Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 04:09 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of tax incentives however, I think that Arizona is a perfect place for filmmaking because of its climate and beautiful scenery.

"The Arizona Legislature is considering a bill that would ramp up the state's incentives for the film industry, according to a report at KRQE.

Production companies in Arizona say they are tired of seeing movies that are supposed to be set in Arizona being shot in other states — like New Mexico.

Film companies "usually come in here for a few days, take some background shots — cactus, Grand Canyon — and then they shoot films in other states," said John Stewart with the Arizona Film and Media Coalition..."

Full Story: Arizona considers new $30M film industry incentive plan - Phoenix Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 PM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
With Hollywood just a few hours west, Arizona should be doing more to lure film production.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:52 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Film makers shouldn't be going elsewhere when they're doing "Arizona" movies. It's almost as bad as Hollywood filming everywhere else but in the USA (Canada, Europe). Keep the dollars in Arizona and America.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
I don't really feel like subsidizing Hollywood. If Michigan is a model of this, they actually lost money subsidizing movies. No thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Whatever happened to Old Tucson? Are they still makin movies there?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I don't really feel like subsidizing Hollywood. If Michigan is a model of this, they actually lost money subsidizing movies. No thanks.
Michigan isn't the only state that lost money trying to lure filming to their states. IMO, this signals desperation by lawmakers!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Whatever happened to Old Tucson? Are they still makin movies there?
I don't believe Old Tucson has been the same since John Wayne's last movie there (Rio Lobo, 1970), and High Chaparral ended in 1971. When Old Tucson Movie Studios burned down in 1995, it didn’t help that it was rebuilt as a dull plastic replica! It's mostly a pretty lame "tourist attraction" now.

It hasn't been enough to bring Hollywood back since - at least on the same scale.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
There has been some small-scale filming going on in the Benson area over the last couple of years. Mescal Studio - owned by Old Tucson - had some scenes shot there for "A Hot Bath an' a Stiff Drink 2" some months back (I believe some scenes were also shot at Old Tucson itself). Jay & Joanne Gammons' Gammons Gulch studio site -a bit north of Benson - has also had some small-scale filming going on over the past few years. Here's what IMDB lists for films shot in full or in part at Gammons Gulch:

IMDb: Titles With Location Matching "Gammons Gulch, Arizona, USA" Sorted by United States Release Date Ascending

http://www.gammonsgulch.com/

There's actually more filming going on in these 2 locations than most people realize - though it is by no means "a lot". In my opinion, the main thing holding back more such filming is the fact that there are very few large budget westerns being filmed any more. Almost all have been small budget made for TV or direct to video films.
Personally, I think the time is ripe for the return of the big screen western - and all it would take is one really good, really big western blockbuster. When that happens - and it WILL happen - other producers will jump on the bandwagon and we'll see a return to filming here in AZ.

I DO think though that film incentives can help drive such filming HERE instead of in New Mexico.

Ken

PS - Touring Gammons Gulch is pretty interesting. Jay Gammons is a hoot.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
There has been some small-scale filming going on in the Benson area over the last couple of years. Mescal Studio - owned by Old Tucson - had some scenes shot there for "A Hot Bath an' a Stiff Drink 2" some months back (I believe some scenes were also shot at Old Tucson itself). Jay & Joanne Gammons' Gammons Gulch studio site -a bit north of Benson - has also had some small-scale filming going on over the past few years. Here's what IMDB lists for films shot in full or in part at Gammons Gulch:

IMDb: Titles With Location Matching "Gammons Gulch, Arizona, USA" Sorted by United States Release Date Ascending

Arizona Movie Set and Tourist Attraction. Gammons Gulch Old Town, Museum and Props

There's actually more filming going on in these 2 locations than most people realize - though it is by no means "a lot". In my opinion, the main thing holding back more such filming is the fact that there are very few large budget westerns being filmed any more. Almost all have been small budget made for TV or direct to video films.
Personally, I think the time is ripe for the return of the big screen western - and all it would take is one really good, really big western blockbuster. When that happens - and it WILL happen - other producers will jump on the bandwagon and we'll see a return to filming here in AZ.

I DO think though that film incentives can help drive such filming HERE instead of in New Mexico.

Ken

PS - Touring Gammons Gulch is pretty interesting. Jay Gammons is a hoot.

I "misremembered" about the Mescal filming location. Thanks, LB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona