Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,761 times

Advertisements

I was in a bad car accident, not involving anyone else, and was impaired at the time. I was in the hospital for a few days so I was never formally charged. This was 5 months ago. They have sent a letter stating I have a misdemeanor warrant put out for my arrest for DUI charges and have a requested bail amount to pay. I'm not sure what to do now. I thought the whole thing went away but eventually knew something would come up. I live in SC now with my girlfriend and really don't want to go back to AZ. Is something that can be handled from out of state? Or any other suggestions would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM

2,895 posts, read 4,578,553 times
try contacting the court, they can give you a better idea of how to handle it

Maricopa County Justice Courts

Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,499,921 times
Both AZ and SC are in the Interstate Drivers compact which means that a DUI in AZ will likely get your license suspended in SC. If you fail to appear for your court date, you will have a warrant issued for your arrest on that too. It gets deeper and deeper. It's not going to go away by itself.

I know that they do let people who are from out of state do their jail time in their home state. I have a relative who did that after getting a DUI here. He plead guilty in the mail, paid his fine, and did his time in another state. Also had his license suspended in that state for a while too. Like the poster above said, call the court.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,014,794 times
From scanning through this site below, one person posed the question, Dui, left the state of nebraska, warrant out for arrest. The lawyer that answered said the person would have to return to the state to get the warrant cancelled. But as the other poster said, call the court and check with legal aid for help or a lawyer recommendation. You don't want a dummy that will just take your money and there are plenty of that type around. Good luck.

DUI / DWI Questions & Answers :: Justia Legal Answers

Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,760,222 times
Lawyer up. The only thing more expensive & time consuming than hiring a lawyer, is what happens if you don't hire a lawyer.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 PM

7,649 posts, read 9,999,455 times
^^^ What he said.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,761,967 times
I hate to say it, but you probably should get a lawyer. My brother is currently going through this right now. He had to come back to Arizona from Massachusetts to appear in court. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:46 AM

768 posts, read 1,765,906 times
Please contact a lawyer - Arizona laws "can" be quite different than other states. You will be at a huge disadvantage that could have a negative impact on your driving record, employment possibilities, insurance premiums, etc.

Don't underestimate the arm of the law. I forgot to pay a parking ticket in Chapel Hill, NC - four years later, a sheriff deputy showed up at 6AM on a Sunday morning with a warrant for my arrest. This was a $15 parking ticket - I lived five hours away.

Do the right thing

Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,039,563 times
Get a lawyer and get it cleared up. This could even have dire affects on employment opportunity. I work for a company that does background checks and they recently turned a guy down because he had an open warrant for traffic tickets in Florida.

Less online forum, more lawyer.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM
VJP

723 posts, read 1,736,971 times
What everyone else said. A lawyer can get a warrant quashed and you can begin normal proceedings. There'll be an arraignment (which is what the bond amount is for), then a pre-trial conference. There may be one more court date after that. A lawyer in AZ can handle everything for you and lets face it, if you were impaired you're going to have to plead guilty. A blood test result is all that's needed to prove you operated while impaired within 2 hours. There is minimum mandatory jail time for DUI too in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: