Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 AM

639 posts, read 971,242 times

Advertisements

Yes we can use the pool. I'd rather have the sunlight in the evening. There's no need for it to be up at 4AM as previously stated. Having sunlight later in the evening is preferable, when you can actually enjoy it and it isn't as hot. 4AM doesn't help anyone. It's nuts that everyone else changes and we don't. It throws off quite a bit for business purposes as well, which is more important. Check with the people who work in call centers here for example - their workday changes twice a year because they have to be available for the times of the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
Yes we can use the pool. I'd rather have the sunlight in the evening. There's no need for it to be up at 4AM as previously stated. Having sunlight later in the evening is preferable, when you can actually enjoy it and it isn't as hot. 4AM doesn't help anyone. It's nuts that everyone else changes and we don't. It throws off quite a bit for business purposes as well, which is more important. Check with the people who work in call centers here for example - their workday changes twice a year because they have to be available for the times of the rest of the country.
I don't understand that at all...if you spring forward an hour it is going to now be "as hot" at 6 pm as it used to be at 5pm, so you've drug the "as hot" out longer. The only time it somewhat cools down here in the summer is when the sun goes down and I'm all for that being an hour earlier. Making it lighter for longer in the evenings won't get you "isn't as hot" as you're thinking it does. The sun going down is the only thing here that will make it not as hot.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
I've read multiple excuses on why Arizona doesn't participate in daylight savings time when every other in the lower 48 do. None of them hold any water. Farmers don't need the sun to come up at 4:45 AM, coming up at 5:45 would be just fine. If anything not being on daylight savings time causes

1. Some people's circadian rythms to be messed up, it's not natural for the sun to come up at 4:45 AM when we should be sleeping till like 7:30-9:00 depending on your work schedule.

2. Confusion for other places in the country/world what time zone we are in.

3. Less time for kids to have daylight to play outside and for others that work outside have to quit an hour early.

4. Everyone in the state turning their lights on an hour early, wasted energy.

5. Harder to talk to our relatives out east because we are 3 hours behind the east instead of 2 like we should be.

It's just not necessary to try and be different. I can't believe the Federal Government allows ONE state to do this for no reason at all.
Arizona and Hawaii are the only two states that don't observe DST. Indiana didn't either until 2005. I've never understood the need for it but you live with it. At least I don't have to reset my clocks twice a year.

I've never understood how one hour can mess a person up so badly. And I do hear that from some. It's never bothered me one way or another.

Kids don't need to be playing outside late anyway. It gets dark here around 8 PM during the summer and that's plenty late for kids to be out playing.

I doubt that one hour of indoor lights is going to break anyone...but then, maybe.

Try living in Alaska and being on DST. LOL I always thought that was kind of silly till I realized they had to do it to stay in sync with businesses, etc. in the Lower 48. It still seems funny though.

Good thing...my son is now on the same time as I am. Bad thing...part of my family is now 2 hours ahead of me and I'm always calling at the wrong time! lol I'll get used to it...

Back in the early 60s I lived in Oregon and they were 'up in the air' about DST. What happened was that some towns/cities accepted it and some didn't. Two towns, right next to each other, would be an hour different in time. My grandfather in law hated it and told anyone he made appointments with that they better make them on HIS time! lol

Old 04-25-2014, 12:14 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Some peoples circadian rythems get screwed up by changing it. I'm glad I don't have to adjust anymore. I never completely adjusted and for half the year I was miserable.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
the phrase 'excuses for daylight savings time' sounds rediculous. The whole thought of this yearly time change is archaic. We all dont live in small villages, bottle milk, and plow the fields all day anymore.
Exactly. Pick a time and stick with it. I can't image there's any net "savings", in an economic sense, from disrupting the time twice a year.

hikernut

Old 04-25-2014, 01:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
I've read multiple excuses on why Arizona doesn't participate in daylight savings time when every other in the lower 48 do. None of them hold any water. Farmers don't need the sun to come up at 4:45 AM, coming up at 5:45 would be just fine. If anything not being on daylight savings time causes

1. Some people's circadian rythms to be messed up, it's not natural for the sun to come up at 4:45 AM when we should be sleeping till like 7:30-9:00 depending on your work schedule.

3. Less time for kids to have daylight to play outside and for others that work outside have to quit an hour early.

5. Harder to talk to our relatives out east because we are 3 hours behind the east instead of 2 like we should be.

It's just not necessary to try and be different. I can't believe the Federal Government allows ONE state to do this for no reason at all.

1: I don't know to many people who sleep until 9:00 on a weekday,7:30 for that matter!

2: That's their problem if they can't add/subtract an hr.

3: I grew up on the east coast and it got dark at 4:30 because of dst,it never stopped us from playing

4: It balances out by not having to turn them on an hr early in the mornings

5: Not everyone has relatives on the east coast they care to talk to

The Federal Government has more important things to worry about than Az. dst. Besides,why would you move here if that bothers you so much?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 17,405 times
Quote:
I've read multiple excuses on why Arizona doesn't participate in daylight savings time when every other in the lower 48 do. None of them hold any water. Farmers don't need the sun to come up at 4:45 AM, coming up at 5:45 would be just fine. If anything not being on daylight savings time causes. In the 8 months of DLS, how many days is sunrise really at 4:45??? Answer ZERO
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

1. Some people's circadian rythms to be messed up, it's not natural for the sun to come up at 4:45 AM when we should be sleeping till like 7:30-9:00 depending on your work schedule. You must either be a teenager or unemployed if you think it normal for people sleep till 7:30-9:00 on a daily basis. You say it is "not natural for the sun to come up 4:45" Whether you believe in Darwinism or Creationism, that is the "natural" order of things. DST is a man made aberration to the natural order.

Sorry life is so challenging for you.

3. Less time for kids to have daylight to play outside and for others that work outside have to quit an hour early. Perhaps you should get up at 5 am someday and see how many people in AZ are outside actually doing things instead of sleeping! Hiking, biking, horseback riding, walking, WORKING (roofers, construction trades etc.)

Everyone in the state turns their lights OFF an hour early in the morning, SAVING energy.

5. Harder to talk to our relatives out east because we are 3 hours behind the east instead of 2 like we should be. There's an APP for that if you really can't figure it out.

You must be a liberal/progressive type person if you think the federal government should intervene to make it easier for you tell time.

I trust you would find the Pacific Time Zone just as challenging?

Last edited by bbby; 04-25-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,361 times
This is a simply ridiculous thread....

The LONGEST day of the year this year in AZ is June 20th. We will observe 14hr and 22min of daylight. The sunrise is at 5:19 and sunset is at 7:41. I don't understand the issue? and MAYBE if other states did NOT observe DST then, your oh so dear east coast friends wouldn't be 3 hours ahead. I really don't know anyone that enjoys changing their clocks twice a year.

I'd prefer not to try and put my kids to bed in the summer time and the sun still shining in their bedroom window at 9pm. There's more to sunrise and sunset than DST, there is also the relation of seasons and latitude (where we are located) move up north and watch your winters get even shorter and your summers even longer if that's what floats your boat.

For example...740 is SO early for the sun to go down, and you reference the east coast however in Miami on their longest day the sun will set a WHOPPING 35 min LATER than us O.o Las Vegas is on PST currently and their sunset will be at 8:00pm Roswell NM is an hour ahead, like you are suggesting we should do, yet their sunset will be at 8:11pm. New York City will rise SIX whole minutes after us in relation to their time. their sunset will be 50 minutes later, but that is due to again LATITUDE not DST...they don't rise later than we do in summer.

Now if you head NORTH on June 20th to say....Seattle...Sunrise will be BEFORE us at 5:11 and sunset still AFTER us at 9:11. 16 hours of daylight, and its not because of DST

You also suggest noone NEEDS to get up at 4am?

Well, I suppose the thousands of thousands of people in this state who are employed in a labor type industry and work outside would disagree with you.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
DST is a proven killer. It creates more deadly and otherwise accidents the work day following DST change in spring. Why risk people's lives so the sun goes up and down differently summer from winter? The stock market is worse off that day too. It's just an overall misery. Why would you want to do this to anyone? - What a nonsense.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 PM

201 posts, read 611,359 times
Some of the times quoted in this thread compel me to ask do these people live here. 0445 sunrise in the original post, same poster it's 0430 in post #12. Another poster believes sunrise is at 0400.

The facts are that our earliest sunrise takes place at 0517 on 6/20. OP further states that 0545 is acceptable, well then be a little patient because that occurs on 08/08. Yes, August 8th, we'll assume all is well after that date.

AZ should not change just because the rest of nation has it wrong. We have it correct. DST exists because of the energy lobby and who'd a thunk it, the golf lobby. More driving and more tee times is why the sheeple nation puts up with this twice yearly nonsense.

There are far more legitimate reasons for doing away with it as cited in this piece.Time to Move On? The Case Against Daylight Saving Time

DST going away is a far more likely event to occur than AZ ever adopting it.

Mountain Standard Time, year round, love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona