Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times

Advertisements

azriverfan for president! Finally someone that gets it. This backwoods, bigoted mentality will never equal progress for Arizona. Highly educated, high income people won't want to move here until we change and until we do, the state will remain stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 PM

107 posts, read 202,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
azriverfan for president! Finally someone that gets it. This backwoods, bigoted mentality will never equal progress for Arizona. Highly educated, high income people won't want to move here until we change and until we do, the state will remain stagnant.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Good point.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Quote:
$55k in household income with two kids sounds pretty painful. Even here in AZ.
It goes a hell of a lot farther than in Cal. that's for sure!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
They'll go here the jobs are and if the high tech industry continues growing here so will the incomes. I've got a renter in my Chandler home works in the IT field earning $70 grand a year.

And while I am glad the controversy bill was vetoed I doubt the media uproar will have much affect on businesses considering a move here.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,326,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
lol

You are speaking to the choir buddy...an ex-Calgarian..lived there for 12 years. I know what makes them tick.

Have fun removing your foot from your mouth....

I'm sure plenty of organizations made threats to move. Talk is cheap actions are expensive.
Yeah talk is so cheap that the NFL cancelled Arizona's first Superbowl based on their failure to observe MLK day. Here is another fact for you, the Hispanic attorney group cancelled their national convention. They didn't threaten to cancel it, they just cancelled. I guess you missed these relevant facts prior to coming to your opinion. How is your foot tasting. Would you like some siracha with that?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
They'll go here the jobs are and if the high tech industry continues growing here so will the incomes. I've got a renter in my Chandler home works in the IT field earning $70 grand a year.

And while I am glad the controversy bill was vetoed I doubt the media uproar will have much affect on businesses considering a move here.
Did you guys miss the part where the Greater Phoenix Economic Council stated 4 companies threatened to eliminate Arizona as a suitor if the bill wasn't vetoed? Do you really think they were just bluffing?

Yeah, they'll go here if the jobs are here. Except you are missing one vital point to your argument, they are not going to bring jobs here if our environment continues to demonstrate intolerance.

Do you really think Arizona is the only state that offers financial incentives to lure companies here? You guys are under the illusion that AZ is the only state that just dangles a carrot and off they come. These companies are courted by multiple states. And many of these states offer the same attributes we have like Texas, Nevada and Florida. These companies can go anywhere. So when you are competing with other states who have the same aspirations as your state, you have to do everything you can to make your state as attractive as it can be. The last thing you want to do is advertise that we are intolerant.

And have you guys ever been to Silicon Valley. Have you ever been inside one of those companies? Do you really think the people who run those are companies are good ole boys who don't care about civil liberties and civil rights? Where do you think these guys went to school? Do you really think gay individuals don't work for those companies?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,652 times
Outside of America Arizona only appears in the news when a politician is shot or Sheriff Joe does something stupid. When the news that an American state, in the land of the free, had put forward legislation that in effect legalised discrimination and blatant bigotry, well it seems the whole world took notice of Arizona for all the wrong reasons.

I know that the bill has been vetoed by Brewer, but the fact that such a law was countenanced in the first place tells me that there are big problems in Arizona. azriverfan is correct when he says that a lot of companies wouldn't touch Arizona with a barge pole. He was also right when he said that Arizona will be seen as intolerant, because after this debacle I don't think that there is any doubt that he's right.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And have you guys ever been to Silicon Valley. Have you ever been inside one of those companies? Do you really think the people who run those are companies are good ole boys who don't care about civil liberties and civil rights?
They will go to where they feel they can earn the most profit and weigh the pros/cons of AZ against other states.

Imo, the cost of housing in the Phx metro for example is a major selling point and behind closed doors I doubt many CEOs give a damn about the recent controversy.

Last edited by john3232; 03-02-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
They will go to where they feel they can earn to most profit and weigh the pros/cons of AZ against other states.

Imo, the cost of house in the Phx metro for example is a major selling point and behind closed doors I doubt many CEOs give a damn about the recent controversy.
You had 4 CEO's who gave a damn about the recent controversy and I doubt they were they were the only ones. These people dont exist in a vacuum. They have families. They care where there kids go to school. They care about what type of community they will be living in. When all else is equal, they do care about the intagibles. Austin, Las Vegas, Dallas, Raleigh, Tampa and Orlando offer inexpensive housing as well. We are not the only state that offers sunshine and cheap housing. Social issues matter. It's sad that even after this controversy, some people in this state still don't get it. The legislators thought the way you did but they had a reality check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona