Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,519 times

Advertisements

In your experience, which has more laid back/easy going/friendly people? Which has the more laid back vibe?

(I want the most broad generalizations you can come up with about the largest number of people you don't know - figured I'd write that before I have to read it coming from somebody else in a snarky manner.)

Last edited by svendrell; 01-26-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
I think Tucson people are more uptight. In Phoenix, you have more transplants who want to make friends and are more prone to wanting to meet new people. It's very easy to make friends in Phoenix. Tucson has cliques and is a smaller yet tighter community.

I think Tucson can also be very snarky about the University of Arizona. The city's identity is strongly tied to the U of A but Phoenix is not like that. In Tempe and the Phoenix area, both the U of A and ASU are represented equally. You don't feel ASU people demonstrate the anti-UA sentiment to the same degree that you find with UA people with regard to ASU.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 PM

299 posts, read 440,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think Tucson people are more uptight. In Phoenix, you have more transplants who want to make friends and are more prone to wanting to meet new people. It's very easy to make friends in Phoenix. Tucson has cliques and is a smaller yet tighter community.

I think Tucson can also be very snarky about the University of Arizona. The city's identity is strongly tied to the U of A but Phoenix is not like that. In Tempe and the Phoenix area, both the U of A and ASU are represented equally. You don't feel ASU people demonstrate the anti-UA sentiment to the same degree that you find with UA people with regard to ASU.
AGREED! I see U of A stickers in PHX all the time. But in Tuscon if I were to rep. ASU, I might get beat up :P

Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I live and work in both.

Tucson is infinetly more laid back IF and only if you have an affiliation with UA. I do, so my experiences have been great. Moreover since I was an adjunct for years there, I know the right people and am in the right circles. But all of these circles are born out of UA. But professionals in my field who aren't affiliated with UA are notoriously treated poorly and dismissed.

Phoenix can be more laid back if you are a transplant and have a cosmopolitan frame of mind. UA people are treated pretty decently in Phoenix, since I have 2 degrees at ASU I'm in a good place but the advantages aren't nearly as pronounced as UA people are in Tucson. UA runs local government in Tucson. ASU doesn't have that same level of influence because Phoenix is more than just a few institutions.

But in general life, Phoenix has a more keeping with the Jones' culture. Tucson people don't judge you for your jalopy and dirty clothes, in fact they see it as endearing.
I also worked in Tucson and was faculty at the U of A. The university is amazing. That being said, I was pretty disappointed because you don't really find the charming friendly demeanor you would expect from such a small city. Rather, they give off the "jealous little brother" vibe. Whenever I said I was from Phoenix, Tucson residents universally felt the need to belittle Phoenix by saying it's too big, hot and congested. It felt petty and annoying after a while. But I agree they are not as pretentious and materialistic as Phoenix residents. Tucson has more of a middle class/blue collar feel

What I liked about Tucson was it had a distinct southwest identity. Phoenix feels like an extension of southern California but Tucson feels like it could be a city in New Mexico. I also like how Tucson is proud of it's Hispanic heritage and they embrace Mexican Americans and even illegals. I am Mexican American so that was a pleasant and welcome change from Phoenix. The city is also very liberal and leans Democrat. The weather is better than Phoenix and is about 10 degrees cooler and there is little pollution there. The sky still has that deep blue hue. Finally, I liked how they were fiercely loyal to their home grown businesses and restaurants. You didn't see as many chains there as Phoenix. There are a lot of original mom and pop types of restaurants that started a long time ago and are still successful.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
I also worked in Tucson and was faculty at the U of A. The university is amazing. That being said, I was pretty disappointed because you don't really find the charming friendly demeanor you would expect from such a small city. Rather, they give off the "jealous little brother" vibe. Whenever I said I was from Phoenix, Tucson residents universally felt the need to belittle Phoenix by saying it's too big, hot and congested. It felt petty and annoying after a while. But I agree they are not as pretentious and materialistic as Phoenix residents. Tucson has more of a middle class/blue collar feel

What I liked about Tucson was it had a distinct southwest identity. Phoenix feels like an extension of southern California but Tucson feels like it could be a city in New Mexico. I also like how Tucson is proud of it's Hispanic heritage and they embrace Mexican Americans and even illegals. I am Mexican American so that was a pleasant and welcome change from Phoenix. The city is also very liberal and leans Democrat. The weather is better than Phoenix and is about 10 degrees cooler and there is little pollution there. The sky still has that deep blue hue. Finally, I liked how they were fiercely loyal to their home grown businesses and restaurants. You didn't see as many chains there as Phoenix. There are a lot of original mom and pop types of restaurants that started a long time ago and are still successful.
I think you said this perfectly, and to a large extent I agree. The little brother thing was something I fought a lot when I was there full time because I am a Phoenix native.

My post vanished so I'll repost it:

I live and work in both.

Tucson is infinetly more laid back IF and only if you have an affiliation with UA. I do, so my experiences have been great. Moreover since I was an adjunct for years there, I know the right people and am in the right circles. But all of these circles are born out of UA. But professionals in my field who aren't affiliated with UA are notoriously treated poorly and dismissed.

Phoenix can be more laid back if you are a transplant and have a cosmopolitan frame of mind. UA people are treated pretty decently in Phoenix, since I have 2 degrees at ASU I'm in a good place but the advantages aren't nearly as pronounced as UA people are in Tucson. UA runs local government in Tucson. ASU doesn't have that same level of influence because Phoenix is more than just a few institutions.

But in general life, Phoenix has a more keeping with the Jones' culture. Tucson people don't judge you for your jalopy and dirty clothes, in fact they see it as endearing.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Would you say rents are lower overall in Tucson as a result? I think I read a post in the Phoenix forum about too many luxury apartments being built in Phoenix and rents rising in Phoenix.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Would you say rents are lower overall in Tucson as a result? I think I read a post in the Phoenix forum about too many luxury apartments being built in Phoenix and rents rising in Phoenix.
Rents are lower in Tucson, but the housing stock is older and generally in worse condition.

Rents in Phoenix are more variable, areas change more dramatically in costs in Phoenix, but again we're talking nicer apartments and houses (generally). So when people are complaining of expensive rent it's because they are choosing apartments in highly desirable areas. But if you look in suburbs the rents can be pretty much the same as Tucson for a higher quality apartment. Your standard Tucson area apartment is probably 20+ years old, possibly renovated, probably not. My favorite apartment area of Tucson is at River & Campbell south of River Rd. and north of the Rillito. These run about the same as a standard apartment in Phoenix.

Tucson has very expensive areas, specifically by UA, where you're paying 400-500K for a house that's maybe 1200sq ft, with a tiny yard with no landscaping.

So to answer your question, Phoenix can be more expensive but wages are higher and the housing stock is newer and generally nicer. BUT if you're into grit and character it can feel sterile. Tucson has a hot garbage economy, Phoenix has a tepid economy.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla
AGREED! I see U of A stickers in PHX all the time. But in Tuscon if I were to rep. ASU, I might get beat up :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64
Phoenix can be more laid back if you are a transplant and have a cosmopolitan frame of mind.

Since I'd be a transplant, it sounds like Phoenix would be more laidback for me. I've seen small and tight communities be funny about outsiders (not that it'd happen, but if it's less likely in Phoenix, then great). Thanks guys!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:25 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,724,528 times
Quote:

One of the main differences between Phoenix and Tucson is that the Tucson community revolves around their largest and most important academic institution, UA, whereas Phoenix does not revolve around theirs, ASU. If anything, there's more of a community feel in Tucson than Phoenix because it's a smaller city and the love and support for the UA is something that unifies all Tucson locals, whether they attended the UA or not. It's a source of commonality in what is otherwise a very rootless, transient state.

FWIW, I never found the narcissistic Midwestern transplants in the Phoenix area (especially in Scottsdale and adjacent areas) - who, by some stroke of misfortune or their overall sorry dispositions, couldn't hack it in California - to be all that friendly in the first place.

Also, since both Phoenix and Tucson don't offer much in the way career advancement opportunities and high earning potential for most professionals, it's not uncommon for people to leave Arizona altogether after a few years or so due to underemployment, work-related transfers, inability to secure gainful employment after graduation, etc.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
One of the main differences between Phoenix and Tucson is that the Tucson community revolves around their largest and most important academic institution, UA, whereas Phoenix does not revolve around theirs, ASU. If anything, there's more of a community feel in Tucson than Phoenix because it's a smaller city and the love and support for the UA is something that unifies all Tucson locals, whether they attended the UA or not. It's a source of commonality in what is otherwise a very rootless, transient state.

FWIW, I never found the narcissistic Midwestern transplants in the Phoenix area (especially in Scottsdale and adjacent areas) - who, by some stroke of misfortune or their overall sorry dispositions, couldn't hack it in California - to be all that friendly in the first place.

Also, since both Phoenix and Tucson don't offer much in the way career advancement opportunities and high earning potential for most professionals, it's not uncommon for people to leave Arizona altogether after a few years or so due to underemployment, work-related transfers, inability to secure gainful employment after graduation, etc.
It almost seems like you made an account to recant this post in various threads relating to Phoenix or Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona