Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM

78 posts, read 327,025 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to visit Las Vegas next month and wanted to also go to the Grand Canyon. Most of the bus tours tend to leave very early so we were planning to rent a car and drive ourselves. Is it worth it to go on our own, or tours are better? We have young kids so weren't sure if it's better just driving ourselves so we can leave and stop at our own times. Also if we go on our own are there tours guides there, and is there an area we should go to for the best views and the skywalk?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:04 AM

176 posts, read 264,396 times
My wife and I visited the Grand Canyon several years ago and did our own thing. I can't imagine why anyone would want to spoil such an experience by being packed in with other humans while a tour guide yammers on. That would have totally ruined it for us. You can search online for the best places to go and don't really need someone else dictating what you see and how much time you spend.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:11 AM

746 posts, read 884,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
My wife and I visited the Grand Canyon several years ago and did our own thing. I can't imagine why anyone would want to spoil such an experience by being packed in with other humans while a tour guide yammers on. That would have totally ruined it for us. You can search online for the best places to go and don't really need someone else dictating what you see and how much time you spend.
This is exactly correct.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,475,925 times
I went to Vegas and rented a car, then drove to the West Rim. I wouldn't bother with a tour.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 AM

78 posts, read 327,025 times
Thank you for the responses, we will most likely do the same, just rent a car and do the tour on our own.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,737,516 times
The one benefit of a tour is that they often get to park closer to the viewing areas. At certain times, each turn-off can be hard to park at & therefore you end up walking a lot.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

176 posts, read 264,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The one benefit of a tour is that they often get to park closer to the viewing areas. At certain times, each turn-off can be hard to park at & therefore you end up walking a lot.
It would require even less effort if you just parked on your couch and rented a Grand Canyon DVD. None of that pesky hiking required

Edit- Oh, OP, consider taking a pair of binoculars. I wish I would have when I went.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:20 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,013,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Park at the Visitors Center and use the free shuttle buses. Problem solved.

OP, also be aware the Skywalk is not part of the National Park it is run by Native Americans and is in a different location.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,993,913 times
Avoid the tours if possible, unless you like being surrounded by stinkers and Japanese tourists. Seriously. I would recommend starting at Mathers Point and driving down to the Watchtower, hitting up the several outlooks between the two. Itll take up a good chunk of the day, and is very easy to navigate (one road in, one road out). Not to mention each overlook offers different views. My personal fave is the Desert View/Watchtower viewpoint. Amazing.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,024,669 times
I don't think a tour is necessary. The Grand Canyon is amazing to behold even if you just peek out at one of the many observation areas. If you're inclined to enjoy tours but can't make one due to your schedule, I don't think you'll miss all that much. Just being there is worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona