Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 42,237 times

Advertisements

Another concern about moving to the Benson or Sierra Vista areas:
We need to be away from smoke from any controlled burns because of health issues. Can anyone let me know if smoke any time of the year is a problem in SV or Benson? If so, which areas in both towns have the least smoke to put up with and are best for house searching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,513 times
As far as I know there is no controlled burning around that area. That is mostly done in forests that are too protected. Fire keeps an area clean.
And where they do this, it is not a weekly thing... Maybe once every 10 years is my guess.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,100,807 times
if you're talking about controlled burns on forest lands, corydon is right....

but if you're talking about neighbors burning trash or similar, can't really predict that, but it might occasionally happen...if that's going to be a concern

Sierra Vista is next to the Huachuca Mountains, which have occasional natural fires and almost no controlled burns....if a controlled burn is planned, it will be well-publicized beforehand

Old 01-01-2015, 08:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,397,491 times
Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of controlled burns anywhere near Benson or SV.

Ken

Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 42,237 times
Thanks much for everyone's comments.

For more clarification: My husband and I currently reside in Concho, a NE AZ rural town where one would expect fresh air most of the time (except winter of course when people use their wood stoves). We moved a few miles from town with no close neighbors to avoid breathing people's wood stove smoke. This was a little over a year ago when we had to move from another crazy controlled burn area (Dewey).

Once again we're planning on moving! This is because the White Mtns. approx. 30 miles away have prescribed burns so often during the fall and sometimes other seasons depending on weather and wind conditions. Where we live is in a big valley where smoke congregates from these fires, yes, even from that far away. I have terrible allergies and also feel like I'm developing asthma after breathing smoke so often!

I originally came from So. Calif. where smog was a problem. I was thinking ... Arizona, no problem, they have fresh air! Boy, was I wrong! This whole state seems to go nuts over preventative burns to help save their forests - which of course I understand, but what about their citizens' health?? Does Arizona care about that at all??

Anyway, that's why I need to be extremely careful about choosing the next place we live and its air quality. We're TIRED of moving, needless to say! We love Arizona for all the cool scenery, nature, and especially enjoying our rockhounding hobby, so we'd love to stay - just need to have some kind of assurance about mainly the ROUTINE controlled burns that create lingering smoke over Sierra Vista (or Benson if we move there) for a significant amount of time.

The forest burns around there - do they cause this hovering smoke I should be concerned about if moving to Sierra Vista or Benson, or does it dissipate pretty quickly?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,513 times
There is no forest in SV or Benson, so, wish you the best.
Oh, and lot's a rocks.....

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,929,266 times
Sierra Vista Planning Controlled Burns East of City
Story by Zachary Ziegler
January 2, 2015
https://news.azpm.org/p/nat-enviro-n...-east-of-city/

Quote:
Smoke may be visible just to the east of Sierra Vista throughout January.

Controlled burns will be taking place in the city's Environmental Operations Park, between Sierra Vista and the San Pedro River, north of State Route 90.

Burns will take place on weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and noon starting Jan. 2 and running through the rest of the month.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,397,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sierra Vista Planning Controlled Burns East of City
Story by Zachary Ziegler
January 2, 2015
https://news.azpm.org/p/nat-enviro-n...-east-of-city/
That's news to me - very interesting.

Ken

Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,643,135 times
Many years ago, I pulled off I-10 in the dead of night while on a motorcycle trip. I found a nice spot next to some bushes and crawled into my sleeping bag. The next morning I was rudely awakened by a freight train passing by within a few feet from me. I would suggest locating more than a couple of yards from the train tracks.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:43 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Many years ago, I pulled off I-10 in the dead of night while on a motorcycle trip. I found a nice spot next to some bushes and crawled into my sleeping bag. The next morning I was rudely awakened by a freight train passing by within a few feet from me. I would suggest locating more than a couple of yards from the train tracks.
That's pretty dang close!

I once stayed in a cheapo motel in California which was fairly close to some railroad tracks, and was rudely awakened in the middle of the night by what I thought was an earthquake!

Nope, it was a freight train chugging on by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona