Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I don't care, lol.

I absolutely hate the desert! To me it's beyond barren. I feel like I die inside when ever I visit. Which thankfully isn't very often. I know that the desert is full of life, but not the kind I like (scorpions, various kinds of rattlesnakes, plants that hurt you) . If she came from lush western Washington state, and was forced to move to the desert I would be depressed too. Poor thing.

But a number of years ago I visited Phoenix, and stayed at a house that had a walled garden that would get irrigation a couple times a week. That back yard was a garden of Eden with tropical plants, trees, flowers, resident humming birds. Boy if I lived there I would never leave the backyard, lol. Now that was so beautiful. But the dried up stuff they can keep. And the heat, oh my goodness. I don't like that where I am now either. It was a mistake. Sorry desert lovers.
Thanks for coming by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
^ If you don't like it here then move. No need to cry like a baby on here. I hate it here to. I'm moving to California first job opportunity I get. To me Phoenix feels like a poor man's Riverside County further from the beach and hotter weather.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I feel bad you live in AZ View Post
^ If you don't like it here then move. No need to cry like a baby on here. I hate it here to. I'm moving to California first job opportunity I get. To me Phoenix feels like a poor man's Riverside County further from the beach and hotter weather.
Your brief posting history is all crying like a baby on here and not moving to California...

Old 10-29-2017, 01:05 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,576,600 times
To "I feel bad". Um, speed reading doesn't seem to work for everybody. Never said I lived there now. If you check out my location I'm in Raleigh for the time being getting my bearings. Guess you didn't see the part I wrote about how beautiful the Phoenix tropical backyard was when I visited years ago. I could deal with that if the water bill wasn't too high. That place made me happy. But then you were probably just trolling with your grumpy bad self, lol.

Some people do better in the heat than others. I actually like temps 50-upper 60's with light rain, and clouds. So I would be sol for at least 6 months of the year in the hot desert. I was responding to the OP, and how she was down about moving to the desert from Washington state which she really liked. I understand because I had to move from the Olympic Peninsula recently because of a bad divorce. Things happen, and we have to try, and adjust somehow. I hope she is coping better now. I hope the same for me too.

Last edited by mlulu23; 10-29-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 01:25 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
I know what it's like to live in a place you hate. I moved here ("here" being a town in the SF Bay Area) in 1995. I started hating it in 2011. The things that made Our Town Our Town are being bulldozed...literally. The character is being stomped flat by bulldozers. Gone is the Malibu Grand Prix. Gone is the roller skating rink. There are now ZERO places a family can take their kids for fun. Gone is the women's only gym, the only "safe space" for women of all body types to work out. An office tower is going there. Gone is the best mechanic I've ever had. They're putting up condos where his shop was. The city has finally succeeded in evicting the tenants of Docktown, the quirky floating home marina. It's funny, Seattle's floating homes are considered valuable and interesting, almost a tourist attraction. Here, the city council drew a bead on Docktown 15 years ago because part of it was on land they wanted to to sell to developers.

But hey, Neil Young blogs about the joy of shopping at our Costco. Talk about the choice between burning out and fading away.

Soon this place will be nothing but housing, hotels, office buildings, restaurants and weed shops. I hope those who move here don't mind having nothing to do but get stoned and binge-watch Netflix.

One thing I'll say for Arizona and for Phoenix in particular: There's still land on which to build. And the scenic beauty never ends. The Sonoran Desert is amazing. If you think it's dry and lifeless you don't know anything.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,576,600 times
Hi Fluffy, I'm all out of reps since I spend them quickly like a drunken sailor, lol. I hate it when they tear down history, and memories, and put in new junk all for the big bucks. You wouldn't even be able to recognize a place anymore from what it used to be. Not that I have any roots any place, but I can picture what it would be like. All the old historic buildings that have been razed in the past. It makes me sick. Office towers, and condos, don't they have enough of those already? Losing a very good mechanic really bites. Hopefully he will relocate in the vicinity? Oh no! They evicted houseboats? I love houseboats. Stupid elected officials, seriously. They really know how to ruin a place. Hmmm, they must own a piece of the pie somewhere. Time to vote those suckers out of office. Unless the new ones would be worse, sigh. I'm sorry.

But I do miss my weed shops out here in NC. Getting "stoned and binge-watch Netflix" sounds fun right about now. I've had Fibromyalgia/cfs, or some kind of 24/7 body wide pain for 21yrs. Weed really helped me deal with it. But it's illegal out here so I have to try, and live with constant pain which is pretty nerve wracking. I'm afraid I'll live.

Yes, you are right about the desert being alive. It's just the old "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" adage. There can be beauty in many areas. I just prefer a cooler climate, and more greenery (o:. The heat makes my symptoms much worse too which doesn't help me like it better. And I hate spiders, snakes, and scorpions, ugh. There are a million kinds of snakes in NC too for that matter.

Well, it's good that we don't all like the same types of places otherwise it would be terribly crowded.

P.S I do love Sedona though, except for the millions of tourists of which I would be one more, lol.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 9,687 times
I'm debating moving back to my home in Arizona right this minute I moved away 11 years ago and I've tried to run it out my house has been destroyed by Runners but hey whatever I'll go back and fix it up but the area is very economically depressed now and used to have a youth center in a community garden and all kinds of things going on and now all that is dried up apparently. 30% of my little town has moved away so I'm kind of leery to move my 18 year old son to a place that has no jobs or anything going on right now. But he can't stay where we are because he's in trouble around here so I think no matter where you go people will make the best or the worst of it.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 9,687 times
Renters not runners..about the same thing lol talking in my phone out in south ga pasture didnt catch typos sorry

Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,266 times
I had to live in Milwaukee for three years and disliked it until I just went with the culture there until I could finally find a way to move. I lived in Texas for five years and disliked it for four years but the last year was amazing after I embraced it as well. I just found if I explored the areas I could find something I appreciated about it. I, too, am stuck in Arizona (I am a native, so I feel entitled to speaking poorly of it but I won't). I have done everything here with the exception of the Grand Canyon but I am hiking to the bottom in a few weeks. I will wait untill the opportunity presents when I can move. I all actuality I do the same things wherever I live. Restaurants, movies, shopping, hiking, exploring... I love Northern Virginia and have lived there on and off for years. It is expensive and I am single so it never works out...but my heart is there, not here. I gues I must accept the fact that I'll never make it work and I am "stuck" her but I just put it out of my mind and stay busy. I feel for you.
The truth is...it is miserable to live in your dream state if you can't afford it. Everything boils down to money. As for grad school for your husband...is it worth it? Will it open doors. Can he do his job without it? If so, than the money spent in obtaining it is not worth it.
My biggest piece of advice is to find a community where you have purpose, or belong to...whether it is church or a interst club.
Good luck you're not alone!

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,976,050 times
I grew up in Nova...unless you have a high paying job, it is a terrible place to be. Basic living expenses will eat you alive. Quality of life has gone down about as fast as prices have gone up..complete with MS13 and homeless beggars at traffic intersections. I would take Hong Kong any day of the week over Fairfax County..for about the same money, but with much better food and drink, nightlife, and views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona