Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why do you look down on unsuccessful people? Why the barely-concealed sneer?

Could it be you need to keep the poor down so you can feel good about yourself? Because otherwise you'd be all over jobs programs and time-limited housing assistance, because they've proven to be successful at giving people a hand up.

Actually, I think you learned the elitist attitude from your public school teachers.
Interesting response.

Maybe posters like him (and Bernie Sanders) are the ones that are truly holding these people down, as opposed to us crazy capitalists that think that everybody is capable of doing great things if they are willing to put forth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 01:59 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Oh, trust me, being a former military officer, I know all about the massive fraud, waste, and abuse that goes on in the federal government.

That certainly doesn't mean that it's not happening with SNAP and similar programs.
If you're worried about what money goes you should really be focused on corporate subsidies. I'd rather support poor people than billion dollar+ companies... Don't you agree?

Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
And when the crime rate skyrockets they will wonder why.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
If you're worried about what money goes you should really be focused on corporate subsidies. I'd rather support poor people than billion dollar+ companies... Don't you agree?
Both are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
And when the crime rate skyrockets they will wonder why.
Luckily, Arizona is an open carry state and I just bought my first gun. If they try to kill me, I'll kill them first.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
[quote=RogueMom;44633037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Most people who are poor and have kids didn't PLAN to have kids, it is usually an accidental conception.
W/QUOTE]

Do you REALLY believe that? How about after the 3, 4, 5th child. The same social services agencies that pay welfare benefits are associated with public health departments that offer clear instruction on how to obtain free to low cost birth control. The problem is, having babies is the key to the benefits. It's our fault for having a system that's set up that way - it's their fault for deciding it's an acceptable life style to live.
Funny then, how countries with MORE generous social safety net and strong universal, taxpayer-funded services have far fewer problems with young people getting children they cant afford. You are just creating a more desperate underclass when you promote these callous policies. The result will not be what you want.

I do suspect that this is what the donor class want to happen though. They are not stupid. They know the consequences of their actions. An even more desperate underclass will create a society more based on fear. This is great news in order to control people. It will also give them more cannon fodder in future wars for profits. Divide and rule. Thats the American donor class way.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:39 AM

604 posts, read 934,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
Someone on the thread mentioned drug testing on food stamp recipients. That actually didn't work out too good. Too much money wasted on it while only less than 1% that were tested came out positive.

Drug Tests For Food Stamps: Terrible Policy, By The Numbers - Vocativ
First, I think it’s admirable that someone refers to research on which to base an opinion. Giving readers an option to look at data is a good thing. Thank you for posting this. In my opinion there seems to be a more common tendency toward personal attacks (“you’re stupid”, “you don’t really believe that do you?”, etc) when discussing issues.

But...
When looking at data it’s also revealing to look at it’s source. The article referenced above (about the failure of drug testing for food stamp benefits) is based on data from such organizations as “Think Progress” and “The Sentencing Project”. Both of these organizations are committed liberal groups that decry any decrease is the power of the administrative state. However, I again praise a poster for something other than name calling and ridicule to further the discussion.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why do you look down on unsuccessful people? Why the barely-concealed sneer?

Could it be you need to keep the poor down so you can feel good about yourself? Because otherwise you'd be all over jobs programs and time-limited housing assistance, because they've proven to be successful at giving people a hand up.

Actually, I think you learned the elitist attitude from your public school teachers.
No, I used to be an idealist, who thought that anybody could do anything, but 33 years on this earth 15 of which in the real world post high school have let reality set in, someone with an IQ of 102 (100 is avg) is not going to be a medical doctor or engineer no matter how hard they try.

Furthermore, there are more people than there are jobs available, and new businesses are not opening up at a fast enough rate. We are now in an economy where college grads with masters degrees are having to work at Starbucks ffs.

With cost of living going up and wages going down, if you take gov't assistance away from the needy, all that will happen is crime will go up. When I worked construction, one of my coworkers was the nicest guy; but you would never know that he spent 8 years in prison for NEARLY beating a man to death with a baseball bat because he wanted his money, unless he told you. A lot of otherwise crazy things can suddenly look rational when you are homeless and starving...

Old 07-04-2016, 06:46 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Sure let's kick the poor people while they're down. We need money for private prisons and private school vouchers anyway.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Sure let's kick the poor people while they're down. We need money for private prisons and private school vouchers anyway.
Every private prison needs to.be taken over by the government, corrections is not a for profit industry, and just like defense contractors, these "private" prisons still get there money from the government. It's not like they can charge inmates the $200/day it costs to keep them locked up and fed

Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 AM

449 posts, read 495,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Have you ever thought that some are poor BECAUSE THEY HAD KIDS? Take me for instance, I make good money, but if I had a kid, wouldn't be so good anymore, due to the kid costing $1 of every $5 I make to raise without bringing anything back.

Unless you make 6 figures these days, having a kid will move you down minimum one social class if not two

This is so wrong. I have a friend who has a kid, and he says it's really not expensive to raise a child. They basically eat what you cook, their clothes are cheap, public schools are free, they don't need cash, the occasional doctors appointment, and then time for entertainment and fun. It really doesn't cost a lot to have a kid, maybe as they grow older it will cost more until they start working. I do understand infant stage requires you to buy specific products, but if you can't deal with that then you're probably just so low income you probably shouldn't have a child yet.

I think people have exaggerated the whole raising a kid is expensive. Now I do admit I don't have a kid but my friend only makes 40k and is doing just fine, and in fact he had his kid when he was making even less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona