Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:20 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,209,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Some guy was found dead here a couple of years back - right next to the Colorado River!
I believe it. I did a job in the foothills near the Parker Strip where I had to hike around in the summer and it was amazing how quickly you could go from feeling fine to having heat exhaustion, even with plenty of water on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 PM

16,411 posts, read 30,394,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Like Chicago lost a LOT of people to excess heat in 1995.

Heat-Related Mortality -- Chicago, July 1995

During July 11-27, a total of 465 deaths were certified as heat-related by the CCMEO Figure_1; during July 4-10, no deaths were certified as heat-related. The highest number of heat-related deaths previously certified by the CCMEO -- associated with a heat wave in 1988 -- was 77. The number of heat-related deaths peaked 2 days after the heat index peaked. Deaths increased from 49 (July 14) to a maximum of 162 (July 15) Figure_1. Of the 465 decedents, 257 (55%) were male. Based on race-specific data, 229 (49%) decedents were black; 215 (46%), white; and 21 (5%), other racial/ethnic groups.** Within racial categories, 128 (56%) blacks were male, and 114 (53%) whites were male. Of the 437 decedents for whom age could be determined, age ranged from 3 years to 103 years (median: 75 years, mean: 72 years); 222 (51%) were aged greater than or equal to 75 years.

And if you looked at the people who died in the Chicago heat wave, many were in SROs and small apartments with no air conditioning and very limited air circulation. Many kept their windows closed due to fear of crime. Many people who perished were loners or people who had no one checking in on them or doing welfare checks.

Areas where their was a strong sense of community like Little Village (mostly Mexican) suffered very few problems; adjacent communities (mostly AA) suffered a lot worse.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 PM

31,270 posts, read 22,268,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
As an Arizonian, can you tell me whats the fascination about hiking in the desert?
Beats me, and im a 4th generation native. My dad took me on one too many hikes as a kid, made me go to one too many rodeos, and listen to one too many Marachi bands

Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,750,988 times
I don't think so.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,539,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantano49 View Post
You can see a pattern with the heat related deaths in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona with most of the deaths occurring outdoors probably hiking or other outdoor activity. These numbers though don't reflect the number of deaths from illegals dying in the desert. The Border Patrol reported 463 deaths in 2013 and most of those would be heat related.

The landscape crew where I live starts work at 6am and works till 1pm. They always have water nearby. Once it gets hot around here you see lots of people carrying water bottles or a big Circle K drink.
A few years ago during a lengthy very hot spell, there were deaths among the homeless population and also a few (elderly, IIRC) who died at home, without air conditioning. I remember at least one was in a small mobile home.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM

844 posts, read 1,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
The hills

Arizona State Parks: Picacho Peak: Photo Gallery

https://arizonahighways.wordpress.co...ion-mountains/

Flowers

Pink Desert Globemallow by res1due, on Flickr

Saguaro Bloom by res1due, on Flickr

The Characters you meet

Lizard onShaw Butte by res1due, on Flickr

Long-horned Bees by res1due, on Flickr

Crab Spider dining by res1due, on Flickr

Rattlesnake in the rocks by res1due, on Flickr

The variety is endless. Just keep looking.
These sites aren't really impressive, but I understand that some people may be into this.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,967,860 times
You're right, they aren't. The fascination comes with waking up at that ungodly hour before the sun lifts it's head above the summer landscape. It's that drive out of the city on the empty streets by the endless subdivisions and gas stations and suddenly being cast into a new landscape that grows only here; no place on the planet possesses the variety and diversity of plants of our desert ecosystem.

You scale a mountain or hill, perhaps it overlooks a lake or the Salt River. It's overgrown with boulders eaten away by time, century-old cacti and green palo verde. Coyotes scamper from your approach, a mule deer props itself atop a boulder, eyeing with curious black eyes, catches your whiff and bounds away. The fascination is reaching the top and the view that results from your elevation. You can see the next mountain range and valley, maybe the next town, or just an endless horizon. The horizon sometimes is just as satisfying. Maybe you can see the Phoenix skyline come ablaze as the sunrise is reciprocal in the thousands of high-rise windows.

What's so fascinating about hiking in the desert? I can give you a million reasons, write a book, and produce a movie, but I can't awaken you. You'll have to see for yourself.

Sorry, back to the topic, yeah other states un-acclimated to the heat would suffer more deaths. Az is prepared for heat as it has been for hundreds of years.

Good day!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,986,946 times
Yeah when I first moved here I was dumb and went out hiking by myself (not really too far from civilization but I was out of site) when it was about 108 out. I had water, hat, and wasn't going but a few miles so I figured I would be fine. That heat sneaks up on you fast. Got the intense headache and dizziness, immediately stopped what I was doing and rested. Getting back to the car was walk a 100 feet. Rest five minutes. Tag a swig of water. Walk another 100 feet, rest five minutes. It was kinda iffy there for awhile.

When it is REALLY hot take precautions and don't be out in it unless you have to!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,949,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Yeah when I first moved here I was dumb and went out hiking by myself (not really too far from civilization but I was out of site) when it was about 108 out. I had water, hat, and wasn't going but a few miles so I figured I would be fine. That heat sneaks up on you fast. Got the intense headache and dizziness, immediately stopped what I was doing and rested. Getting back to the car was walk a 100 feet. Rest five minutes. Tag a swig of water. Walk another 100 feet, rest five minutes. It was kinda iffy there for awhile.

When it is REALLY hot take precautions and don't be out in it unless you have to!
Agreed and HOW!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
no place on the planet possesses the variety and diversity of plants of our desert ecosystem.
Compared to other deserts, you might be correct. But if you think the Sonoran Desert possesses more flora and fauna diversity than anywhere else on earth, you're sorely mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona