business's are fleeing the cities....and on top of all that their weather stinks.....what would you call it???

It is always a relief when we get out to our place in Arizona....next visit is the end of the month..can't wait...been a brutal winter...more below zero days this week again....can't take much more global warming....lol

Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Chicago:

Economy of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Economy | World Business Chicago | Economic Development, Chicago, Illinois

I suppose someday Phoenix will catch up to Chicago.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,956,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Two responses to my one post, huh? Must have really gotten to you. This thread is not about Detroit. The fact is, no company is going to move to an area in which they will have to drag highly educated employees to kicking and screaming because of a culture clash. Apple, Google and the likes have employees from top universities who's views typically don't align with the redneck, bigoted or "socially conservative" views that so many fiscal-conservatives hypocritically advocate. Many of AZ's policies that make us unattractive for the above reason are driven by legislated religion. There are numerous studies that indicate the more educated one is, the less likely they are to be overtly religious. That culture needs to disappear if we want to be anything more than a low-wage call center hub.

Quote:
I haven't been out here that long, but I haven't regretted my move away from MI once. I've said it before but moving here was the best decision I've ever made. I love it here and I love living in Scottsdale specifically. Sure there are some things I miss about MI (believe it or not), but nothing that comes close to outweighing my love for life here.
DetroitN8V In a previous post you seemed to love it here (see above) now you seem to want to change our beautiful state. If you love it here what makes you think others will not love this state just the way it is now. As it stands now we are 2nd in job growth with a republican house, senate and governor so maybe the politics of our state is attracting companies not repelling them.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,041,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Oh yes..the streets are deserted and planes are landing at Sky Harbour with empty seats...

Don't kid yourself.

The day I can get on a plane back to PHX and there is a single empty seat I'll let you know
You can have ours, we just cancelled our trip to watch Spring training due to the uncertainty with the recent legislation. Glad it all worked out. Behave and we will be back next year Arizona.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM

13,996 posts, read 8,156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Funny how you just ignored the box in the upper right:

Forbes Lists

#24 Best States for Business

You're seeing only what you want to see. Not the big picture.

Growth prospect is the big picture and why the state is ranked #24 overall in the country.

Here's the complete profile:

Though hammered during the recession, Arizona’s outlook is strong. The Grand Canyon State’s job and economic growth forecasts over the next five years are the best in the U.S . Population growth through 2017 is expected to be the second fastest in the country. People gravitate towards Arizona for its warm weather and business-friendly climate.

Last edited by john3232; 03-02-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 PM

10,771 posts, read 23,907,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
DetroitN8V In a previous post you seemed to love it here (see above) now you seem to want to change our beautiful state. If you love it here what makes you think others will not love this state just the way it is now. As it stands now we are 2nd in job growth with a republican house, senate and governor so maybe the politics of our state is attracting companies not repelling them.
From a fiscal and business perspective that may be true, but SB 1062 was an obvious lesson on where to draw certain lines. People whether native, transplant, or generational are always going to push for change no matter what as time marches on. Some will keep up and some will get left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona