Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 04:31 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
But drinking your own pee??
What. Would you rather drink some one else's pee?
Besides, every true Arizonian (GGG) only drinks pee when they run out of rattlesnake blood to drink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 05:19 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Besides, every true Arizonian (GGG) only drinks pee when they run out of rattlesnake blood to drink!

Old 08-18-2021, 06:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:
I've been hording snake blood for when the water restrictions take effect..funny, they decided to institute water restrictions now that the drought has eased big time, and we've had more rain recently then in ages..

Oh well, I guess i can start to nip on the snake blood again..

Old 08-20-2021, 04:29 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually...AZ parents don't care about their kids...that is why we send them to suffer 3rd degree burns on playground equipment and die of heat stroke at school. Then the parents can enjoy lazy days drinking margaritas by the pool while the kids suffer with sub-standard education and possible maiming from the school system.
I be curious in this day and age are there schools that are not fully air conditioned in this oven of a state? If so that would be insane. I would be curious how anything in the classroom can last. As even markers would be ruined at that temperature. Not to mention teachers getting heat exhaustion and not be able to teach.*
So do parents actually take kids to park playgrounds in the afternoon in the middle of summer in the Valley of the Sun? That would be insane both for the kid and the parents.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmaniac View Post
I wonder if the OP realizes that their list of "cons" might actually be the equivalent of an advertisement for moving to AZ for some people.* I'm looking for places to move to to get out of Colorado and Arizona is probably top on my list.* Every time I've been down there the people have been great and sociable, and the scenery was actually very good - Grand Canyon could hardly be called an eyesore.* Been looking at Flagstaff for the weather (need to check winters there), and Scottsdale was a really fun town when I checked it out.
It appears from what I know Colorado can be more liberal than California in someways. Yes its not uncommon for hotel rooms in Colorado to smell like pot. I am surprised at why. Though it appears Arizona is surrounded by progressive states I be curious its a matter of when it too would be just like its neighbors.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not sure what the hang up is about the school year but let's look at that. The "traditional" school schedule was developed during a time when Agriculture was the main economic driver in the country. Children were expected to be working the fields to bring in the harvest during the summer. Fast forward 100 years and people are still hung up on this 3 month Summer Vacation when study after study shows it is detrimental to the students' knowledge retention. There are schools and school systems all over the country that have year-round or modified year-round schedules. Parents work year round...it works out better all the way around as you can schedule time off during better weather as far as in state vacations are concerned. Has nothing to do with "Haves and Have Nots".

Heat in cars is not exclusive to AZ. You learn to deal with it.

There are multiple threads regarding water usage but this is not the thread for that.

This is the thread to tell you that we enslave out children in school because we are too poor to take them on vacation, the heat will melt your car into a puddle of goo and we drink our own pee to stay hydrated.

Have a great day.
Speaking of traditional calendar the myth that it was driven by Agriculture was debunked quite a while ago. Kids had to take time off school more during the spring and fall for Harvest. Before there was standardlized*mass public education schedules those who owned schools tried to hold school as much as possible during the summer however they were still forced to take summer days/weeks off from time to time as in the old pre air conditioned days classrooms often simply got too hot for learning during heat waves. The calendar in a number of districts especially Chandler which is the nations earliest starting district actually resembles more of the Agriculture calendar with a long fall break.

Speaking of year round schools(made possible courtesy of air conditioning) it appears an experiment that were eventually abolished in many parts of the country. Apparently the multi track schedule was found to be more trouble than it was worth. It appears one of the reasons its very difficult to find child care or programs during the off tracks throughout the year and it could be a nightmare of having different kids in different tracks or traditional school in the same family. Though consequently school districts around the country changed their strategy to push all traditional students into a modified schedule which resulted in the super early starts these days. I am not sure what Arizona used to be like but this is the case in many other states including Arizona's western neighbor of California. They start early to have an extra fall break, exams out of the way before Christmas, more untraditional days off in the year, and more of the school year before standardized tests, proficiency tests, AP, and SAT/ACTs which in most states takes place in April or May. Though as with year round schools its not easy to find child care or programs during untraditional breaks that varies wildly from district to district and not every parent can take leave from their jobs at the same time. If the issue is solely summer being too long they could always had followed other countries including Canada, the UK, etc and run school until end of June or beginning of July. Instead of they simply shifted the timing of summer vacation forward towards May. Though I do agree if schools are fully air conditioned it may benefit some students to have it open in the summer, particularly if they also have a multi use room or gymnasium as opposed to have it go to waste for 2 months and a half while kids and parents have to pay to go to the YMCA.

I be curious what is the percentage of people in the valley or hot sections of the state who have summer homes in a cooler area of Arizona i.e Flagstaff or out of state?

True a car parked even in 80 degree weather under the sun can get to 100f within 15 minutes. But shade does make a big difference. I be curious why not more shade is built in a place where 110+ temperatures are not uncommon. One can imagine how fast the car reach boiling temperatures under the sun in that case. I assume nothing can be left in the car in a phoenix, not even a garage remote unless you desire to replace them often. Also in car electronics can fail early in such heat. A remote starter is a must.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-20-2021 at 05:22 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 11:20 AM

Well, looks like Arizona is going to run out of water tomorrow. Again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...its-water.html

Old 11-05-2021, 11:46 AM

wait, I thought we were already out of water....didnt you tell me to start shifting to alcohol now, to avoid the supply chain shortage?

Old 11-05-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
wait, I thought we were already out of water....didnt you tell me to start shifting to alcohol now, to avoid the supply chain shortage?
Can't remember, I may have been drunk or high. I do remember saying not to drink the pee though .. .

Old 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I do remember saying not to drink the pee though .. .

Always good advice..

Old 07-05-2022, 02:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Think it is time to fire this one up again.

AZ is breaking new ground by brewing beer with reclaimed water

Oh and we are all going to die when the water gets shut off next week.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:17 PM

You know, I still haven't actually seen a rattlesnake here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona