Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 01:17 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,734,894 times

Advertisements

It continues to baffle me how there are always wrecks on I 17 near Black Canyon City and yet, The Beeline up to Payson always accident free despite it being more twisty between Sunflower and Rye than Black Canyon City to Cordes Lake...make no mistake... I take full advantage of going 82 in a 75 on I 17...However, I do believe the 65 on The Beeline does subconsciously make a difference in accident prevention. Plus, you can't be staring at Mt Ord with some of the twists near Sunflower. Whereas I believe too many gumshoe city slickers from Phoenix stare at the Bradshaws between Black Canyon City and Cordes Lake and apparently cannot multitask. Lastly, I was hoping the recent requirement for 18 wheelers to STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE north of Black Canyon City would cut down on I 17 accidents...NOPE ! Bumble Bee at mile marker 249 shut down this evening for northbound traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 AM

39,129 posts, read 51,424,112 times
It's the tailgating, people traveling at very different speeds and lane changers on that stretch of 17 that make for so many accidents. That and the flatlanders from Nebraska and so forth who stomp on the brakes repeatedly coming down. It is 65 limit through there not that anyone pays much attention. For whatever reason, the trip up the hill makes one want to hit the gas to see what the old beater will do. It would be nice to have three lanes like they did outside of Camp Verde recently. But it is an engineering challenge to do that and would be pretty disruptive while it was happening.

My place is up on the rim north of Strawberry. It's OK driving to Payson, but I seem to always get behind a cement truck or a load of gravel on the Payson to the top part. Also, Payson has turned into speed trap city with the cams and cops everywhere.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-27-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 AM

24,357 posts, read 13,225,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's the tailgating, people traveling at very different speeds and lane changers on that stretch of 17 that make for so many accidents. That and the flatlanders from Nebraska and so forth who stomp on the brakes repeatedly coming down. It is 65 limit through there not that anyone pays much attention. For whatever reason, the trip up the hill makes one want to hit the gas to see what the old beater will do. It would be nice to have three lanes like they did outside of Camp Verde recently. But it is an engineering challenge to do that and would be pretty disruptive while it was happening.

My place is up on the rim north of Strawberry. It's OK driving to Payson, but I seem to always get behind a cement truck or a load of gravel on the Payson to the top part. Also, Payson has turned into speed trap city with the cams and cops everywhere.
...And Star Valley as well. Two weeks ago I drove in from OK via 377 and 260, and the photo radar setups look like Paradise Valley. I did get stuck behind a logging truck, and the 55 mph limit on 377 and 277 seems very slow after 75 on I-40.

I used to take I-17 from Flagstaff, mapping applications say that it's shorter in time even though it's ~50 miles longer, but after getting stuck repeatedly on the I-17 parking lot near Anthem, that was enough. Also, the inconsistency of drivers is downright dangerous, especially when you come around a curve and an 18-wheeler is in the left lane at 45 mph, passing another even slower truck. Whee!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

I know Star Valley has a ton of photo radar but atleast they forewarn you. That stretch to Strawberry no doubt is frustrating beyond Houston Mesa when some slowpoke is joyriding.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
...And Star Valley as well. Two weeks ago I drove in from OK via 377 and 260, and the photo radar setups look like Paradise Valley. I did get stuck behind a logging truck, and the 55 mph limit on 377 and 277 seems very slow after 75 on I-40.

I used to take I-17 from Flagstaff, mapping applications say that it's shorter in time even though it's ~50 miles longer, but after getting stuck repeatedly on the I-17 parking lot near Anthem, that was enough. Also, the inconsistency of drivers is downright dangerous, especially when you come around a curve and an 18-wheeler is in the left lane at 45 mph, passing another even slower truck. Whee!
I will take Holbrook to Payson to reach PHX anytime over i 40 to 117...outside of speed traps near Heber Overgaard and Payson...peaceful drive with less traffic. I also prefer 69 via Prescott to 89 to Ash Fork to avoid I 17 BS...less scenic but safer.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM

24,357 posts, read 13,225,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I will take Holbrook to Payson to reach PHX anytime over i 40 to 117...outside of speed traps near Heber Overgaard and Payson...peaceful drive with less traffic. I also prefer 69 via Prescott to 89 to Ash Fork to avoid I 17 BS...less scenic but safer.
It's been a few years since I stopped the I-17 route. So much less hassle, traffic and the like. Yes, it does require slow-and-go through Payson, Star valley and Heber, and on 260 about 5 miles is closed on one side coming down The Rim for construction, but the frustration and aggravation just isn't there the way it often is on 17.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 PM

140 posts, read 175,259 times
I live in Anthem and there is frequently a traffic jam on 17 going north. I've seen it enough that I've determined if I am going north then I need to leave around 6am and beat the accidents.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 PM

While Black Canyon City to Cordes Lake is somewhat steep...it is pretty manageable compared to other inclines and switchbacks that are accident free. It is usually cars that cause these pile ups as opposed to 18 wheelers. I say driving from BC City to Cordes Lake should be banned for anyone who creates an accident due to negligence. They do not deserve access to the north country if they can't be disciplined. Not talking tire blowouts...I am talking tailgaiters cruising at 80 plus up the mountain staring at the Bradshaws causing rearend collisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona