Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Bill Johnson's bar-b-cue sauce came about from the now defunct Bill Johnson's B-B-Q restaurants. The reason they're out of business is that they were not that good. That speaks for their sauce, imo.
What sauce is better, well that is determined by your taste buds. Everyone has different tastes and the one you find and like that would be the best one, for you.
Personally I like my wife's concoction, but it's not for sale.
For the record, they are not out of business, the original location is still in business for another two years. http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ears/22170655/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Sorry I didn't realize theat one store was still open. The other three locations are closed up. This last one will be gone within 2 year I see.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
I like Bill Johnson's BBQ Sauce. I've been buying it for decades. Dunk some chicken parts in it, throw it on the BBQ, Yum. Stick a can of baked beans with chili peppers on the side of the burner. Wish I could buy the old A-1 beer they used to bottle here (I know the name has been purchased, but it's not the same) for the whole Arizona low-rent trailler-in-the-desert life experience.

The old Bill Johnson's flagship restaurant on Van Buren:

Gene and Bill Johnson, 1955:

Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
This is nothing but an ad in my opinion

Old 03-21-2023, 04:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Default Can anyone still find the sauce?

Now the BBQ sauce is gone from the shelves. If you know anyone who has it please respond. Can anyone who liked recommend a similar replacement?

Old 03-22-2023, 08:26 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofTopPigeon View Post
I recently came across their website;
and I was Wondering if
Bill Johnson's BBQ Really is
Arizona's Best Selling BBQ Sauce?
Or just marketing hype.

So is it the Best BBQ Sauce in Arizona???

Well, why you don't contact them and ask?

Reaching back in my memory ... is this the business that used to have a great small chain of informal restaurants? I used to love going for breakfast-brunch, if it's the same guy.

Old 03-23-2023, 02:10 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Well, why you don't contact them and ask?

Reaching back in my memory ... is this the business that used to have a great small chain of informal restaurants? I used to love going for breakfast-brunch, if it's the same guy.
The only one I knew was on E Van Buren. It closed several years ago. It was open for over 50 years - more of a testimony to the lack of dining choices than the quality of the food. We'd go there for birthdays and such. The draw was the apple pie a la mode, as I recall.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:55 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
19th Ave and Bell?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Bill Johnson's BBQ Really Arizona's Best Selling BBQ Sauce?-screenshot_2023-03-25-19-57-43  

Old 03-27-2023, 08:42 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
In short..."Best" is always subjective. As an avid Smoker/BBQ enthusiast, I have tried a number of different BBQ sauces to go with different meats. My favorite was KC Masterpiece's Private Stock (which has been discontinued), I have tried Bill Johnson's but I found it too sweet. Right now my favorite is Blues Hog Champion's Blend as an all around.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:50 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Never heard of it or had it so I can't give my opinion on the sauce itself. My point was that just because something is the best selling doesn't make it the best.

The Ford F Series Truck is the best selling vehicle in the United States...is it the best vehicle sold in the United States??? Similar can be said of BBQ sauces I'm sure. Considering I've never seen Bill Johnson's sauce since living in Arizona I hardly doubt it is the best selling either. Maybe they are saying the best selling sauce that is made in Arizona??? That probably isn't a very big list I would think.
I've never owned a Ford pick up or tasted Bill Johnson's barbecue sauce, but I've always owned a pick up truck and I eat barbecue sauce on a regular basis, and I don't feel like I've missed a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona