Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 12:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,960,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
We are discussing it. You're just not having it because it doesn't confirm to your own extreme ideology.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/23/132234...ical-landscape

https://www.irs.gov/uac/SOI-Tax-Stat...Data-2012-2013

So where are the proof showing that the IRS and Census data that shows the population shift from democrat to Republican states is inaccurate?

You will not stick to the thread topic and you refuse to discuss the IRS and Census data that was used for these statistics. Conversation ended

Last edited by autism360; 10-11-2015 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,497,984 times
A lot of people who move to Arizona are from California. California is a liberal state. The people who are fleeing California for Arizona are probably not all liberals. But I'm sure many are.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 AM

10,784 posts, read 23,957,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
A lot of people who move to Arizona are from California. California is a liberal state. The people who are fleeing California for Arizona are probably not all liberals. But I'm sure many are.
This is what we kept telling the OP over and over and over again. Many of the migrants relocating from these states are likely both conservative AND liberal. Just like liberals could be moving from what are perceived as other red states to AZ. She has no way to gauge this, nor can it really be tracked whether or not the reasons for them moving are purely political. She can't understand that because everything seems purely political with her, it's so cumbersome.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 AM

6,313 posts, read 6,878,872 times
I think Californians who are liberal and looking to move would dodge Arizona. There are other nearby states that are not as red. Nevada would be a better choice. Las Vegas is more similar to California in some ways plus has the same weather as Phoenix (for those that like that) and is even closer to LA than we are by 2 hours. Not known as a conservative haven either. Oregon probably gets their fair share of Californians, maybe even more than we do with Portland becoming a trendy place to live, and much more liberal than we are. Oregon probably appeals to liberal Californians much more than Arizona or Nevada does.

Most of the Californians I know who moved here did because it was conservative here and that they were conservatives themselves and wanted to live somewhere with similar political views, which is understood. And most of the ex-Californians I know are from Orange County... OC isn't known for being liberal.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I think Californians who are liberal and looking to move would dodge Arizona. There are other nearby states that are not as red. Nevada would be a better choice. Las Vegas is more similar to California in some ways plus has the same weather as Phoenix (for those that like that) and is even closer to LA than we are by 2 hours. Not known as a conservative haven either. Oregon probably gets their fair share of Californians, maybe even more than we do with Portland becoming a trendy place to live, and much more liberal than we are. Oregon probably appeals to liberal Californians much more than Arizona or Nevada does.

Most of the Californians I know who moved here did because it was conservative here and that they were conservatives themselves and wanted to live somewhere with similar political views, which is understood. And most of the ex-Californians I know are from Orange County... OC isn't known for being liberal.
Overall, I think it's hard to paint AZ with a broad brush of "conservative" as the chart shows a wide span from a city like Mesa to Tucson. Las Vegas might surprise you, actually a small notch more conservative than Phoenix. Though like most states, I think the rural and the suburb areas are generally more conservative than large cities. And in the end, I'm not actually sure what conservative or liberal really means anymore as I think there is wide variation between those terms and many don't fit neatly into one end of the spectrum or the other.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM

22,632 posts, read 15,002,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I woke up this morning to an email from Zillow, gleefully informing me that the house I paid $480k for in 1995 is now worth some millions of dollars.

You must be in a much higher income bracket than I'm in.

I congratulate you on your wise investment in purchasing a property that earned so much equity.

Do be aware that Zillow might not be precise in estimating the actual price you can get for your home.

As a home owner I follow the prices listed and sold for of similar houses in my immediate neighborhood by local realtors. I purchased my 6 bedroom 3 story Victorian semi-detached duplex townhouse for $180,000 in 2002; a very similar home 1 block away went on the market for $585,000 a few weeks ago. That didn't surprise me as the neighborhood is fully gentrified now, but I was shocked to learn a rowhouse more modest than our larger 125 year old Victorian is asking $525,000.

You know what they say about real estate: Location, location, location.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:00 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,108,842 times
Technically, as a percentage of its population, California has a below average domestic out-migration rate. It's just that even fewer people are moving to California from the rest of the country than are moving away.

Also, Illinois and Massachusetts recently elected Republican governors.

Not to mention that interstate migration has been declining for years.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Overall, I think it's hard to paint AZ with a broad brush of "conservative" as the chart shows a wide span from a city like Mesa to Tucson. Las Vegas might surprise you, actually a small notch more conservative than Phoenix. Though like most states, I think the rural and the suburb areas are generally more conservative than large cities. And in the end, I'm not actually sure what conservative or liberal really means anymore as I think there is wide variation between those terms and many don't fit neatly into one end of the spectrum or the other.
I'm using the terms conservative and liberal loosely by their stereotypes. But states tend to be viewed by what happens in their cities even if it was only on city-level, and it can be good or bad, it depends.

Let me try to make an analogy here... It's like how people are quick to write a bad review of a restaurant online if they've had a bad experience, but a good experience they are less likely to write a review about. Usually if someone writes a good review of a restaurant it's because the restaurant usually did superb. And I check reviews of restaurants before I go. If the reviews are that negative with a lack of positive reviews to create balance, chances are I won't give the restaurant an opportunity. Because I perceive it to be bad based on what I've heard.

Similarly, Arizona has not been in the best lime light in recent years due to "conservative" political events like SB 1070 and Arpaio and the like... The media has done it's part on sharing this information on the national level. People with no in-depth knowledge of our state or experiences of Arizona will judge us based on what they've heard or read about. Chances are, if in someone's eyes these events are seen as truly very negative, they won't come here. That's where the political orientation/perception of the events come into play. And when it comes to the media, Arizona hasn't had a "superb" review in recent times that I can think of. Unless of course, an outsider sees these as positive and would be more likely to live here (as politics aren't the only variable in relocation). This would support more conservatives moving here rather than what the thread title is arguing for.

I don't claim full knowledge of this but last I recall Nevada hasn't had such large events happen in recent times. Thus in the eyes of the media--which is sadly the eyes of most Americans--Nevada would look less like a "conservative haven" than we do. Even if Las Vegas is more conservative in the quantitative data. Nevada doesn't have the media painting them vermillion.

I don't disagree with you at all, in fact I agree with your post, but I was arguing something else. Perception plays a big role in this. I'm an Arizonan, born and raised, I know Arizona can't be painted with a broad brush accurately. But outsiders do this, and they do it often. It's ignorant in my opinion to do so but people do it. If we are "one of the top five states liberals are moving to" we need to do good on reputation which I explained. And frankly I don't think we have been doing good here, which is why I'm disagreeing with the thread title.

States that are doing good on the perception factor... Well... Oregon is one. And it is California's neighbor...

If Arizona is truly attracting liberals in droves then it is NOT because of politics.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,097,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Oregon probably gets their fair share of Californians, maybe even more than we do with Portland becoming a trendy place to live, and much more liberal than we are.
Oregon invented the "Don't Californicate..." bumper sticker. They had their sights on Oregon long before AZ was on their radar.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Oregon invented the "Don't Californicate..." bumper sticker. They had their sights on Oregon long before AZ was on their radar.
I don't know about that last sentence haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona