Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What to do?? Very depressed? How to feel better about desert living?
Whatever you do, stay busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:58 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree with Observer . . .

The issues described definitely sound like much more than "Living In Arizona"!

Some of us are able to find happiness no matter where we are living while others are always quick to blame unhappiness on something and/or someone else.
It's been proven that environment plays a huge part in a person's happiness/mood. I grew up in the Northeast and loved it. However, I hated the long grey winters. My mood (and the moods of others around me!) was definitely affected during those months. Consequentially, the same can be said for the sunshine in Arizona, especially the summers!

Now, might there be deeper issues the OP is facing? Sure, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the environment factor.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:49 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Crazy, when I left Arizona for a short-time and lived in a very wet, cold and cloudy place it affected me to some extent, but I adjusted my hobbies and learned to appreciate the unique and cool things about the area I was living in. Sure the short winter days got to me but again, had to make the best of it because we only have one life to live.

Not sure how much you've learned or know about the desert you seem to despise so much, but perhaps learning more about the environment that seems to depress you could change your view on it. There's quite a few Sonoran environmental education centers, including many of the Arizona parks that put on cool things such as evening hikes, movies in the park, etc... we even did a pink jeep toured and learned some amazing facts about the very unique natural environment were surrounded by that completely changed many of my views of the desert. You truly are in a very unique area, which I get isn't going to be exciting for everyone, but also it's not like were in the Mojave or Sahara, which tend to be much more devoid of vegetation and life than our desert.

Anyways, just some food for thought. Hopefully you're able to figure out a path to happiness. Another thing I'd challenge you to consider is that WA might not be all you're making it out to be. I've met some very depressed folks that can't wait to get out of the dreary northwest, so hopefully you're not painting it in a much prettier picture than it really is.

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM

103 posts, read 76,591 times
You might also want to see if desert flora and fauna are affecting you allergy-wise. I had a friend who loved the SouthWest, but was so allergic to the sagebrush and other things, they had all kinds of symptoms and eventually moved back to the midwest.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:48 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hales123 View Post
Hubby and I moved to Washington after saving money for about a year to do so, we loved Washington and living there but had to move back shortly because hubby could not find a well paying enough job, and there wasn't many jobs in the area we were able to live
I'm from WA.

May I ask what town you were living in?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM

576 posts, read 831,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
You might also want to see if desert flora and fauna are affecting you allergy-wise. I had a friend who loved the SouthWest, but was so allergic to the sagebrush and other things, they had all kinds of symptoms and eventually moved back to the midwest.
Thread is over a year and a half old.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM

700 posts, read 919,751 times
Twenty-three years now in a similar situation of the OP; the first five years I felt gut-wrenching grief every single morning from being gone from Arizona (vice versa). And it is grief; that's what it feels like. You killed a life you loved, a part of you; and it is grief.

They say it takes the same amount of time to grieve a loss as you spent in the relationship, and I think that is true. We lived in Arizona about 15 years, and that's about how long it took before some of the pain started to go away. The last few years haven't been that bad. The things we moved here for have definitely paid off, and I'm enjoying them. In some ways it was worth it; but it was a steep price. My husband has been happy with the job situation, so that is definitely something.

IMO, people with this home-sickness problem should follow the same plan that people with grief do. Don't expect to feel good. You won't; but after a while the pain lightens up some, even though you still miss whatever your beloved happens to be.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Compromise also helps. Travel more often, take little trips. Part of it is probably the fact that you feel your husband does not take your grief seriously. Or, maybe it's his family?

Ask for a compromise. If we stay a while, can we take a few vacations?

Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Compromise also helps. Travel more often, take little trips. Part of it is probably the fact that you feel your husband does not take your grief seriously. Or, maybe it's his family?

Ask for a compromise. If we stay a while, can we take a few vacations?
One of Arizonas biggest perks are the trips you can take without flying. This is good advice.

Go to Vegas, NM, or California and get away when you can.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:44 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
I know this is an old thread, but I don't care, lol.

I absolutely hate the desert! To me it's beyond barren. I feel like I die inside when ever I visit. Which thankfully isn't very often. I know that the desert is full of life, but not the kind I like (scorpions, various kinds of rattlesnakes, plants that hurt you) . If she came from lush western Washington state, and was forced to move to the desert I would be depressed too. Poor thing.

But a number of years ago I visited Phoenix, and stayed at a house that had a walled garden that would get irrigation a couple times a week. That back yard was a garden of Eden with tropical plants, trees, flowers, resident humming birds. Boy if I lived there I would never leave the backyard, lol. Now that was so beautiful. But the dried up stuff they can keep. And the heat, oh my goodness. I don't like that where I am now either. It was a mistake. Sorry desert lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona