Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,909 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a 25 year old grad who is looking for a full time teaching position. Since jobs are scarce in NY I've decided to look at opportunities in other states. One of the states that I'm looking at is Arizona and found openings in Casa Grande. If I was offered a position, what are some pros and cons to teaching in Casa Grande? Moving across the US is a HUGE for me and I want to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I've googled and researched things about the city and I would like to hear opinions from locals. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,346,199 times
I wish my sis in law was on C-D - she is an asst principal and has been with the elementary district for 10 years. She is not renewing her contract this year - but not at all because she was unhappy - but because she and my brother are moving to California.

Are you looking at the elementary district, High School, or one of the private Charter Schools (I think we have 3 in town now).

I cant help too much with what it is like to TEACH in CG - but if you have any questions about the city I can help there - though if you search on my screen name you will get quite a bunch of information I ve posted about CG in the past.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
I'm looking at the elementary schools. And I appreciate all your help!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM

Welcome. Again I cant give specifics of what it is like to TEACH here - but from what I do know there are quite varied opportunities in the elementary district from very new schools with an average to above average income and teaching level (McCartney Ranch Elementary and Villago Middle) to average (Cactus Middle and a few of the other elementary schools) to challenged students from the lower end of the socio-economic scale (CG middle and Saguaro elementary etc. ).

As for the city itself - for a 25 year old it might not be "fun" - Tempe and Scottsdale up closer to Phoenix have the better reputations for that - but the city IS growing and in the next 2 years things will be different (with the opening of Phoenixmart, Tractor Supply Distribution center and a few other business which will be bringing thousands of jobs) and in 5-10 years things will likely be VERY different here.

As an educator I would think a growing city offers some interesting opportunities for advancement etc....

But if you are a weekend party type you ll have to drive up to the valley (an hour drive) for the bar scene etc.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:17 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,009,883 times
I know of two from out of state - that took teaching positions in Arizona.

After teaching a year or more - both have moved back 'home" to teach.

But, noting wrong with getting first job in Arizona. Do an excellent job. Don't call in sick. Volunteer to do other activities. Then get a recommendation - for when you do move back "home".

Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 AM

344 posts, read 643,561 times
I know many teachers/coaches in Casa Grande and they are an outstanding group. They work in an interesting situation, about half the students are long time residents with a lot of school and town pride and about half are a mix of recent immigrants and temporary workers. You will have a few students in each classroom that are fully bi-lingual, and en equal number that are non-English speakers. That means you have to be a bit creative in your lesson pans. Because of the easy movement between L. A. Phoenix and to some extent Tucson the traditional gangs are well represented in GG. However the schools have been declared non-violent by the major Jeffe's who tend to respect teachers.
Some of the teacher/coaches are highly respected by the community and have had some success.
I shoot at the new firing range that is well thought out. The local golf course is very well maintained.
The jobs in C G are farming, military, corrections (the Arizona Prison system is a few miles away) and many of the guards choose t live in CG. Several nice restaurants and the rivalry between Mexican food restaurants with C G, Florence, Coolidge, Marana, and Tucson will take you a year to get through. :-) You will be able to take grad classes from either the Great Desert University in Tucson (U of A) or the normal school in Tempe also know to some of us as the Least Desert University in Tempe. (ASU)

Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Salpointe -

I agree with almost all your post (though I don't have first hand knowledge to confirm the type of classroom a teacher would have - so I ll take your word on that) with the exception of traditional gangs being "well" represented. I think that puts it too strongly. I think just "represented" would be more accurate and I am in a pretty good position to know.

Putting it the way you did makes it seem much more unsafe than it is in town. Any newsworthy violent crimes involving gangs are pretty rare in CG - yes there is the occasional fight or whatever but much of the time that is not gang related per se - and VERY occasionally a more violent crime occurs. The 2012 crime report is the latest one online and there was but a single murder in town that year - and that the average is 1 or 2 per year - and mostly NOT gang related. But almost never does any of this activity impact the average person - teachers included.

Its just semantics - but so many people think CG is this crime ridden place - and its just not true.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,109,283 times
I am a jaded cynic on here. I taught 2 years in the Vail School district. All that matters is the test score. My wife is currently a teacher in Tucson and I think the salaries here are a joke for the cost of living.

If you need experience do what you gotta do, but the problem is if you aren't careful you can burn out. I left Michigan to teach out here. It didn't last long because of poor support and lousy salary. Now I'm in the medical field. Look very carefully at what you are offered for pay and your living options.

If you are an introvert at all I probably wouldn't recommend going so far unless someone is moving out here with you. An extrovert may be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona