Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,784 times

Advertisements

There's a big dairy(?) farm west of Buckeye, nearby, but not visible from I-10, where they dump cows and calves out in the desert. I call it the boneyard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Seriously?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
There's a big dairy(?) farm west of Buckeye, nearby, but not visible from I-10, where they dump cows and calves out in the desert. I call it the boneyard.
If you have to put it somewhere, Buckeye is the place to do it.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
What does anyone seriously think happens to down dairy cattle and excess bull calves? Those that aren't made into your kids' school lunches end up in places like the one pictured above or at rendering plants that turn them into useful byproducts like bonemeal and yes, Jello. Sadly, due to the encroachment of housing developments, rendering plants are closed down due to complaints.

We want cheap milk that doesn't spoil and plastic wrapped "beef" at bargain basement prices, but we sure don't want to be confronted with the process.
eeeeeewwwww......

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
Jello is made of pigs. The underbelly, and there are no pig farms in AZ
Dairy's don't smell because the dry air. The cow poops, and it dries up fast. I worked for coast grain on 75th ave, it is gone now, and delivered to dairies.
Farmers do not let anything go to waste, and that picture sure is something I have never seen. Could you give an location, adress?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Sorry, guy. That was me. I had my windows rolled down, back from El Chaparrito. Otherwise I would have killed myself.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Farmers do not let anything go to waste, and that picture sure is something I have never seen. Could you give an location, adress?
As you wish...
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4272.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Is that even legal? Just dumping dead cows to rot on their property? Wonder why they have that many dead cows to begin with. All unwanted bull calves? That's crazy.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
It's amazing how many people think the shrink wrapped meat in the grocery store came out of the cow like that and are so in denial about the ugly stuff that had to happen so they could put that steak on the grill or that gallon of milk in the refrigerator. There are not cemeteries for dead domestic farm animals, where did you think the millions of dead animals and their remains end up?

They die from disease, old age, injury, etc., There is not a lot of need for bulls on a dairy farm and dairy cattle are not the same as the cattle you get beef from (that you buy in the grocery store) so I'm sure a lot of them are purged from the herd after birth to avoid the cost of feeding them and room needed to raise them.

You want to see a lot of dead animals, visit a egg farm someday and see the thousands of dead chickens that are pulled from the laying boxes every day.

There is definitely a smell from these farms but not one that would follow you for 150 miles.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It's amazing how many people think the shrink wrapped meat in the grocery store came out of the cow like that and are so in denial about the ugly stuff that had to happen so they could put that steak on the grill or that gallon of milk in the refrigerator. There are not cemeteries for dead domestic farm animals, where did you think the millions of dead animals and their remains end up?

They die from disease, old age, injury, etc., There is not a lot of need for bulls on a dairy farm and dairy cattle are not the same as the cattle you get beef from (that you buy in the grocery store) so I'm sure a lot of them are purged from the herd after birth to avoid the cost of feeding them and room needed to raise them.

You want to see a lot of dead animals, visit a egg farm someday and see the thousands of dead chickens that are pulled from the laying boxes every day.

There is definitely a smell from these farms but not one that would follow you for 150 miles.
I know full well about the unpleasantries associated with livestock production. Cow cemeteries?! No one even remotely eluded to that.

Given the fact that this property has neighbors within close proximity and the run-off implications of having dead animals rotting into the ground, I find it hard to believe that that's within the law for animal disposal. The satellite images shows several carcasses left there uncovered. Something's not right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona