Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 PM

498 posts, read 544,116 times

Advertisements

25! Go USA!
Attached Thumbnails
Arizona joins list against taking  Syrian "refugees"-50.jpg  

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Nothing to be embarrassed about. The world supports you in your decision...the world that matters.
You're right, the difference is us saying that we are trying to protect ourselves from a possible threat. The incorrect way to do it would be to warn of the dangers of Islam or something similar.

Ducey is a lot better at PR than previous administrations though.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. This isn't a bad decision so long as we don't formally publicize it in an embarrassing fashion.
To be fair: those states that WILL take in those Syrians, they're the ones being raked over the coals by their pissed off residents.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,088,411 times
Um, everybody does realize this is largely symbolic, right? No state can legally prohibit the re-location of refugees. The Fed controls immigration, which includes refugees. Even if Doug Ducey could somehow refuse those people, once they are settled in some other state there is nothing to prevent them from individually moving on to someplace else. Once we're done with the high fives, nothing changes.
Next?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Here Is the Growing List of States That Have Vowed Not to Take Syrian Refugees | Mediaite

I like the USA it puts it's citizens first. Unlike that spineless twerp PM we have in Canuckistan.

Please accept me as a refugee!
Excellent move by Arizona's governor, and by several other states, to protect ourselves -- especially when this President continues to be listless, if not clueless about even defining this as radical Islamic terrorism -- which is more than obvious to all around the world.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM

473 posts, read 670,729 times
I feel sad that there are so many states that haven't refused to take refugees. They are not Vietnamese or any other hard-working people. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of Muslims coming into our country.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,705,416 times
This is about like a petition to your government and means almost nothing.
No state has a right to refuse people the feds admit and that includes illegals they release after catching them in AZ.
Think about it.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,479,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Arizona is actually refusing to take ANY new refugees. This will reflect poorly on the state, but what else is new? It's a reactionary measure that does nothing to keep us "safe." If someone wants to carry out a terror attack here, they will do it. It's sad that so many descendants of Europeans who basically came here as refugees from war and famine are so supportive of this. So much for Christian values and treating everyone equally. We are not putting citizens first. Our kids will still be shortchanged by the legislature on education, the poor and hungry in this state will still be poor and hungry tomorrow, and our homeless veterans whom we proclaim to have so much respect for will still be out on the streets tomorrow. Sad, but not unexpected.
I agree with one of your points....we need to put our own citizens first which hasn't been happening in my view.

As for the bigger issue and "reflecting poorly" on AZ, the majority of states now(27 and counting) are against this. AZ is in the majority of states on this issue if this provides comfort to some.

Syrian refugees not welcome in 27 U.S. states - CNN.com

Symbolic for states like AZ? Perhaps, as the law as I understand it is a federal issue on this matter. But AZ and other states can play the same game the feds and other cities have been doing for a while now.....bending the rule of law. Heck, if sanctuary cities can exist in the open, flaunting federal law, and the feds let them be, why can't states like AZ bend them a bit/flaunt them and sell it all in the end as benefiting the people? And throw some lawsuits out there and watch it all freeze. Hardball meets hardball.

This issue is not AZ's/the nations problem anymore than any other country is suppose to/has the moral right to fix the bunch of problems we have in AZ/our own country that go unsolved. Perhaps we should fix our own problems first?.....wait, we are broke with almost 20 trillion dollar in debt nationally and AZ runs a deficit last I knew and ss and medicare severely underfunded, infrastructure in many parts of the country needing serious upgrades, growing number of people on welfare programs, not enough jobs, etc etc Now how much of the world do you want to fix again with money and jobs we don't have? When we solve the serious problems I outlined above that face AZ and the nation, and have some extra money to share, sure, then we can start thinking about saving the world but for now, we are broke. CC maxed out. Can't do it. We have to stop the nonsense/spending like a crazed lunatic with money we don't have.

And if one is seriously that concerned about people outside of your own country before helping those in your own backyard first, individuals can join many groups that go overseas to provide support.

Last edited by stevek64; 11-17-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 PM

498 posts, read 544,116 times
Up to 30!

Looks like Obama is going to have a lot of guests at his house.
Attached Thumbnails
Arizona joins list against taking  Syrian "refugees"-12244408_10153843570716336_7302577311696539892_o.png  

Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree with one of your points....we need to put our own citizens first which hasn't been happening in my view.

As for the bigger issue and "reflecting poorly" on AZ, the majority of states now(27 and counting) are against this. AZ is in the majority of states on this issue if this provides comfort to some.

Syrian refugees not welcome in 27 U.S. states - CNN.com

Symbolic for states like AZ? Perhaps, as the law as I understand it is a federal issue on this matter. But AZ and other states can play the same game the feds and other cities have been doing for a while now.....bending the rule of law. Heck, if sanctuary cities can exist in the open, flaunting federal law, and the feds let them be, why can't states like AZ bend them a bit/flaunt them and sell it all in the end as benefiting the people? And throw some lawsuits out there and watch it all freeze. Hardball meets hardball.

This issue is not AZ's/the nations problem anymore than any other country is suppose to/has the moral right to fix the bunch of problems we have in AZ/our own country that go unsolved. Perhaps we should fix our own problems first?.....wait, we are broke with almost 20 trillion dollar in debt nationally and AZ runs a deficit last I knew and ss and medicare severely underfunded, infrastructure in many parts of the country needing serious upgrades, growing number of people on welfare programs, not enough jobs, etc etc Now how much of the world do you want to fix again with money and jobs we don't have? When we solve the serious problems I outlined above that face AZ and the nation, and have some extra money to share, sure, then we can start thinking about saving the world but for now, we are broke. CC maxed out. Can't do it. We have to stop the nonsense/spending like a crazed lunatic with money we don't have.

And if one is seriously that concerned about people outside of your own country before helping those in your own backyard first, individuals can join many groups that go overseas to provide support.
Absolutely agree that America is not currently assisting its own citizens as it should. Putting emphasis on immigrants and refugees is understandable to a point, but not to the exclusion of its own people's needs and safety.

Your point regarding this administration's looking the other way when it comes to so-called sanctuary cities is an affront to the citizens and legal immigrants of America, and always has been. For our government to suddenly adhere to the Constitution and condemn states for refusing to allow non-Americans into their areas, which they should rightly do for safety reasons, is a total reversal when there is refusal to condemn itself when it comes to the question of sanctuary cities and the criminal element which they protect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona