Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that gun rights attract people to Arizona?
yes 22 42.31%
no 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:31 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,627,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
"Hey, I can pack an iron easier and even carry it around like a cowboy..."
In Arizona? You got that right, podnuh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 05:43 PM

445 posts, read 517,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am NOT saying that Illinois has a lower COL than Arizona, although parts of downstate Illinois would be cheaper to live in the Phoenix area. However, to say that you are going to save 20-30% on expenses is just NOT accurate.
Depending on where in Illinois you're talking about, it is. There is a huge variety in cost of living, even within the Chicago metro area. As far as housing is concerned, parts of the city and certain suburbs can be twice as expensive than other city and suburban areas only miles apart from each other. Gas is significantly more expensive in the city compared with outside Cook county. 20-30% lower COL is not a stretch at all.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,953,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am NOT saying that Illinois has a lower COL than Arizona, although parts of downstate Illinois would be cheaper to live in the Phoenix area. However, to say that you are going to save 20-30% on expenses is just NOT accurate.
I think is reasonable to say generally You could save that easily in housing costs alone compared to illinois, New york, California and New jersey if you are comparing apples to apples meaning the decent areas close to the major cities.
If you are comparing the boonie areas then it may be different.

You might find the link below of interest

Quote:
Indices Difference Info
Consumer Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 15.56% lower than in Chicago, IL
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Phoenix, AZ are 25.41% lower than in Chicago, IL
Rent Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 42.09% lower than in Chicago, IL
Restaurant Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 22.09% lower than in Chicago, IL
Groceries Prices in Phoenix, AZ are 16.95% lower than in Chicago, IL
Local Purchasing Power in Phoenix, AZ is 46.33% higher than in Chicago, IL
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=Phoenix%2C+AZ

Last edited by autism360; 01-01-2016 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
In Arizona? You got that right, podnuh!
and you do not even need to fill out any paperwork just strap on your sidearm as a new AZ resident and you are good to go

Old 01-03-2016, 01:38 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,627,163 times
The answer to the poll question is yes. But the question seems disingenuous somehow.

If 10,000 people move to Az for the weather..
And if 5,000 people move to Az for lower taxes..
And if 3 people move to Az for it's gun laws..

The answer to the question would still be yes.

100% of the answers could/should be yes, but that wouldn't say anything as to why the vast majority of people chose to move to Az.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 AM

483 posts, read 667,396 times
Property tax on a 1850 square foot house on a quarter acre:

Lake County, Ill-annoy: $10,400
Florence, Arizona: $2,200

That's just one of the advantages of moving from Ill-annoy to AZ. I won't even mention the cost of gas, tolls, traffic, income tax, weather, etc. Oh wait, I guess I did mention those things. Oh well...

Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 PM

105 posts, read 106,697 times
I'll say this, if I didn't live here in TX I would most definitely consider living in Az

Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The answer to the poll question is yes. But the question seems disingenuous somehow.

If 10,000 people move to Az for the weather..
And if 5,000 people move to Az for lower taxes..
And if 3 people move to Az for it's gun laws..

The answer to the question would still be yes.

100% of the answers could/should be yes, but that wouldn't say anything as to why the vast majority of people chose to move to Az.
With crime and terrorism increasing, personal protection and safety for a person's family start to become more of an issue in deciding where to live.
Sadly thanks to certain politicians in both parties but especially the current president who could care less about doing their number 1 duty of protecting this country we have to start thinking more about how to protect ourselves since we cannot rely on the government to protect us.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:48 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,731,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The goal is to reduce struggle, a lateral income move to a lower cost of living area is ideal. If you have to take a pay cut, even if it matches the new prices there better be profound intangible benefits to the move because your moving expenses alone will put you in the hole for a while.

Being able to leverage a high income in a low cost of living area is the goal. No one wants to scrape just to put together a down payment and be 2 months away from ruin in a job loss.
The problem is, many people who move to Arizona - and other warm-weather states with primarily low-wage, service-oriented economies such as Florida and Nevada, I might add - from high-cost states (such as those mentioned above) often take somewhere in the range of a 40-50% pay cut for a only a 20-30% reduction in COL. Throw in moving expenses, and it turns out these people were better off in the more expensive states they moved from.

Even if your secure a well-paying gig in Arizona that is largely a lateral income move, you better make sure you like that job, manager, office, etc. Because if you don't or - God forbid - lose that job, you're **** outta luck. Of course, it depends on what industry you're in, but for the most part, Arizona does not have a particularly strong, diversified economy or very many Fortune 1000 companies.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,846,226 times
In some ways, yes. In some ways, no.

Most people I know who are transplants here view our gun rights as a "plus" but wasn't their ultimate deciding factor to living here. So if our gun rights were like New York's instead, it probably wouldn't have affected these people.

However there are some, and I do say some because they are probably a minority in this, who view 2nd Amendment rights as an ultimate priority and wouldn't touch a state like California with a ten foot pole. My father is one of these people. He is looking to leave Arizona because he wants a beach, and that is why he is looking at Florida, because Florida almost has the exact same gun rights as we do. Florida and Arizona are probably tied here.

So because your question doesn't mention if gun rights attract a majority of Arizona transplants, just if it attracts "people" as any number, I guess I would have to vote yes on this. I know some people who moved here who had prioritized the 2nd Amendment as one of their deciding factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona