Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,385 times

Advertisements

Well actually they kept intact a lower court ruling that it violates due-process rights by imposing punishment before trial. The panel also said the law was a "scattershot attempt" at confronting people who flee from authorities, and that there was no evidence the law dealt with a particularly critical problem. That's the end of it.
How much did we actually spend in lawyer fees etc. to defend the proposition? - Ouch, what a waste of taxpayer money.

http://news.yahoo.com/court-wont-ove...212255085.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Well actually they kept intact a lower court ruling that it violates due-process rights by imposing punishment before trial. The panel also said the law was a "scattershot attempt" at confronting people who flee from authorities, and that there was no evidence the law dealt with a particularly critical problem. That's the end of it.
How much did we actually spend in lawyer fees etc. to defend the proposition? - Ouch, what a waste of taxpayer money.

Court won't overturn ruling on Arizona no-bail law
I really don't agree with the "immigrant" label for those who snuck across the border (or overstayed a visa) - having gone through the immigration / citizenship "wringer" with my wife (legally), the idea that someone can sneak into the country, then live & work here without repercussions is offensive. To get a "green card" for my wife (a Canadian) , I had to personally pledge to pay back every nickel of public assistance she might possibly draw in the following ten years. We filled out reams of paperwork, jumped through countless hoops & payed thousands in legal fees. She wasn't *allowed* to visit her family for christmas one year, because she didn't have "permission" to leave the country. An American sneaking into Canada or Mexico (or any other civilized country in the world) would be quickly jailed & deported, without any fanfare or "politically correct" terminology being used for their actions.

As for it not being a "particularly critical" problem, I guess it depends on who you ask. One local hospital shut down their maternity ward entirely because they lost too much money caring for "immigrants".. so now "citizens" have one less choice of where to have their babies. That kinda seems like a big deal to me.

If we can put a man on the moon, treat Ebola in Africa & fight a two-front war against "terrorism", we can (and should) certainly deport those who violate our borders & ignore our immigration laws. Any "amnesty" bill needs to include reparations for the fees & costs paid by those of us who did things legally.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I really don't agree with the "immigrant" label for those who snuck across the border (or overstayed a visa) - having gone through the immigration / citizenship "wringer" with my wife (legally), the idea that someone can sneak into the country, then live & work here without repercussions is offensive. To get a "green card" for my wife (a Canadian) , I had to personally pledge to pay back every nickel of public assistance she might possibly draw in the following ten years. We filled out reams of paperwork, jumped through countless hoops & payed thousands in legal fees. She wasn't *allowed* to visit her family for christmas one year, because she didn't have "permission" to leave the country. An American sneaking into Canada or Mexico (or any other civilized country in the world) would be quickly jailed & deported, without any fanfare or "politically correct" terminology being used for their actions.

As for it not being a "particularly critical" problem, I guess it depends on who you ask. One local hospital shut down their maternity ward entirely because they lost too much money caring for "immigrants".. so now "citizens" have one less choice of where to have their babies. That kinda seems like a big deal to me.

If we can put a man on the moon, treat Ebola in Africa & fight a two-front war against "terrorism", we can (and should) certainly deport those who violate our borders & ignore our immigration laws. Any "amnesty" bill needs to include reparations for the fees & costs paid by those of us who did things legally.
Kudos to your wife for doing it the legal/proper way.

I agree with you on the offensive term. Very unfair to your wife who played by the rules and took all the effort to become a legal citizen while others don't with no repercussions. What a kick in the gut.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Kudos to your wife for doing it the legal/proper way.

I agree with you on the offensive term. Very unfair to your wife who played by the rules and took all the effort to become a legal citizen while others don't with no repercussions. What a kick in the gut.
Agreed. Calling an illegal alien an "immigrant" IS def an insult to those people, even Mexicans, who followed OUR rules to come to the US.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Calling an illegal alien an "immigrant" IS def an insult to those people, even Mexicans, who followed OUR rules to come to the US.
EVEN Mexicans? WTF? As if Mexican immigrants are somehow lesser than immigrants from other countries?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:39 PM

610 posts, read 698,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
EVEN Mexicans? WTF? As if Mexican immigrants are somehow lesser than immigrants from other countries?
The whole "illegal immigrant" debate is really just an illegal Mexican and Central American one. Nobody's mad about the illegal Jamaicans in South Florida, of which there may be almost 250,000.

The idea that the whole world has jumped behind this border controls madness is senseless in my opinion. As long as you weren't Chinese, French, didn't have TB and weren't caught in the commission of a crime, you were welcome in the U.S. before the progressives decided to be protectionists in the 1910's. Since then, EVERYONE's jumped on board and gotten behind the government position, which is one of two things:

Democrat: Let them in, and give them welfare.

Republican: Big government (welfare state) is a problem, so let's solve it by making the government (border patrol) bigger.

It's ****ing madness and nobody seems to recognize.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Did I say that Mexicans who came here LEGALLY are lower than other legal aliens? I'm of Irish family and I prefer legal aliens from LatAm than illegal aliens from Ireland. The reason I said "Mexican" is because many people mix up the legal ones with the illegal kind so I was trying to stick up for the legals. Sheesh!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Quote:

- Wow, that sounds too hard on people.

Maybe there should be a change.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
My English hubby came over on K1 visa... man oh man! What an ordeal! I hear ya!

The funniest thing looking back (this is 15 years ago) was how he had to get a chest X-Ray and bring it with him! lol! Now I want those illegal aliens to have their chest X-rays in hand ready for inspection please!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
A lot of people don't realize that some Mexicans do come over legally.
You can stop clutching your pearls now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona